View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AMERICAN/BRITISH TV (MAINLY SCI FI) 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: AMERICAN/BRITISH TV (MAINLY SCI FI)
Interesting juxtaposition... Benny Hill and Curly were much alike, on and off screen. Never realized it before.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

The (american) Office has been a "hit" show, although the quality of it has been hit-or-miss. My wife and I enjoy the PBS shows shown through the "Masterpiece Mystery" brand as direct imports. The Inspector Lewis series has been decent although we often wonder if there are any people left alive in Oxford based on the amount of strange murders that happen there. ;)

I'd have to go back to the "Hitchhiker's Guide" shows to tell you one I really liked. Red Dwarf was fun but I never managed to see it all.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 am
Profile WWW

JusTin wrote:
The Inspector Lewis series has been decent although we often wonder if there are any people left alive in Oxford based on the amount of strange murders that happen there. ;)

I became a devoted fan of British detective series by watching Masterpiece Theater, starting with Lord Peter Wimsey, Inspector Lynley*, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyle's War, the "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren, as DCI Jane Tennison. Sadly, I only saw a few of this last series.

Just recently read all of the books that I could get a hold of that which were used as the basis of several of them.

A non-mystery series I liked was "The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard" starring Jane Horrocks. I was very disappointed that it got dropped before really finishing up. I first saw her in a movie called "Little Voice" which was written especially for her to take advantage of a talent she has of being able to sing using voices of famous singers. She was fantastic in it, although it was a very sad movie, IMO, which I am not usually fond of.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147004/

*Elizabeth George, the author of the Inspector Lynley books, is an American, but writes great British Mysteries.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:21 am
Profile WWW

I must admit that most of the detective/mystery series that we produce bore the pants off me! ;)

However one you should see if they show it over there is A Touch of Frost - it stars David Jason who is better known a a comedy actor - Open All Hours and (most noteably) Only Fools and Horses (which is probably one of the greatest comedy shows ever written IMO) The show is a fairly typical murder/mystery but the lead character (Jack Frost - yes a really dodgy pun) is portayed as a very typical bloke with a distinctive sense of humour. Definately not as strait laced as Morse et al.

JusTin wrote:
The Inspector Lewis series has been decent although we often wonder if there are any people left alive in Oxford based on the amount of strange murders that happen there. ;)

If you want a really dodgy place to live, try a village called Midsommer. This is the setting for "The Midsommer Murders" a pretty good detective series, but has been going for at least 10 years with around 12 episodes per series and an average of 15 murders pers series. Which totals at least 150 murders in one "typical" english village!! And I thought Wolverhampton was a dodgy place to live!

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 am
PITA Bred

KeithJones923 wrote:
If you want a really dodgy place to live, try a village called Midsommer. This is the setting for "The Midsommer Murders" a pretty good detective series, but has been going for at least 10 years with around 12 episodes per series and an average of 15 murders pers series. Which totals at least 150 murders in one "typical" english village!!

Much like our long-running series "Murder, She Wrote," which was set in a tiny town on the northeastern sea coast. I have no idea what the final body count was, and many were outside the immediate area as the author/detective central character traveled to visit her 521 nieces and nephews, but the murder rate in that town for those ten years... it's a wonder there was anyone left!

On second thought, though, it seems like your show would be the perfect place for someone questing to put bad things right. You know, a Midsommer knight's dream.

You're right that most television serial mystery shows are pretty boring - one or two really good eps a season, and filler. It's when it gets to self-parodying filler that it's really time to quit.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:41 pm
Centennial Attendee

Now that this has opened up and I don't have to stick to sci-fi:
Monty Python (cannot be anything but first)
Black Adder -- I know lots of people don't get it, but I love it
Jeeves and Wooster adaptations -- more Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie!
the Poirot mysteries
Bishop of Dibley
The Young Ones
As Time Goes By -- made the the decades past 50 look cozy and fun, and not scary; came along at the right time for me
there was a Robin Hood series that looked magically delicious, but saw only a few episodes

American sci-fi TV favs (and a couple not really sci-fi) are:
Star Trek (esp. TOS, NG - #1, and V)
Firefly
Alien Nation
Babylon 5 but I only saw the first two or three seasons
X-Files -- we're watching season 4; X-Files are a Halloween tradition for us
Boston Legal
Northern Exposure
M.A.S.H.

In the last two seasons, South Park has moved past all other modern animated series, IMHO. And Team America is my favorite animated movie, but we're not talking movies, or I'd have to add Them and Forbidden Planet and so many more of the oldies to the American sci-fi list, as well as the newer The Man From Earth, which is a little bit like a conversation with L. Long right before the ship lifts.

TV I could never get into:
the Stooges -- they are soo mindlessly violent and depressing
Alf
spectator sports, whether openly staged or not

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm
PITA Bred

freesharon wrote:
TV I could never get into:
the Stooges -- they are soo mindlessly violent and depressing

I once saw a note about the average age at which men and women realize the Three Stooges are pointless and juvenile:

• Men: 22.3 years.
  • Women: Second trimester.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm
NitroForum Oldster

while appreciation of slapstick humor may have a gender bias, I'm thinking that it's the sort of thing that either strikes you as funny or it falls flat on it's face

with that said, I'll throw in a vote for Laurel and Hardy- a notch above the 3 stooges imho- Stan's stupid grin and fluffing of his hair will make me giggle in a heartbeat ! yep lotsa pratfalls for Stan and Ollie but never any blood :) or broken bones- oh yeah Stan Laurel was a brit !

as for (almost) contemporary tv will also throw in a vote for Third Watch and the Sopranos- i'm discovering that i definitely have a bias for ensemble acting! Sorry folks I don't watch a whole lot of network tv here-

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm
Heinlein Nexus

JamesGifford wrote:
I once saw a note about the average age at which men and women realize the Three Stooges are pointless and juvenile:

• Men: 22.3 years.
  • Women: Second trimester.

Evidently I am enjoying an eternal youth.

I spent some glorious days at the Nuart for Stooge revivals.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

Blackadder is absolutely fantastic and the young ones was the series of my youth!

OK American shows I love(d) - Married with children (I am Al Bundy! Well my kids think so anyway!)

The Cosby show. Fresh Prince. Get Smart (Quite liked the film too). Then more serious - Heroes, Flash Forward and CSI.

freesharon wrote:
Black Adder -- I know lots of people don't get it, but I love it
Jeeves and Wooster adaptations -- more Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie!

I loved the Fry & Laurie stuff. I still cant watch House without waiting for Hugh Laurie to do something silly!

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next