View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
I received a welcome email today from Transcontinental, printers of the Virginia Edition. "Your order has been shipped." That would be shipment #2 of the VE, which should include volumes 8 through 23. If there's any interest, I'll update this post in a few weeks when I receive the shipment.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 pm

You bet.

I have been putting off signing up not because I was nervous, but because I had other bills to pay first... but if the big batch arrives in good shape, that will make me a lot happier, certainly...

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Got my new VE shipment yesterday; has anyone else? What do you think? (These are the first volumes produced entirely without Meisha Merlin's involvement.)

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 am
Centennial Attendee

Baylink, the big batch (volumes 8 -21) arrived in good shape. 8-)

JJGarsch, here are first impressions: this shipment meets the high standard of the first 7 volumes shipped by the HPT. The volumes are physically attractive, sewn, bound in burgundy leather, with gold stamped text and graphic on the front and spine. The pages are 50# paper, and the typeface is easy on the eye. I miss the slipcases from the MM volumes, but having actual books in my hand / on my shelves seems a good trade-off. ;)

Regarding the texts, I'm pleased to see the extended editions of Red Planet and SiaSL, and the full text of "How to be a Politician." Flipping to the back of each book yields a "Note on the Texts." Reading through these notes, I see that the source texts have been compared to the original manuscripts, and corrections made where needed.

The prefatory materials -- introductions by Mr. Patterson and Dr. James, and photos of RAH & Ginny, are the icing on this cake. And I've now found my favorite RAH photo: the one printed in the Red Planet volume. The longer I look, the funnier it gets.

So I"m pleased. YMMV, of course.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:12 pm

The 5/20/09 posts about the dormancy of the Heinlein Society got me to thinking that perhaps the (unrelated) Virginia Edition has once again foundered. There have been no new blog postings since January 13 from the Heinlein Prize Trust employee who's the putative manager of the effort, and the blog of the owner of Windhaven Press (which took over the actual production work from Meisha Merlin in late 2007) has likewise mentioned nothing since January about the production of the next batch of volumes, although there's been much discussion of other issues that would seem to be preventing her from working (health problems, primarily).

The VE's own website (http://virginiaedition.com) remains an embarrassment: No photos of the interior or exterior of any volumes, as well as amateurish text (e.g., "To ensure each volume is a [sic] close to Heinlein's intent as possible, the text will be taken from the last volume in whiche [sic] Heinlein had a hand in the preparation of the test [sic] for printing"). Nor, as far as I know, has the Trust made any effort to publicize the existence of the VE, not even a mention in Locus Online (where I first saw the announcement of Meisha Merlin's intent to publish, back in April 2005).

Although I'm reasonably happy with the 21 volumes received so far, I am beginning to think (for all of the above reasons) that perhaps there's no more to come, and that even if all the volumes are eventually produced, the Trust will have spent a great deal of money to place the set in the hands of perhaps a few hundred subscribers, with many more hundreds of sets left over (supposedly 2000 sets are to be printed, down from 5000 in the Meisha Merlin offering).

Thu May 21, 2009 12:06 am
PITA Bred

The VE is only unrelated to THS, BTW, because the HPT had the brass to tell THS to get lost when they tried to appropriate the project. As muxed-up as the VE is now, I sincerely shudder at what would have happened if the SoSoSociety had gotten their hooks into it.

Not that I don't give a little shiver now and then looking at the actual history of the set. Not wishing to offend too many, all I can say is there's a good reason that a lot of people are involved with making a movie. You can have the best candidate in every chair but one and have no hope of turning out anything but a limping B-flick. The VE has several "bests" in its crew. It also has a couple of empty chairs in key spots. The strained history is no surprise.

Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am
Centennial Attendee

The most recent email I got from Sean Thompson was dated May 6, 2009:

Hello All,
As the ether foretold, I present to you our schedule and plan for the remainder of the Virginia Edition:
We will be printing the remaining books in two tranches. The first will go to the printer at the end of August and the second will go to print about mid to late January. At the start of July and December, I will confirm mailing addresses and instructions for each of you. We've decided to rearrange the print order somewhat as well. Volumes 22-47 will be as follows:

The Future History of Robert Heinlein Vol. I
The Future History of Robert Heinlein Vol. II
The Number of the Beast
Friday
Job: A Comedy of Justice
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
To Sail Beyond the Sunset
Creating a Genre (Fiction compilation)
Sixth Column
Podkayne of Mars
Expanded Universe
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
New Worlds to Conquer
Glory Road
The Puppet Masters
Farnham's Freehold
Tramp Royale
Requiem
Heinlein Century
Nonfiction #1
Nonfiction #2
Letters 1 (Heinlein - Campbell Correspondence)
Letters 2
Letters 3
Screenplay #1
Screenplay #2

The nonfiction, letters, and screenplay volumes are all shaping up to be fairly hefty volumes and we felt it would be more aesthetically and functionally pleasing to collect these volumes towards the end rather than have them sandwiching the smaller volumes. At the same time, this allows the volumes to transition from the fiction volumes to the autobiographical Tramp Royale to the collections Heinlein Century and the nonfiction and letters at the end in a manner similar to reference papers.

Below follows the schedule we have at present for the completion of the of the next tranche of books. This is intended to leave a fair amount of wiggle room and we believe it not unreasonable that we will be able to move somewhat faster than this. I will be posting this and updated information to the blog/website tomorrow and from here in, I'm going to update at the dates listed below to keep everybody abreast of how well we're adhering to the schedule on this and on any other associated projects.

6/12 - The Number of the Beast
6/25 - Friday
7/21 - Job
7/23 - Sixth Column
7/24 - The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
7/29 - To Sail Beyond the Sunset
8/3 - Future History, volume 1
8/7 - Podkayne of Mars
8/12 - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
8/14 - Expanded Universe
8/18 - Creating a Genre
8/18 - New Worlds to Conquer
8/20 - Glory Road
8/31 - Farnham's Freehold

Sincerely,
Sean Thompson

Thu May 21, 2009 8:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

That's interesting; I got no such e-mail - however, I have learned that what Sean writes and what eventually happens are often widely at variance. The early blog entries are full of examples. I think what you received, sorry to say, is likely just another fantasy schedule like others that have been offered since the Trust took over nearly 2 years ago. And I remain concerned that no effort is being made to attract new subscribers, and that the Trust will either complete the set and vitiate itself in the process, or stop midway to cut its losses despite all protestations to the contrary.

Thu May 21, 2009 9:43 am
Heinlein Biographer

JJGarsch wrote:
That's interesting; I got no such e-mail - however, I have learned that what Sean writes and what eventually happens are often widely at variance. The early blog entries are full of examples. I think what you received, sorry to say, is likely just another fantasy schedule like others that have been offered since the Trust took over nearly 2 years ago. And I remain concerned that no effort is being made to attract new subscribers, and that the Trust will either complete the set and vitiate itself in the process, or stop midway to cut its losses despite all protestations to the contrary.

FWIIW I get to proofread parts of every volume so I get a pretty good overview of what has been done. The last volume I passed was Friday last week. Andrew at Windhaven is having chemo for cancer, and Nancy has had health issues as well, so who knows how rapidly subsequent volumes will proceed. What I have not seen is the two volumes of Future History that were originally 9 and 10. The second volume had to be completely redone.

Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 pm
PITA Bred

Bill Patterson wrote:
The second volume had to be completely redone.

Days on Future, passed?

Thu May 21, 2009 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next