View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Photography 
NitroForum Oldster

Post Photography
Are any of you also avid photographers as I am? I shoot with the following equipment

Nikon D80 (digital)
Nikkor 28-80/F3.5
Nikkor AF-D 80-200/F2.8 (my best lens)
Speedlight SB-800
Nikon N70 (film)
A cheap Quantaray Tripod (that I hope to replace soon with a Bogen).

Additionally, I have a couple of antique cameras. An Argus brick and two Russian cameras - a Kiev 35mm and a Medium format camera whose name I can't type here because of the Cyrillic alphabet.

Here's my Flickr site where I keep the photos I wish to share.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23469386@N04/

Anyone else?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:19 am
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Photography
JohnBlack wrote:
Anyone else?

Yes, indeed, and I'm even more of a retro photographer. I shoot everything on film and develop the B&W myself, although I purchased a digital Leica P&S for my wife. I do digitize my photos by scanning the negatives to JPEGs. The cameras I use most frequently in order are:

1. Leica M3
2. Pentax K1000
3. Leica IIIa
4. Konica S2

On the Leicas, since they're rangefinders, I use a variety of fixed focal length lenses. On the Pentax, I use FFL as well as zoom lenses. The Konica has a fixed 45mm lens. I have a couple of auxillary finders for the Leicas. I never use flash.

Some of my stuff can be seen at http://photo.net/photos/jkelly04 but I haven't posted anything new in a few months.

By the way, that's some very nice work on flickr, John.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:43 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Photography has always been an integral part of my design and publication career, but I've never been a whole-hog shutterbug. My equipment has been episodically obtained.

Way back when, for mostly technical photography, I had a Canon AE-1P with several lenses and some specially rigged tabletop lighting.

I then had a couple of upper-end digital P&S'es and when I had a yen to do some art photography, I built a rig around an Olympus E-20N and some Lowell monolights, later adding three Alien Bees flash heads and all the various stuff that goes with it. I still love the feel of the E-20 in my hands but in a recent portrait session discovered I could no longer overlook its very slow action and write times.

Then I had to make a decision about what to carry on a major vacation this June. I have a decent Canon A95 that sits at hand for family photos and other quick work, and wasn't sure whether to stay with it, pick up a better P&S, or go whole hog again. I finally decided that the difficulty of carrying a full rig was worth the benefits, so I just recently kitted out with:

• Canon 40D body
  • Canon 35-128 IS
  • Canon 100 2.8 Macro
  • Canon 70-200 IS L
  • Metz 58 AF-1C flash

I looked at Nikon, as I have before, and found, as before, that Nikon is sort of the Bose of the imaging world - unquestionable quality, but you can get as-good for less if you know what you're doing. I've always preferred Canon anyway, and a Nikon D300 setup would have cost me at least half again as much as my 40D setup, for only very modest improvements in spec.

I had also considered waiting for the Canon 450D, but it won't be out until sometime this month and the hotsie "gotta have the newest right now" pricing pushed it almost to 40D territory. I also find the xxxD/Rebel series too small for my hands. I don't mind the extra weight of a full-sized body, and like the grip and action better.

So far I'm quite happy with the 40D. We'll see how it holds up to a month in Europe.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:44 pm
PITA Bred

As for film vs. digital, I was fortunate enough not to have a major investment in film gear when digital finally came of age.

A few years ago, I was at Giants Fantasy Camp and a gent who had been the team's official photographer for years was there to shoot our inept activities. I glanced at his rig and said, "Film?" He grimaced and spun out a well-worn response: "Look, I drive a 1965 Mustang. I don't do digital."

I grinned and said, "I drive a '68 Mustang, wear a mechanical watch, shave with a safety razor... and I shoot digital."

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm
NitroForum Oldster

James Gifford wrote:
As for film vs. digital, I was fortunate enough not to have a major investment in film gear when digital finally came of age.

A few years ago, I was at Giants Fantasy Camp and a gent who had been the team's official photographer for years was there to shoot our inept activities. I glanced at his rig and said, "Film?" He grimaced and spun out a well-worn response: "Look, I drive a 1965 Mustang. I don't do digital."

I grinned and said, "I drive a '68 Mustang, wear a mechanical watch, shave with a safety razor... and I shoot digital."

