View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Leon Stover 

Post Leon Stover
I'm trying to track down some background/personal information about Leon Stover, a Heinlein scholar cited by Bill Patterson in the biography. I had an aunt who died in the mid-1990s whose maiden name was Stover. She was married to my mother's brother, whose father (my grandfather) graduated from the Naval Academy six years before Heinlein. While this is a big country, I've found over the years that "academy families" are part of a surprisingly tight and often intermarried little group. I am wondering if Leon Stover might have been related to my aunt.

Wikipedia doesn't have much, Google isn't helping much. Does anybody here know anything about Stover's family background?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Leon Stover
sakeneko wrote:
I'm trying to track down some background/personal information about Leon Stover, a Heinlein scholar cited by Bill Patterson in the biography. I had an aunt who died in the mid-1990s whose maiden name was Stover. She was married to my mother's brother, whose father (my grandfather) graduated from the Naval Academy six years before Heinlein. While this is a big country, I've found over the years that "academy families" are part of a surprisingly tight and often intermarried little group. I am wondering if Leon Stover might have been related to my aunt.

Wikipedia doesn't have much, Google isn't helping much. Does anybody here know anything about Stover's family background?

Not much, really. I beileve his family came from Pennsylvania; his father disapproved of his interest in reading SF; he was married previously with an estranged daughter of that marriage, and that's about it.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 am

His obit, from the Chicago Tribune of 11/27/2006

Leon E. Stover was a professor emeritus of anthropology at the Illinois Institute of Technology, a writer of fiction and non-fiction, a friend to famous science-fiction authors, and the kind of father whom a loving daughter sometimes thought of as eccentric--but one who seemed to know everything.

Dr. Stover, 77, died at his home in Chicago on Saturday, Nov. 25, of complications from diabetes.

"He would tell me things like why the number three is so important," said his daughter, Laren Stover. "How everything revolves around trilogies: like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."

"There wasn't anything he didn't know something about," his daughter said. "I would say, 'Tell me the origin of the word "utopia," and he would know.'" (English writer Thomas More coined the word in 1516, she learned.)

"He was such a darling little weirdo," said his daughter, recalling interests of her father that ranged from Chinese history and culture to Stonehenge and H.G. Wells scholarship.

Born in Lewiston, Pa., he attended undergraduate school at Western Maryland College, now McDaniel College, and received his master's degree and doctorate at Columbia University.

Dr. Stover taught about dynastic China at Tokyo University from 1963 to 1965.

From 1965 to 1995 he was a professor of anthropology at IIT, where he also taught a science-fiction class.

A student in that class during the 1970s was Bill Drish of Chicago, who later became a close friend.

"From childhood, he was interested in Wells and science fiction," Drish said.

In the 1950s Dr. Stover lived in the same New York apartment building as Harry Harrison, developing what would become a lifelong friendship, Drish said. Harrison later became famous as the author of "The Stainless Steel Rat" and "Make Room! Make Room!" which became the 1973 film "Soylent Green."

"He started going to the various science-fiction clubs in New York in the 1950s," Drish said. "And meeting not only the fans, but also the authors, like L. Sprague de Camp and Robert Sheckley and Isaac Asimov."

Dr. Stover collaborated with Harrison on a science-fiction novel, "Stonehenge: Where Atlantis Died."

On his Web site, Harrison described it: "A novel which is based around Dr. Stover's theory that Stonehenge was built as a political structure, for the meeting of tribal chiefs.

Set in 1500 B.C., it tells the story of the battle between the Mycenaean and Atlantean (or Minoan) empires."

Dr. Stover edited eight volumes of annotated books by Wells, with a ninth at the publisher.

He wrote non-fiction books on China and Stonehenge, as well as books of criticism looking at science-fiction author Robert Heinlein and his friend Harrison.

"He was someone who doesn't narrowly specialize in one thing, but has wide interests," Drish said.

Other survivors include his wife of 50 years, Takeko, who collaborated with Dr. Stover on the book "China: An Anthropological Perspective."

Services are pending.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 am

His sister's obit:

York Daily Record (PA) - Sunday, September 17, 2006
Ann S. Hollinger CHINCOTEAGUE, VA Ann S. Hollinger, 70, formerly of York, passed away on Saturday, September 9, 2006, at Peninsula Hospital in Salisbury, Md. Born July 15, 1936, to Franklin Stover and Helen Morrison in Phillipsburg, Pa., she was the loving wife of James R. Hollinger for 45 years. While living in York, Ann was an elder and deacon of the First Presbyterian Church of York. She was also active in York Little Theater and volunteered much of her time with York Hospice. After moving to the island of Chincoteague, Va. in 1997, she continued her enthusiasm for community involvement with the Methodist Church and local theater, while spending afternoons reading her favorite books to third graders. Ann leaves three children, Scott Hollinger and his wife Cherylann of York, Lisa Marrocco of King of Prussia and Michael Hollinger and his wife Megan of Wyncote. A devoted grandmother and friend, she also leaves four grandchildren, Lauren, Joshua, Benjamin, and Willa. She is also survived by a brother, Leon Stover of Chicago and a niece, Laren Stover of New York. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday at the First Presbyterian Church of York, 225 E. Market St., York. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to VNA Hospice Services, 218 E. Market St., York, PA 17403.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 am
Heinlein Nexus

Interesting that his interest in Heinlein is not mentioned in the obit.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:18 pm
Centennial Attendee

RobertJames wrote:

? Read it again.

"He wrote non-fiction books on China and Stonehenge, as well as books of criticism looking at science-fiction author Robert Heinlein and his friend Harrison."

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:12 pm
Profile WWW

Alright. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that he was a close relative of my aunt, if at all. Her branch of the Stover family was from New York State, I believe about 50-70 miles up the Hudson from New York City. Was a fun thought, anyway. (This Stover sounds like the sort of eccentric that we could use a few more of, especially these days.) :-)

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Apparently I can't read :(

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:14 am
Heinlein Biographer

JusTin wrote:
RobertJames wrote:

? Read it again.

"He wrote non-fiction books on China and Stonehenge, as well as books of criticism looking at science-fiction author Robert Heinlein and his friend Harrison."

His TUSAS book on Heinlein is fairly well known, but he also did a TUSAS volume on Harrison, which is kind of strange.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 am

BillPatterson wrote:
His TUSAS book on Heinlein is fairly well known, but he also did a TUSAS volume on Harrison, which is kind of strange.

TUSAS?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next