View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
American political discourse has come to this 

Post Re: American political discourse has come to this
Yeah, I see your point.
But it's still silly and demeaning to the rest of us to accuse a man of speaking French.

RobertPearson wrote:
For those with a knowledge of history, it hasn't "come" to this; I mean c'mon, accused of speaking French? That's supposed to be a new low?

Quote:
Nasty political mud-slinging. Campaign attacks and counterattacks. Personal insults. Outrageous newspaper invective. Dire predictions of warfare and national collapse. Innovative new forms of politicking capitalizing on a growing technology. As much as this seems to describe our pending presidential contest, it actually describes an election more than two hundred years past.

The presidential election of 1800 was an angry, dirty, crisis-ridden contest that seemed to threaten the nation's very survival.

http://www.gilderlehrman.org/historynow/09_2004/historian4.php

One of Jefferson's surrogates wrote that John Adams had a “hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.”

Adams' surrogates on Jefferson: “Are you prepared to see your dwellings in flames… female chastity violated… children writhing on the pike?

His opponents called Lincoln and "idiot" and "gorilla." Stephen Dougals described him as a “horrid-looking wretch, sooty and scoundrelly in aspect, a cross between the nutmeg dealer, the horse-swapper and the nightman.”

I personally think things are pretty nicey nice among the Republicans right now. I predict Obama's surrogates will call Romney extremely "white."

Oh, wait for it...http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/whats-race-got-to-do-with-it/

I doubt that Romney is quaking in his well-polished loafers about the "speaks French" ad.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2