View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Stories: Citizen of the Galaxy (Opus 128/G.134) (Nov. 1956)
dh490311 wrote:
I agree with you. I'm not a collector at all; all mine are reading copies I got from abebooks.com or bookfinder.com, usually library or book club editions. The whole kit & caboodle would sell for less than $100. I got two of RAH's signed paper labels and stuck them in favorite books, but those are the only signatures I have, and the only first editions are the ones I bought in bookstores as my first copies when they were new. I have a very few old magazines (the Playboy with his interview; the Popular Mechanics with the tour of his house), but none of the old magazines or pulps that contained his fiction. I'd just like a really nice TEFL because it's my very favorite, and I once (1992?) saw in the Black Oak bookstore in Berkeley a slipcovered, signed first edition of Red Planet. Until that moment it never occurred to me that such things existed.

My collection is extensive - naturally - but it was all obtained for scholarly purposes. I have perhaps four signed firsts, all gifts that I treasure - and one is a first-class jewel - but would have never purchased on my own.

I am musing over what to do with the collection (probably one of the most complete, with rarities, in private hands). I no longer need more than a reading set of the books, and even that's likely to turn out being nostalgic affectation.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:45 pm
Heinlein Nexus

James Gifford wrote:
I lost the pure collector itch decades ago, and I ran into too many problems in the early days with nutso RAH "collectors," which reinforced my interest in content, not value.

Same here. I got one of everything in whatever edition struck my fancy at the time, none of them firsts AFAIK, rounding them out with useds.

My sole vice in that department is a copy of The Making of Star Trek that I got signed by just about everyone whose picture is in it, including all the cast regulars, Gene Roddeberry, and D.C. Fontana. Oughta be valuable some day.

Quote:
Bill and I collaborated on breaking the backs of the RAH hoarder/collectors, and it was a pleasure.

Really. How do you do that?

Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:52 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Upon perusing my shelves of RAH novels that, while they do qualify as a "collection" per se, they enbody a collection of thoughts rather than "firsts" or "signed" editions. I recall thinking, at one time, that a complete set of signed first edition hardcovers would be something to behold. After recognizing the "sticker shock " of such a collection, I lowered the bar and sought to have only a complete collection of first edition paperbacks.

Strangely, I discovered that I had collected multiple copies of many many individual novels- each by a different publisher. Why? Sheesh by accident for some but for many others I was drawn to make the purchase by the forementioned cover art ! As was mentioned a volume collecting this art may not be commecially viable, but it still would be something of great interest to some (like myself). I see it tracing the evolution of said art through the years and through many levels of complexity. Each publisher put a different face on their edition with each trying to appeal to a very different generation of tastes. Fronm simplistic renditions of rocket ships to abstracts and so on, each tried to sell the same novel but in a different way- some editions simply plastered Heinlein's name in letters as big as possible to engage potential buyers.

Perhaps we can see these covers as the generational progression of RAH readers. Each generation a bit different in what it was searching for both on the cover and inside each RAH novel.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:49 am
PITA Bred

Nick Doten wrote:
Perhaps we can see these covers as the generational progression of RAH readers. Each generation a bit different in what it was searching for both on the cover and inside each RAH novel.

Interesting thought. I know that certain covers evoke special responses and I have a sense of which cover is the "right" one for each book - not always the first one I saw or read.

There is a site that presents nearly all of the covers over the years, if it's still around...
ah, thought it was gone for a moment, but just moved: http://www.storypilot.com/sf/heinlein.html. Fun to browse.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 am
PITA Bred

Peter Scott wrote:
My sole vice in that department is a copy of The Making of Star Trek that I got signed by just about everyone whose picture is in it, including all the cast regulars, Gene Roddeberry, and D.C. Fontana. Oughta be valuable some day.

I have some signed ST stuff, from way back in the day. I suppose it might be valuable but looking at David Gerrold's broken signature and remembering why it's that way is more valuable to me.

