View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
While it would be neat to have the VE on my shelf, I am put off by the fact that the spines of the volumes are numbered, yet the numbering order makes about zero sense to me. It seems any collector's edition of an author's works should be chronological (or at the VERY minimum, alphabetical like an encyclopedia collection). Or simply not ordered, so we can organize our books the way we wish. The blog at http://virginiaedition.blogspot.com/ discusses the reasons behind this unfortunate fact. To me it comes down to this: I won't buy a beautiful, leather-bound set of Heinlein's works that begins with I Will Fear No Evil as volume #1. Sorry. How Meisha Merlin thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 pm
Centennial Attendee

Alex, what you say is true. I can understand how one could be put off, as you say, by the non-rational numbering schema on the spines.

For me, it's just not much of an issue. I rather quickly reordered the books received-to-date, by my preferred schema, and ... that was that.

The books are beautiful objects, carefully edited from what I gather, and feature prefaces by some rather authoritative authors ;) The series is projected to feature several volumes of Heinlein's letters, and other unpublished or hard-to-find material.

The net of it, for me: I don't see a better Heinlein collection, here or on the horizon. FWIW.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm

If Mr. Patterson has a moment, perhaps he could shed some light on the "Why begin with I Will Fear No Evil?" question, given that he was the sole writer of the introductions for the Meisha Merlin-produced volumes. The blog posting referred to by AlexHergensheimer is really rather unconvincing; perhaps Meisha Merlin is not to blame for the decision to lead with IWFNE.

The weirdness of this decision, whoever made it, was noted by Cory Doctorow at BoingBoing when the series was announced (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/08/46 ... inlei.html). Nonetheless, someone in early 2005 came up with what they considered a good reason to begin the VE this way...

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 am
PITA Bred

My understanding - and understand that I have only tentative and secondary connections to the juggernaut that is the VE - is that it was a matter of going with material that was ready for press. IWFNE was ready to go, thus it went.

As the books can be rearranged any way the purchaser likes, spine numbers aside, I can't see that it matters all that much as long as the complete plan is fulfilled.

Of all the choices, it does make some sense to keep turning them out as each book's worth of material is ready and thus keep the pipeline full rather than publish in some internally sensible order where individual volumes may be overly rushed to fit a publishing slot or hold up the overall process unduly. This lets the complex books like the correspondence and other edited collections take their time while the works that are easier to get to press do so.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:02 am
Centennial Attendee

JamesGifford wrote:
My understanding - and understand that I have only tentative and secondary connections to the juggernaut that is the VE - is that it was a matter of going with material that was ready for press. IWFNE was ready to go, thus it went.

This is my understanding as well, as confirmed for me by the gentleman who owned/ran Meisha Merlin. I asked him at the VE table at the Centennial's vendor room.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 pm

FredReynolds wrote:
Alex, what you say is true. I can understand how one could be put off, as you say, by the non-rational numbering schema on the spines.
For me, it's just not much of an issue. I rather quickly reordered the books received-to-date, by my preferred schema, and ... that was that.
The books are beautiful objects, carefully edited from what I gather, and feature prefaces by some rather authoritative authors ;) The series is projected to feature several volumes of Heinlein's letters, and other unpublished or hard-to-find material.
The net of it, for me: I don't see a better Heinlein collection, here or on the horizon. FWIW.

Fair enough. And as I said, I'd be thrilled to own a set. A COMPLETE set. IWFNE is such a strange title to be completed first, considering it was a prime choice for a "least favorite" RAH title on the thread devoted to that topic. The VE simply should not have included spine numbers. However, I shouldn't be complaining-- the set exists. Or part of it does. I've easily spent over $1000 on Heinlein books so far, and that's mostly for stacks of old softcovers, a few first editions, and one signed Menace from Earth. Not sure I would actually read the VE, though (besides the introductions). I'd just smugly show it off to guests. I don't want to be dropping the VE into the tub. :)

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Re collecting and such: Perhaps 30 years ago I purchased from a patient of mine several autographed Heinlein novels in greatly varying condition, some beaten up library editions of juvies, including Citizen of the Galaxy, and some in perfect condition (Stranger, Job, Friday) and have a couple personal letters to me from Heinlein and one from Virginia. Didn't purchase the with idea of collecting any more, but because a patient of mine badly needed the money for medication. Have never thought of selling; perhaps pass on to a child who has appreciated Heinlein. Having noted some of the posts here, I am confused about possessing these artifacts. Is this something disparaged and to be avoided?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:50 pm
Heinlein Nexus

SailFree wrote:
Re collecting and such: Perhaps 30 years ago I purchased from a patient of mine several autographed Heinlein novels in greatly varying condition, some beaten up library editions of juvies, including Citizen of the Galaxy, and some in perfect condition (Stranger, Job, Friday) and have a couple personal letters to me from Heinlein and one from Virginia. Didn't purchase the with idea of collecting any more, but because a patient of mine badly needed the money for medication. Have never thought of selling; perhaps pass on to a child who has appreciated Heinlein. Having noted some of the posts here, I am confused about possessing these artifacts. Is this something disparaged and to be avoided?

Good lord no. Even if anyone were disparaging it, I'd say to hell with 'em. If it makes you feel good and doesn't hurt anyone, for God's sake keep doing it and don't look back.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
Good lord no. Even if anyone were disparaging it, I'd say to hell with 'em. If it makes you feel good and doesn't hurt anyone, for God's sake keep doing it and don't look back.

In spades. I can't imagine what you might have read, here or elsewhere, that gave you the idea there was a problem with these memorabilia.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 pm
Heinlein Nexus

The only thing you might want to do is make pdfs' of the letters and pass them on to Bill Patterson and the Heinlein Archives, to make sure they have copies :)

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next