View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Your OTHER Interests? 

Post Re: Your OTHER Interests?
Dogs, Cats, Wild predators, Poker, Bridge, Role-playing Games, SF, Fantasy, Other fiction, baseball, other sports, the Iditarod, Parrots (in self-defense)

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Too many to post, but....

• Writing. I'm a technical writer to pay the bills, and eventually want to move into science writing full-time. As a writer I've developed web sites for a number of non-profit groups (including Amnesty International's first online home), and written about various aspects of research into high-energy physics and experimental power generation technologies for general audiences and scientifically and technically literate audiences whose main focus was in other fields of science and technology. I've also written some fiction and some poetry, but that doesn't seem to be my main mode, possibly because I find many of the actual facts of this world and the human race far more interesting than any fiction.
  • Painting. I decided to be an artist when I was seven years old. In college I figured out that I wasn't quite talented or ambitious enough to be the kind of artist I wanted to be (pure fine art) and make a living at it, but I still do it and still love it. I also use the skills I gained in a couple of years of art institute classes to supplement my technical writing with technical illustrations that show exactly what I want to show.
  • Human Rights. I've been an advocate for human rights and a grass-roots activist to promote human rights since high school. For me, the idea of a government misusing its power to harm or kill people whose only crime is to hold and express opinions that those running the government don't like is an outrage against justice that cries out for the perpetrators to be exposed, shamed publicly, and hounded out of power. Perhaps an even greater outrage against justice is harming or killing innocent people whose only crime is to be a family member of somebody the government doesn't like, or a member of a racial or ethnic group the government doesn't like.
  • Space. I'm the daughter of a space-nut mother who woke her up to watch the first broadcast from the moon, among many other things. That and my early discovery of science fiction and fantasy guaranteed my ongoing fascination with all parts of the U.S. government's space program (NASA), the space programs of other governments (Russia/Soviet Union and now the ESA, China, India, Japan, and Brazil), and especially private space flight. I was present for all three flights of SpaceShipOne, including the one where Scaled Composites won the Ansari X-Prize. I'm also following the work of X-Cor Aerospace and SpaceX.

There's a lot else I like to do and a lot of other things I care about, but these seem to be the constants over much of my childhood and all of my adult life. Since my next big milestone birthday is 50 (yes, the half century mark), I don't think that will change overall, although part of the pattern is that I get interested in new stuff ever so often. :-)

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

sakeneko wrote:
I'm a technical writer to pay the bills, and eventually want to move into science writing full-time.

Ah. (fx wistful stare) I was in that exact place for about ten years, most of my 20s. Never did quite make the transition and sank into litcrit instead. :)
Quote:
Since my next big milestone birthday is 50 (yes, the half century mark)...

*sigh*. Me, too, and I just can't figure out where all those missing pages of the calendar went.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:56 pm
NitroForum Oldster

sakeneko wrote:
Since my next big milestone birthday is 50

Once you get a few years past the half-century mark like me it won't seem like such a big deal. I'm determined to enjoy my decrepitude. I've earned it. :twisted:

Quite an impressive list of "other" interests. Thanks for sharing.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

Jim, I did the litcrit in my 20s, still do sometime but rarely. I found that while I like reviewing good books, and I've got a perfectly valid BA in literature, I don't think or write like most "literature" afficionados. Might be that I have sub-zero respect for or interest in post-modernism, and might be that I liked getting paid better for my work. :-)

Jack, I'm not worried about my 50th birthday. I figure that reaching it sure beats the alternative. ;-)

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3