View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Buzz Aldrin talks to Life magazine 
Centennial Attendee

Post Buzz Aldrin talks to Life magazine
Here's a collection of photos from the Apollo 11 mission with Buzz Aldrin's comments on each.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Buzz Aldrin talks to Life magazine
That's a nice collection. :-)

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Thanks. It's a good thing Buzz Aldrin talks to the media, because Neil Armstrong almost never does. Has anyone read the Armstrong biography by James Hanson?

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:58 am
Profile WWW

I'll get Hanson's bio. Armstrong almost never talks to the media, but he often talks to school children and private groups of spaceflight supporters. He's very much still in the game: he just does his publicity his own way.

Has anybody else here read the book that Buzz Aldrin cowrote with SF writer John Barnes in the 1990s. The title escapes me at the moment, but it was about a return to spaceflight and the moon. It was near-term SF, quite well written as I recall.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

JackKelly wrote:
Thanks. It's a good thing Buzz Aldrin talks to the media, because Neil Armstrong almost never does.

I talked with Neil Armstrong for a few minutes one-on-one on the phone decades ago. I was so star-struck that I made a complete idiot of myself. In order to get past his secretary, I shamelessly leveraged the fact that my flight instructor at the time was the younger son of Gus Grissom.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
NitroForum Oldster

DanHenderson wrote:
JackKelly wrote:
Thanks. It's a good thing Buzz Aldrin talks to the media, because Neil Armstrong almost never does.

I talked with Neil Armstrong for a few minutes one-on-one on the phone decades ago. I was so star-struck that I made a complete idiot of myself. In order to get past his secretary, I shamelessly leveraged the fact that my flight instructor at the time was the younger son of Gus Grissom.

Fascinating! Can you give some details on the conversation? Why did you call him? What was your pretext - other than the connection with Gus Grissom?

I had a brief face-to-face conversation with Alan Shepard in the early 80s, when we were both stuck in a jury duty situation in the Harris County courthouse in Houston. I don't remember the conversation at all, but I almost sh*t myself working up the courage to approach him.

Later, in the 90s, after I moved to the Washington, DC area, I went to work as the CFO of a NASA contracting company that was owned by Llewellyn (Bud) Evans Jr., who was the only child of the former chairman of Grumman Corp. during the Apollo program (they designed and built the Lunar Module). Our Board of Directors consisted of a who's-who of former NASA luminaries, including Phil Culbertson (designed the Atlas booster, later NASA AA), Jim Beggs (NASA administrator), the legendary Bob Gilruth (first JSC administrator-considered the architect of the manned space program), and several others.

Anyway, Bud's dad dropped dead of a heart attack in 1972, and his mom married Bob Gilruth. I spent a lot of time with Bob, unfortunately after he had begun to descend into the depths of dementia. Even in his senility he was obviously a brilliant man. He was one of a small group of NASA officials who made all the important decisions during Apollo - including the decision to make Neil Armstrong the first human to walk on the Moon.

I used to love this stuff - don't think about it nearly as much today - but I'm still very much involved in NASA. However, my involvement today is much more on the Earth science side.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

JackKelly wrote:
Fascinating! Can you give some details on the conversation? Why did you call him? What was your pretext - other than the connection with Gus Grissom?

I was in Cincinnati for my cousin's wedding, and I recalled that Armstrong was on the faculty at U of Cinci. I just thought to myself, "Why not try?" and called the university switchboard and asked for him. His secretary answered and I said that Scott Grissom was my flight instructor and I had a personal message for Professor Armstrong from Scott (which, of course, I did not). When he came on the line, I told him that Scott had praised his flying skills (which he had) and taught him a lesson he never forgot: If you have to make an emergency landing on a freeway, and you don't know whether you have enough altitude to clear an overpass up ahead, point the nose of the plane right at the overpass and see what the airspeed does. If you have enough airspeed, land beyond the overpass; if you don't, land short of it. He chuckled at that, and, since I didn't have anything else planned to say to him, I stammered and asked if his current research had anything to do with "C Cubed," which I thought was the cool abbreviation for Command, Control, and Communication. The man is an aeronautical engineer for cryin' out loud; of course he wasn't working on that. Anyway, he sounded confused, asked what C Cubed was, and after I explained he gave the obvious answer. By that point I was too embarrassed to try and continue the conversation, so I wished him well and hung up. Grand total elapsed time, maybe 3 minutes. But I had talked with Neil Armstrong! Woo Hoo!

I can't remember anything about the wedding ceremony.

Dan

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Classic, thanks!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]