View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 pm



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
"Hoag" goes to Hollywood? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 603
Location: Reno, NV
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
Firefly the TV series was *wonderful*, especially if you saw it as I did and waited to watch the DVD set. That way, you could watch it in the order it was intended to be seen, instead of the botched order Fox apparently broadcast it in. I was so sad when the series was cancelled. And I'm not particularly a Buffy or Angel fan, although I've seen a few episodes of Buffy that were wonderful.

The movie Serenity was fun and fairly good, but IMHO did not rise to the level of the TV series. Whedon seems better at the small screen.

I have Hoag somewhere in my boxes of (still mostly packed) books, but it wasn't one of my favorite Heinlein stories. Still, I should reread it and see if I enjoy it more now. :-)

_________________
Catherine Jefferson <ctiydspmrz@ergosphere.net>
Home Page: http://www.ergosphere.net


Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm
Posts: 1024
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
sakeneko wrote:
Firefly the TV series was *wonderful*, especially if you saw it as I did and waited to watch the DVD set. That way, you could watch it in the order it was intended to be seen, instead of the botched order Fox apparently broadcast it in. I was so sad when the series was cancelled. And I'm not particularly a Buffy or Angel fan, although I've seen a few episodes of Buffy that were wonderful.

The movie Serenity was fun and fairly good, but IMHO did not rise to the level of the TV series. Whedon seems better at the small screen.

I have Hoag somewhere in my boxes of (still mostly packed) books, but it wasn't one of my favorite Heinlein stories. Still, I should reread it and see if I enjoy it more now. :-)

The boxed DVD set of Firefly is quite moderately priced (look on Ebay first -- you'll get it for about 2/3 the price asked by commercial dealers. I think I got mine for about $29).

Hoag is one of Heinlein's weirdest stories, and as I grew up I started to find it even more fascinating for the atmospheric qualities of the story -- it was written in the opening months of World War II, when American forces were going down under attack everywhere in the world. The claustrophobic sense of being an ant caught up in massive forces at work must have been very personally meaningful for Heinlein when Leslyn was in the hospital having her gall stones removed and he was struggling with the naval bureaucracy trying to find out why he was being rejected for active duty.

But it's also interesting as showing off a lot of the esoteric reading matter Heinlein had encountered over the years, plus there's a lot of Cabell's most mystical-hermetic stuff dissolved in that story that isn't necessarily visible until you start pulling on the threads and following up references.

It wasn't a story he particularly wanted to write, but he had to write something for Campbell to pay the hospital bill. ISTR he wasn't as unhappy with this one as he was with "Waldo." Then again, that may only be that Waldo was difficult to write because he was distracted, and by the time he wrote Hoag, he had found his way back to writing. There are darned few comments on this story in the correspondence -- which may only mean that they were all burned in 1947.


Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 am
Profile
Centennial Attendee

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 am
Posts: 134
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
dh490311 wrote:
James Gifford wrote:
dh490311 wrote:
I also think he'd do a bang-up job with Friday.

I believe James Cameron already did. On the heels of his take on Starship Troopers. :?

Well, if imdb.com is to be believed, I don't think his takes on either Starship Troopers or Friday has more than just a passing resemblance to either Heinlein story.

"James Cameron's Dark Angel" came a lot closer to Friday than "Battle Angel" appears to aim. I know that the second season sucked ("Monster of the Week" crap) but the first season showed promise, and felt a lot like the Crazy Years, too. But why change anything? Friday could make a great movie without replotting.

_________________
"There are three sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth." (Robert Evans)


Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:07 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
He did Friday? I rented Starship Troopers and moaned and kvetched through it until my husband told me to shut up or leave the room. I bought Puppet Masters, which I have long thought would make a great movie as written, which is why I was so positively IRKED when I read reviews for it and realized how they'd mucked it up. Therefore, I still haven't mustered the cojones to watch it. I get like this about any book I have an emotional attachment to which includes all of Heinlein's works.

So, I'm really afraid of what they'll do to Friday; I'm going to put my faith in Bill that he thinks they can do Hoag without hurting it too badly.

Did anyone see the TV adaption of "Jerry was a Man"? It wasn't half bad; there was the scene where the woman (lost her name; I want to say "Cynthia Duchess" but she was a SIASL reference) is in bed with Jerry, which I thought was unnecessary, but overall, it wasn't terrible at all.


Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile
PITA Bred
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Posts: 2401
Location: The Quiet Earth
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
Suzela57 wrote:
He did Friday?

