View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Your OTHER Interests? 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Your OTHER Interests?
JohnBlack wrote:
Jeez...I feel insignificant now. lol.

No need! Did you get a sense of how *old* I am? That many years brings lots of opportunity.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

JohnBlack wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:
I am not familiar with Mauldin and Russell - are they book authors or newsletter writers? I wasn't certain if you were linking them to Agora's or not. If they are book authors what do you recommend as a first read from them (assuming that they've published more than once).

I believe China will be the next super-power. What do you think? Their economy is expanding and we owe them a LOT of money.

Mauldin's written a book, don't know about Russell. They both write newsletters. There are a couple of books collecting the output of the Agora people too - look for Bill Bonner and Addison Wiggin. They tend to be more pessimistic and less rigorous. Richard Daughty is also a fun read and has been banging the gold drum for years. Mauldin frequently quotes very thoughtful writers such as the Stratfor group who provide fascinating insights on, e.g., Iraq.

There's a lot of agreement with you on China. Frankly I don't know how they will cut the cord linking them to American consumer purchases, which is how they got rich, but their gradual inflation of the yuan (or is it renmibi? I always forget) and their cementing of resource deals around the world with countries besides the US suggests they have a plan. The pace of construction in China is mind boggling. I can't remember actual figures but it is orders of magnitude above the US rate.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:38 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Peter Scott wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:

I believe China will be the next super-power. What do you think? Their economy is expanding and we owe them a LOT of money.

There's a lot of agreement with you on China. Frankly I don't know how they will cut the cord linking them to American consumer purchases, which is how they got rich, but their gradual inflation of the yuan (or is it renmibi? I always forget) and their cementing of resource deals around the world with countries besides the US suggests they have a plan. The pace of construction in China is mind boggling. I can't remember actual figures but it is orders of magnitude above the US rate.

I believe that the expansion of the Chinese middle class is driving up the demand for goods once deemed only suitable for the wealthy. This in turn is expanding the industries that serve their own citizens. As with all major socio-economic changes it is the smaller companies / factories that feel the pinch as larger companies form and push them out - not necessarily in a hostile manner - its just the way it is. Many old time factories are now closing because they cannot compete. NPR had an article last month in which they indicated that people are finding the scrapping business to tear down old factories more lucrative than running the factories themselves. Meanwhile the new factories are being built by large corporations.

How this will play out against their communist government situation remains to be seen. I note that in spite of the country's improved growth in the middle class there is still much poverty throughout the country and the government was not able to effectively deal with this past winters horrendous weather conditions which shut down entire cities and travel infrastructure for weeks at a time.

China may well be approaching the eve of their own age of robber barons.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:35 am
Centennial Attendee

Perhaps we need a separate forum or thread on the economic situation and where to go from here (or perhaps, between here and the root cellar) and I for one would love to hear what other members of this forum have to say about what appears to be coming, how to prepare, where and when to expect what, etc., as well as where to read more. Anyone with expertise in that area want to get that ball rolling?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 am
Centennial Attendee

In a slideshow accompanying a <i>Scientific American</i> article that quotes me (saying something boring) (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=rocket-pack), I am pictured wearing an original Bell Rocket Belt:

http://www.sciam.com/slideshow.cfm?id=jet-pack

Click through all the slides until the sixth and last.

Thu May 01, 2008 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

beamjockey wrote:
In a slideshow accompanying a <i>Scientific American</i> article... I am pictured wearing an original Bell Rocket Belt.

Now that is really cool. I've always been fascinated by artifacts of The Future That Never Was -- not to say that nothing like this will ever function as intended, but that the future where commuters everywhere get up and strap on of these on for the jump to the office seems pretty unlikely (and undesireable) at this point. As a kid I loved it but, now, having experienced the morning commute via the highway system, it scares me to death to think of the sky full of commuters choosing their own paths while eating mcbreakfast and talking on the phone.

Thu May 01, 2008 5:02 am
NitroForum Oldster

JohnBlack wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:
Only remotely related but by any chance did you read Freakonomics? If so, what did you think?

I haven't; so I just placed a hold on it at the library. From the Amazon reviews it appears to be concerned with social issues more than finance, which is where my interests lie. I read Agora Financial's newsletters, John Mauldin, and Richard Russell. Freakin' scary stuff, people.

Absolutely on the mark - its more about social issues...which is why I said it was only remotely related. If you're looking for deep econ math then you will be disappointed.

Peter,

Did you get around to reading (or listening to) Freakonomics? Were you disappointed or did you like it? I'm currently listening to a basic econ course (I've had econ 101 before this is just for refresher's sake) put out by Barnes and Noble under the "Portable Professor Series" and titled "The Money Game". Its not fantastic but it is good; it would be too elementary for you. The title that is fantastic in this series is "Man, Myth and Monsters" by Prof Shutt which examines the epics - Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeniad, The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.

I do a lot of driving into and out of Manhattan and audio books on many diverse topics have helped me stay awake while driving up the West Side Highway many a time at 2am. As it happens I just finished listening to "Rocket Ship Galileo" read by Spider Robinson.

Fri May 23, 2008 2:22 am
Heinlein Nexus

JohnBlack wrote:
Did you get around to reading (or listening to) Freakonomics? Were you disappointed or did you like it? I'm currently listening to a basic econ course (I've had econ 101 before this is just for refresher's sake) put out by Barnes and Noble under the "Portable Professor Series" and titled "The Money Game". Its not fantastic but it is good; it would be too elementary for you. The title that is fantastic in this series is "Man, Myth and Monsters" by Prof Shutt which examines the epics - Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeniad, The Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.

Yep, I read Freakonomics. It's certainly not in the area of my current interest - macroeconomics (my gold is going up nicely, Jim), but a good read. I think some of his conclusions were a bit facile in a Mensa-ish "Well of course it follows that" kind of way. I wonder whether he has a bodyguard. He has quite the way of picking topics where his pronouncements are guaranteed to enrage large numbers of volatile people.

Lately I've been reading the Greek section of Bullfinch's Mythology, figuring I should improve my classical background. The stories all blend together into this marvelous collage of god takes revenge on another god for stealing his mate by turning into a bee and impaling him with a stinger that fell out and became the island of Phosphorus where a lonely farmer saw what happened and wished for a wife and he got one only she turned into a tree, that sort of thing.

Sat May 24, 2008 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Sheeesh, always late to the party.

I knit...robots, among other things. I belly dance. I work on conventions (working on Gamestorm right now). And James, you'll never believe it but I'm a grandmother! My oldest got married and his wife had a baby last year, a little boy.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:21 pm
NitroForum Oldster

beamjockey wrote:
In a slideshow accompanying a <i>Scientific American</i> article ... I am pictured wearing an original Bell Rocket Belt
Neat, Bill! Your references inspired me to write up a little comment with links at http://www.Troynovant.com: Rocket Belts' Slow Liftoff.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next