Quote:
Bill and I collaborated on breaking the backs of the RAH hoarder/collectors, and it was a pleasure.
Quote:
Really. How do you do that?

It's a long story but basically at the time I came into the game, most known material was in the hands of hoarders who let everyone know they had, say, the Moskowitz letter but never, never let anyone see it - because, of course, they were going to get rich or famous or something from it. As much as that trifle of material was useful, it got washed away in the flood of material that first I and then Bill (in spades) opened up from the archives and elsewhere. Nobody much gives a sh*t any more that Joe Firstfan still has a five-page letter in which RAH uses a bad word -it all became a question of volume and scale and not a few hoarded nuggets.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:42 am
Centennial Attendee

Post SPLIT THREAD: Centennial, Virginia Edition etc.
This is turning into a very interesting thread, although off subject. Citizen could support wider discussion.
I would love to see (and yes, would buy) a collection of the cover art, but a good web site, well organized, would do. The one listed in this thread is good but I've seen another I liked better -- consecutive covers and foreign editions for each book where available, and visible on one page rather than links, so you can compare more easily how the handling changed through time. I will search for it and post it if I find it again.
I have most of the books in hardback purchased used online -- all but two, I think -- that was a birthday present to myself two years ago. Amazingly inexpensive -- under $100.00. Most of that was shipping.
I continue to buy the paperbacks as I find them, to distribute at random.
I'm very sorry to hear about the VE problems. I couldn't afford to sign up for it at the Centennial but didn't give up on 'someday.' Must admit I was and still am more excited about the upcoming biography. And works such as the Stranger study. I estimate I will reread that about every two to three years for the rest of my life (just like Stranger).
I would also be very interested in purchasing the recordings from the Centennial, but I'm afraid I don't know of any way to help forward the prep process. Can't reasonably expect you to set aside other projects for that. Suppose we'll have to wait till waiting is filled.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 am
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
I think the likeliest possibility for a "general illustrated" set of Heinlein would be Baen Books, and likeliest as trade paperbacks, since the permissions seem to cycle through them at least once each -- and you only have one person to convince. I was surprised to find Scribner's letting go permissions for the Clifford Geary illustrations for the VE.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 pm
Centennial Attendee

Without commenting one way or the other on what the VE could/should have been (and how it was originally positioned in the market by MM), I've recently received the first 7 volumes in the series, and I'm generally quite happy with them. I was particularly worried as to whether Mr. Patterson's introductions would survive the transition to the new publishing venture; of course, they have.

I've also publicly suggested that the full 2-volume version of the bio be made available as matching, for-fee optional extra volumes in the set. I believe I read somewhere (on this forum, probably) that the idea is probably a non-starter, giving publishing realities. Still, one can hope.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:51 pm
Centennial Attendee

Fred R wrote:
...I've recently received the first 7 volumes in the series, and I'm generally quite happy with them...

I've received mine, too. I'm no expert in these things, but the paper they used seems different somehow, and not in an especially good way (thin? newsprint-y?), and the typography seems somewhat cramped. Evidence of economizing? There are no dustcovers, either, though that doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the reading experience and the presence of Bill's notes. Sean said in his email to subscribers that volumes 8-23 should be printed in October. We'll see.

Dan

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:36 am
Profile YIM WWW

When I read the online ad for the Virginia edition, I thought wow, great. If I hit the lottery, I'll buy that. But I already have a complete collection of Heinlein novels in hard cover.
I blame the guy who got me started back in 1976. He looked at the convention book I had stood in line for 15 minutes for him to sign and said " I will not sign something I didn't write". I RAN to the dealers room and bought a first edition, third printing of "Time Enough For Love". Most of my collection comes from library sales and second-hand book stores, with a few coming from Ebay. But until his death, I bought every single thing I could new, out of respect.
The only other items I might say I "collected" is a magazine on space travel from the 50's with an article signed by the author, Werner Von Braun and a book co-written and signed by Buzz Aldrin.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next