No, not exactly. If you read the rest of the discussion you'll see that there are some who see strong Friday influences in the series Dark Angel. Others do not.

Quote:
I rented Starship Troopers and moaned and kvetched through it until my husband told me to shut up or leave the room.

I saw ST on opening night with some friends. We all left the theater pretty quietly.

The animated "Roughnecks" series is well worth watching, though. Someone in the creative chain of that series really read their RAH.

Quote:
I bought Puppet Masters, which I have long thought would make a great movie as written, which is why I was so positively IRKED when I read reviews for it and realized how they'd mucked it up. Therefore, I still haven't mustered the cojones to watch it.

The bad thing is that the film does a pretty good job of translating the book until about halfway through, whereupon it turns left to hell. There is a scene at the end that will make any RAH fan scream and throw heavy objects (say, husbands) at the screen.

Quote:
Did anyone see the TV adaption of "Jerry was a Man"? It wasn't half bad; there was the scene where the woman (lost her name; I want to say "Cynthia Duchess" but she was a SIASL reference) is in bed with Jerry, which I thought was unnecessary, but overall, it wasn't terrible at all.

Hurm. I think you do it too much justice. Did you notice, for example, that in the story Jerry was a man because he was honest and wouldn't lie, whereas in the adaptation his lying and deceit was what made him humanalltoohuman? Urg.

_________________
"Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders." - Luther
In the end, I found Heinlein is finite. Thus, finite analysis is needed.


Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:28 pm
Profile
NitroForum Oldster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am
Posts: 669
Location: DC Metro
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
Suzela57 wrote:
I bought Puppet Masters, which I have long thought would make a great movie as written, which is why I was so positively IRKED when I read reviews for it and realized how they'd mucked it up. Therefore, I still haven't mustered the cojones to watch it. I get like this about any book I have an emotional attachment to which includes all of Heinlein's works.


The first half of the Puppet Masters movie, as Jim said, is a fairly faithful adaptation. The actors fit their roles pretty well, especially Donald Sutherland as the Old Man. I didn't think the second half was that bad, but it does divert widely from the book and is just wrong. My favorite scene I think was one of the final ones; when the Old Man is taken by a slug and he and Sam fight for control of a helicopter. Not bad overall, and a thousand times better than the Starship Troopers movie. You should watch it, and then come back here and tell us what you think.

_________________
"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable." - Heinlein, Expanded Universe


Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
Hurm. I think you do it too much justice. Did you notice, for example, that in the story Jerry was a man because he was honest and wouldn't lie, whereas in the adaptation his lying and deceit was what made him humanalltoohuman? Urg.[/quote]
You know, now that you that, I do remember that and I do remember being annoyed about that as well. Maybe I was just so happy to see SF on the small screen that I mercifully forgot about that part, but now that you bring it up, I do remember feeling quite indignant about the lying. Not enough to hurl my husband at the screen, but maybe a small pet...


Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
Jack Kelly wrote:
Suzela57 wrote:
I bought Puppet Masters, which I have long thought would make a great movie as written, which is why I was so positively IRKED when I read reviews for it and realized how they'd mucked it up. Therefore, I still haven't mustered the cojones to watch it. I get like this about any book I have an emotional attachment to which includes all of Heinlein's works.


You should watch it, and then come back here and tell us what you think.


I'll do that. My biggest complaint from reading the reviews was that Mary/Allurque was relegated to scientist rather than co-agent. Not that I have anything against scientists (I'd better not!), but one of the parts I loved about Puppet Masters in particular, and so many of Heinlein's works, was the equality of women taken for granted at a time when that just wasn't so. I mean, Puppet Masters was written in the late 50s (I'm too lazy to run upstairs and check the copyright--ok, just checked Amazon --1951!)in the EARLY 50s, when that was a radical concept. So, for Heinlein to show a heroine as the equal of a man in the 50s, then to have a studio show the same character as someone to be rescued in th 90s is just very off-putting to me.

But I will watch it and tell you what I think and attempt not to throw any family members at the screen.


Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 136
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
New posting today at SciFi Wire:
http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/why-dark-c ... s-hoag.php


Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 pm
Profile
Heinlein Nexus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 2228
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Post Re: "Hoag" goes to Hollywood?
JJGarsch wrote:


Ah, that's interesting. I'd always felt that Dark City was very Hoag-like, now I know why. This may actually not suck.


Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF