View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Mrs. Grundy 

Post Re: Mrs. Grundy
How come Dan knows so much about what teenage kids are doing these days? Does he have one or two of them, or is he still hanging out with them? ;P

Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

sakeneko wrote:
How come Dan knows so much about what teenage kids are doing these days? Does he have one or two of them, or is he still hanging out with them? ;P

I've reached the age where I'm invisible to teenagers. My girlfriend has two teenage granddaughters, though, so I get glimpses into their world via the Facebook status updates of the younger one, who was naive enough to accept my friend request.

But, of course, I was kidding about sock hops. Those died out even before I graduated from high school (1967).

You got me thinking about fads. After I graduated from Rice U I kept subscribing to student publications and learned that there was a resurgence in the fad of streaking, but with a twist. The kids would cover themselves with shaving cream before they went running across campus. One time the foamy group rang the doorbell of the university president, and his wife opened the door carrying a loaded Super Soaker (squirt gun on steroids) and started rinsing them off. She was no Mrs. Grundy! I wish I had been there!

Thu May 31, 2012 11:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

Ah. :-) That would do it, alright.

Sock hops were back briefly when I was in high school (1975-1979) and disco was all the rage. I skipped school dances because the music was so loud it hurt my ears and usually wasn't anything I wanted to listen to. Didn't discover fandom til I was thirty, but discovered SF in grade school, so I spent a lot of time with my nose buried in a book.

I *LIKE* the Rice president's wife's idea of how to deal with the streakers. Good on her! ;)

Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2