View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc. 
PITA Bred

Post Re: SPLIT THREAD: The Virginia Edition etc.
LemonPi wrote:
I hope those celebrating the North American tradition of Thanksgiving had a very nice one.

Why am I not surprised at this brainless, culturally blinkered 'correctness'? *sigh*

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
LemonPi wrote:
I hope those celebrating the North American tradition of Thanksgiving had a very nice one.

Why am I not surprised at this brainless, culturally blinkered 'correctness'? *sigh*

It does manage to include both Canada and the U.S.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm
PITA Bred

BillPatterson wrote:
It does manage to include both Canada and the U.S.

Canada celebrated Thanksgiving almost two months ago. Mexico doesn't celebrate it at all. Issuing a wavy sentiment to "North America" this week is just doofy.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:32 pm

"and all the ships at sea"?

"Hey, if I'm going to pass on the timeless wisdom of the ages in a Sig, that pretty well qualifies, in my experience." --Geo Rule

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

So I figured out what happened
from Virginia Edition Updates by LemonPi

There has been a lot of confusion in the last 3 weeks or so as to the arrival of the next 5 books.

I now have some information for you all which should clear up the situation.

Volumes 32 through 36 have been printed and are at the shipping facility.

However, they have not been shipped to you yet due to a staffing change at the printer/distribution center. Instructions were lost in the shuffle and our new agent at the distribution center and I were apparently talking about two different things.

I was inquiring on behalf of several subscribers regarding their tracking information for this latest shipment (for those travelling: as they wanted to be sure their box wouldn't sit outside for too long, and for those concerned that the promised books hadn't reached them yet). As a result a very small portion of the subscribers' books have been shipped already. Most of them haven't.

It turns out none of your books have been lost in the mail - in fact most of them haven't made it to the mail yet. Myself and Andre, our sales representative from the printer, are very apologetic. This seemed to be a pure miscommunication.

The resultant is that they have pick-ups scheduled for today (Dec 23) and tomorrow (Dec 24), but, due to the heavy volume of shipping this time of year, the books will not arrive by Christmas.

Once again sorry for the anxiety this may have caused some of you. The books are printed and should be on your way soon (for real this time).

Your slightly less confused and vaguely comforted Project Manager

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Today I received volumes 32-36.

Dan

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Biographer

DanHenderson wrote:
Today I received volumes 32-36.

Dan

Good to hear. This evening I check my mailing service. By a weird twist of fate, on the receipt of my copy rides purchase of two sets.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 am

Finally received my shipment last night. I note that the person in Italy received his before mine made it all the way to California.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 am
Heinlein Biographer

I see no comments or reactions from any of the people who received their sets. I immediately looked over all except The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, which I left in its shrink wrap to ship off to my introduction collaborator Brad Linaweaver for his temporary use).

I'm particularly pleased with the way the two volumes of miscellaneous (non Future History) fiction turned out. Writing the story notes for the Future History stories were a bit of a chore, but these turned out nicely, I think.

On of the recurring criticisms of the biography is that there isn't enough story commentary (they say "critical," but they don't really want critical-analytical material, so far as I can tell), and I always want to point these people to the introduction and item-by-item notes in the Virginia Edition (but, of course, one doesn't reply to reviews, so no opportunity has risen to make that point.)

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 am

Quote:
I always want to point these people to the introduction and item-by-item notes in the Virginia Edition...

Since you hold copyright to the volume introductions, why not post them online (along with the story notes, which presumably the Prize Trust would permit you to include) and give the URL of the index page in volume 2 of the biography? Sufficiently long-term hosting shouldn't be difficult to arrange, possibly through the Prize Trust itself.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next