View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
I got my latest set of books yesterday.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks, Dan, mine just showed up as well.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am
Centennial Attendee

Today's blog post:

Don't worry you aren't missing vol. 41
by LemonPi

This edition of the blog is to reassure everyone that you are not missing volume 41.
Volume 41 was not ready to go to print with the preceding 4, while volume 42 (Farnham's Freehold) was.
It will be printed and shipped with the last set of books.
You read correctly, the last set of books!

On our current schedule, updated this week, we should have all material turned over to the printer by mid to late October. This means the books should ship in November and be in your hands for the holidays.

Volume 41 - Letters 3 is undergoing a quality control check, and will be turned back to WH for final corrections tomorrow.
Volume 43 - Tramp Royale is at WH to have proofreading edits applied, then it will come here for a quality control check.
Volume 44 - Screenplay 1 just got turned back to WH after its 2nd proofread and needs those edits applied. We are also working on getting some pictures from the set of Destination Moon to include in this volume.
Volume 45 - Screenplay 2 was also just turned in to WH, but from its 1st proofreader, and will come here next.
Volume 46 - Requiem is going out this week for its 1st proofread.

On another note here is an interesting Heinlein mention:

AUGUST 15, 2011
BARACK OBAMA MUST BE A ROBERT HEINLEIN FAN!

Robert Heinlein:

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as “bad luck.”

Barack Obama:

“We had reversed the recession, avoided a depression, gotten the economy moving again,” Obama told a crowd in Decorah, Iowa. “But over the last six months we’ve had a run of bad luck.”

Fan, instantiation, whatever.
Posted by Glenn Reynolds at 10:00 pm

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/126252/

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Blog post from 11/21:

Quote:
Status Update
by LemonPi

As you all may be aware from the shelf space the collection is already taking up we are coming to the end of this very long quite bumpy road. The last five volumes need to be read over or just have the last set of edits checked and will go to the printer soon.

We (Sean and myself) just got in the fully updated Screen Writing 2 and are diving in. I wanted to share a piece of it with you.

From Crater Base One - "Nothing Ever Happens--"
The television has below it a more numerous group of controls than are found on a livingroom set; this is intended to be a closed-circuit system whereby the Director can see, from his desk, any of many scenes inside and outside Crater Base One. A single power knob plus a long row of push buttons conspicuously numbered and/or lettered is sufficient to simulate this. It is assumed that a repeater with parallel controls is located in his private dining-living room, and another at his bedside; thus the Director can see, from the three places where he spends most of his time, every major activity he directs. Cutting in the video pickup also cuts in 2-way teletalk . . . and it may be assumed that the video is 2-way, also, for this is 1988.

As we all know, 1988 of course had two way t.v.'s. At least now we have touch screens and video chat on our phones and computers. Dear Mr. Heinlein, sorry we took so long.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

The most recent blog post:

Quote:
2011 is almost finished and so is this lovely collection.

Today I sent in the last full round of edits for Letters 3
AND
I just got in the next round of Screen Writing 1, which puts our current standing at:

Vol. 41 - (the elusive) Letters 3 - last set of edits have been sent in, need to be applied, and needs permission to print
Vol. 43 - Tramp Royale - needs permission to print
Vol. 44 - Screen Writing 1 - last read through, apply, quality control, apply, and needs permission to print
Vol. 45 - Screen Writing 2 - send in last edits, which need to be applied, then quality control, apply, and permission to print
Vol. 46 - Requiem - quality control, apply any edits, then needs permission to print

Sean and I are splitting SP 1 (Screen Writing 1) and hope to have this round finished by COB on Monday. At which point, I hope we have Requiem and/or Letters 3. Close of business Tuesday should see us with 2 books ready to print (minus the official permission form), maybe 3.

The screenplays have been a hassle. Most of them have not been typeset before, which left a lot of room to design a readable book, but also a lot of open questions. We have tried to stay close to the patterns and formats, while adjusting text and layout to make them internally consistent. It meant a lot of word juggling for Andrew, who has been working pretty much solo in New Hampshire.

This overdue update written, I am going to get reading!
Hope to write soon with more completions to report.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Latest email from Leah:

Quote:
January 24th, 2012

Dear Virginia Edition Subscribers,

Greetings from the indecisive muddle of winter! As the weather in our part of Texas fluctuates wildly between balmy days (a majority this winter) and a few cold, gray days, we're busily doing the final reviews of the Screenplays, Letters 3, and Requiem before submitting the final tranche of Virginia Edition volumes to be printed. Period.