I enjoy shooting all film and will do it as long as I can, but I can see that the quality of digital imaging on the high end has all but caught up with film, and will surpass it in the near future, with one exception:

Medium and large-format B&W art phototographers will by and large continue to use film as long as stocks are available. The look can't yet be replicated with digital. I mainly use film because I enjoy shooting with vintage cameras. I love the simplicity (batteries not required) and the craftsmanship that has enabled these old gems to keep working perfectly for a half-century and longer.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Jack Kelly wrote:
Medium and large-format B&W art phototographers will by and large continue to use film as long as stocks are available. The look can't yet be replicated with digital.

No question that every art medium has its strengths and particularities. I'd quibble only to the extent that a 30 MP back on a Hassy has reached at least the equivalent resolution to film - and the differences in the finished product are discernible only to an eye looking for them.

We're a helluva long ways from large format being replaced by anything, both for resolution reasons and because LF is a whole art form in itself, mostly practiced by crotchety old traditionalists who will be the last to pick up a digital cam... :D

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:23 pm
NitroForum Oldster

James Gifford wrote:
No question that every art medium has its strengths and particularities. I'd quibble only to the extent that a 30 MP back on a Hassy has reached at least the equivalent resolution to film - and the differences in the finished product are discernible only to an eye looking for them.

No doubt that a Hassy with a 30MP back produces images equivalent in resolution to images produced on MF film. You can buy Hassy film backs on Ebay for a song. A lot (most?, many?) of studio phtogs over a certain age made the switch to digital for economic reasons, however. Even though the 30MP back is a large investment, when you shoot thousands of images per month in a studio the investment more than pays for itself in a short period of time. I'm sure many of the once-reluctant will now admit that the resulting digital images are as good as the same images on film.

For B&W photography, it's not a matter of resolution but tonality.

James Gifford wrote:
We're a helluva long ways from large format being replaced by anything, both for resolution reasons and because LF is a whole art form in itself, mostly practiced by crotchety old traditionalists who will be the last to pick up a digital cam... :D

You got that right. :lol:

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Jack Kelly wrote:

2. Pentax K1000

Some of my stuff can be seen at http://photo.net/photos/jkelly04 but I haven't posted anything new in a few months.

By the way, that's some very nice work on flickr, John.

Aaahh...The K1000 - my very first SLR. Great camera, great optics. Shot it for several years. Can you still get a suitable battery for the light meter or are you using an external light meter? I believe it took those mercury batteries that are now banned from production.

Thanks for the compliments on my photo page. Since you like classic cameras you might find you like this page.

http://www.amdmacpherson.com/classiccameras/

Very extensive technical descriptions of many old cameras along with sample images taken with each camera. If you don't see the brand you want to review on the main page menu use the search feature (for instance Kiev isn't on the main page but it shows up in the search). He's got more companies cataloged than he can fit on one page. The K-1000 is actually too new for him.

I'll be sure to check out your photo.net page. Thanks.

Last edited by JohnBlack on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
NitroForum Oldster

I can totally understand the reaction on the Canon vs. Nikon issues. I stayed Nikon but quite possibly would have switched to Canon except that I had the investment in lenses from my N70 that were compatible with the D80. However, had I gone Canon I really would have dived deep and gone for the 5D.

I do think that the lighting system on Nikon (CLS) is special though. Not that it can't be achieved with other flashes but not so easily as with CLS.

My biggest gripe about most digital cameras today is the 1.5x crop factor. A hand full of cameras, the Canon 5D among them, have a full frame sensor and no crop. Its a big deal. With my 17mm lens I'm only getting ~25mm angle of coverage when its attached to the D80 (the 40D also has the crop factor). I only get 17mm when I attach the lens to my film camera.

When you refer to tabletop lighting - do you mean a murphy board? You did a lot of product photography where you needed the light to come from all directions in order to have no shadowing?

Last edited by JohnBlack on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:25 pm
NitroForum Oldster

JohnBlack wrote:
Aaahh...The K1000 - my very first SLR. Great camera, great optics. Shot it for several years. Can you still get a suitable battery for the light meter or are you using an external light meter? I believe it took those mercury batteries that are now banned from production.

Yes, I can still buy suitable batteries for my K1000, although in the past 30 years I've only had to change the battery twice (since it's fully manual except for the meter). It's the only one of my cameras that I purchased new, back in 1977. It still works perfectly.

After years of using Leicas, however, I've learned to get by without a light meter, so if the meter on the K1000 ever went kaput, of if the battery were no longer available, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Of course, you know your Kiev was originally a Contax clone, Leica's prewar competitor. After WWII the Russians no longer needed to produce Contax clones for obvious reasons. They still produced Leica clones (since Wetzlar was in the American occupation zone) up until the M3 came out. I guess that one was beyond their reverse engineering skills.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next