View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Whack Whack Whackopedia... 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Whack Whack Whackopedia...
James Gifford wrote:
I don't mean that anyone corporeal or real survived. Influence of "V for Vendetta," I suppose, in which Moore expresses the thought more completely - "Behind the mask is an idea, and ideas... are bulletproof." I think perhaps Rorschach removing his mask is a facet of the same idea - the figure dies, the hero lives on.

Didn't they do that a couple of decades ago on the British Robinhood series? Replaced a dead Robin with a new, as the individual was secondary to the role played.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:58 am
PITA Bred

freesharon wrote:
James Gifford wrote:
I don't mean that anyone corporeal or real survived. Influence of "V for Vendetta," I suppose, in which Moore expresses the thought more completely - "Behind the mask is an idea, and ideas... are bulletproof." I think perhaps Rorschach removing his mask is a facet of the same idea - the figure dies, the hero lives on.

Didn't they do that a couple of decades ago on the British Robinhood series? Replaced a dead Robin with a new, as the individual was secondary to the role played.

I don't know about that but recasting of roles is hardly unknown. I mean, look at soap operas - just how many characters have "had plastic surgery" or (inversion) come back from the dead as their evil twin? Eet ees to laugh... faintly.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 am
Heinlein Nexus

James Gifford wrote:
freesharon wrote:
[

I don't know about that but recasting of roles is hardly unknown. I mean, look at soap operas - just how many characters have "had plastic surgery" or (inversion) come back from the dead as their evil twin?

Perfected in Doctor Who, of course.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:59 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

True. Anyone want to place bets as to what happens when they need a 13th Doctor?

It happened back in the radio days, too. The voice of the Lone Ranger was killed (in a car accident, IIRC) and they had to bring in a substitute. So that no one would notice, LR had an accident that took away his voice and for a few weeks, the other actors filled in the dialogue around his occasional grunts. He slowly got his voice back, and in theory (in those largely pre-recording days) no one noticed the different actor.

Then there's Darren. I loved one of the early proposals for the film version of Bewitched where they were going to replace Nicolas Cage with Robert Picardo halfway through the movie... without having anyone on screen notice.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:56 am
Centennial Attendee

James Gifford wrote:
freesharon wrote:
James Gifford wrote:
[...] - the figure dies, the hero lives on.

I don't know about that but recasting of roles is hardly unknown. I mean, look at soap operas - just how many characters have "had plastic surgery" or (inversion) come back from the dead as their evil twin? Eet ees to laugh... faintly.

I think this was written into the story as the Way it Works. Robin died. Someone else becomes Robin in a ceremony involving an animal-headed deity. The Work goes on. Robin is more a calling, and/or a mantle, than a man.
I didn't actually watch this series due to time constraints, but I saw that episode and thought it an interesting new (?) take on a story fast becoming cliched.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:45 pm
PITA Bred

And then there's the Dread Pirate Roberts...

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:53 pm
Centennial Attendee

This recent Dilbert reminded me of this thread.

Dan

Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

Heh. I note, BTW, that My Point of Contention has been removed from the WP entry again, and there are now quite a few people screaming at Joe College for being, well, what he is.

Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 am
Centennial Attendee

I think I can understand why your intelligent observation was not accepted by the Wikipedia "community" for that article. It was because WP has a guideline "no original research", meaning that really it only is supposed to consist of regurgitations of other sources which can, if necessary, be referred to directly.

This points up that WP is not quite like a conventional encyclopedia. If the Encyclopedia Britannica organization wants to include an article about 'Lord of the Rings', it commissions an expert to write that article, and often pays him to do so. The expert writes a synthesis of his ideas, ideas from other sources, his own research - actually, anything he likes, provided that the result is an authoritative article up to the Britannica standards. The article usually cites references, but not references for absolutely everything.

But WP would never publish such an article. In principle, WP is a purely derivative compendium. Yes, I know, this rule is often bent or broken, especially in the more recondite articles. But you happen to have tangled with a "user community" (or one member thereof) who believes in standing on the letter of the rules.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:42 am
Heinlein Nexus

Jim, this one's for you:

http://americancomedynetwork.com/animat ... t_id=25239

Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next