*pause for cheering*

While that is news worth celebrating, our primary purpose in writing is to let you know that the Robert A. and Virginia Heinlein Prize Trust has purchased copies of William H. Patterson's Hugo-nominated biography “Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve” and would like to send a copy (FREE) to every Virginia Edition subscriber as soon as we've submitted the final volumes for printing.

When you have the biography in your hand, know that the final volumes of the Virginia Edition are being printed and will soon join the rest of your collection.

In order to make sure the last five books reach you, please respond to this e-mail with confirmation of your current address, or an update if you have moved since we sent out the last set of books (circa August 2011).

In addition, if you received this email at more than one email address, let me know and I will take one off the list.

Since we would prefer not to unnecessarily swell the world’s landfills, please reply with a yes if you would like a copy of the biography.

From all of us here at the Virginia Edition and the Heinlein Prize Trust, we offer our best wishes for a bright new year and warmth in the winter.

Best Regards,

--
Leah Ott
Project Manager
Virginia Edition Publishing Company

Since I already own two copies of the biography, I replied saying she could avoid the cost of sending me another.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Latest blog post, and it contains a question for the community. You can reply in the comments to the blog post:

Quote:
by LemonPi
It is February!

I know, I know, I skipped January, but only because I was hoping to have the best update I could give - that we were finished. It turned out we weren't so my procrastinating has slipped into the next month.
However, I do have good news - we will be doing no more read-throughs of the books!
In turn this means that all we have left to do is to review layout and previously submitted lists of edits.
Depending on the speed with which Windhaven applies the last two lists (or so) of edits we have going, we should sign off on the text by close of business Monday.

These are some of the unique things included in this last set (which in a large part are also the reasons it has taken longer):
The last volume of correspondence - which some of you may be anxiously awaiting - and is 648 pages long
The two volumes of screenplays - which have never been printed in this arrangement before (there is a Subterranean Press edition that contains some of them) - totaling 1166 pages
Tramp Royale - has been out of print since the mid 1990s and includes an awesome picture, which I am refusing to tell you about b/c it will ruin the surprise - @ 336 pages
A updated version of Requiem - which includes new tributes - 384 pages

As you can see there is still a lot to read and some of it is probably brand new (unless you have been thoroughly trolling the archives).

On a side note - in first reading through The Rolling Stones and information about it, it was pointed out that Star Trek's "Trouble with Tribbles" episode gave a nod to Heinlein for using something very similar to Martian flatcats. Earlier this week in reading through one of the tributes in Requiem, someone remembered Heinlein saying that he didn't invent them either so it was ok from his perspective.

Does anyone know where RAH got the idea from? (I do have the recollected answer, but I want to know if anyone else knows.)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

DanHenderson wrote:
Quote:
by LemonPi
On a side note - in first reading through The Rolling Stones and information about it, it was pointed out that Star Trek's "Trouble with Tribbles" episode gave a nod to Heinlein for using something very similar to Martian flatcats. Earlier this week in reading through one of the tributes in Requiem, someone remembered Heinlein saying that he didn't invent them either so it was ok from his perspective.

Does anyone know where RAH got the idea from? (I do have the recollected answer, but I want to know if anyone else knows.)

The late David Alexander researched this for his biography of Gene Roddenberry, including talking with Virginia and checking the RAH archives at Santa Cruz. Heinlein credited Ellis Parker Butler's story "Pigs is Pigs," in which guinea pigs being sent through the post office breed like the tribbles/flat cats.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:28 pm
Centennial Attendee

BillMullins wrote:
The late David Alexander researched this for his biography of Gene Roddenberry, including talking with Virginia and checking the RAH archives at Santa Cruz. Heinlein credited Ellis Parker Butler's story "Pigs is Pigs," in which guinea pigs being sent through the post office breed like the tribbles/flat cats.

Please send that to Leah, if you haven't already! Thanks in advance.

Dan

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

DanHenderson wrote:
BillMullins wrote:
Please send that to Leah, if you haven't already! Thanks in advance.
I posted this information to her site (sans the David Alexander reference) a few days ago.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next