View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Here, piggy, piggy... 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Here, piggy, piggy...
So... pandemics are on-topic, given their mention in Friday... your predictions, please. H1N1: hysteria or apocalypse? (We can stipulate as to the amount of fearmongering and irrational comments as given; they're always present. The question is, now that we have surpassed 1000 deaths in the USA - and yes, I know the regular 'flu kills more - are we in for something unusual in the four horsemen department?)

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Here, piggy, piggy...
My son just ahd the swine flu. The doctor was utterly nonchalant about it. So, I vote hysteria.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 am
Centennial Attendee

Here in Tulsa we have had one teen death already -- the day before his 16th birthday, no less. So the hysteria is on -- especially in the schools, where my husband and I work. My doctor tells me that half to two thirds of all the local high school football players have already had it.
I don't expect we will lose more people to this flu, just different people. Losing teens is more shocking than losing elderly relatives and neighbors you honestly didn't expect would make it through another winter, anyway. (Lots of elderly retirees in my neighborhood.)
We have been asked to stay home if we think we are sick, and most seem to be doing so.

I think we might have had two swine flu deaths last winter -- a healthy pregant woman in her twenties, and a teen -- that were unexplained at the time. Anyone else see any such possible forerunners, looking back?

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:57 am
PITA Bred

Hysteria.

Which is going to cost us when H5N1 sweeps through and the bodies start piling up.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 am

mmmm, i want some bacon! sorry.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:35 am

There is a large dollop of hysteria going around. One of the local school districts has been averaging three hundred students a day out with various forms of the flu. One good outcome of the hysteria has been the increase in people paying attention to symptoms and actually getting treatment or staying home and getting over the flu.

Rob

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm
PITA Bred

RobWright wrote:
One good outcome of the hysteria has been the increase in people paying attention to symptoms and actually getting treatment or staying home and getting over the flu.

The fault of patent nostrum sellers who for decades have conflated colds and flu. Yes, flu can resemble a cold, but it's a potentially deadly disease and advertisers never should have been permitted to equate the two. Everyone is better off if you stay home with mild symptoms than drag your miasma of infection around in public. The next guy (or his kid, or his granny) might not be so resistant.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm

JamesGifford wrote:
RobWright wrote:
The next guy (or his kid, or his granny) might not be so resistant.

Kids most definitely.

However, according to two sources, one the CDC's MMWR, report, people born before 1950 are much less susceptible to H1N1, because of immunities gained during earlier rounds of variations of the H1N1 virus. (starting in the 1920s and reappearing in the 1940s).

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

RobWright wrote:
There is a large dollop of hysteria going around. One of the local school districts has been averaging three hundred students a day out with various forms of the flu. One good outcome of the hysteria has been the increase in people paying attention to symptoms and actually getting treatment or staying home and getting over the flu.

Rob

I think the hysteria started because someone early on at CDC noted that the H1N1 is genetically similar to the Spanish Influenza famed of 1918 fame. But that is not really anything special about the Influenza virus -- about a third of all varieties are as similar to the Spanish Flu as the H1N1 is. So there's a mix of genuine concern and media hysteria.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:01 am
NitroForum Oldster

Both my wife and our 21 year old daughter have had H1N1 within the past month. So far I, my son, and our other daughter have escaped. It's nasty, but the major symptoms seem to pass in about 4-5 days. The good thing is, they no longer have to worry about being vaccinated for it! :lol:

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next