View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Leslie Heinlein and Undine 
Post Leslie Heinlein and Undine
I recently learned about an 19th century author, Friedrich de la Motte Fouquée. He wrote early fantasy stories that I understand influenced Poe and other writers of the turn of the 20th.

I heard a summary of his novel Undine, that, if I recall correctly, describes a tragic love story where a woman becomes a water spirit but returns to human form to be with her love, only to end up drowning him when things go wrong.

At the Centennial conference, Bill Patterson said that Heinlein referred to Leslie as his "Undine" because she spent a lot of time in the bath. I wonder now if Heinlein had read de la Motte Fouquée and if that nickname had a bittersweet overtone for him.

Do we have any evidence that Bob would have read de la Motte Fouquée?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:27 am
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Leslie Heinlein and Undine
I have no idea about the source, but it was Ginny he called his "Undine." If memory serves, there is an opera based on this story, and it would have been the more likely source, as Ginny was an opera nut.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm
Centennial Attendee

RobertJames wrote:
If memory serves, there is an opera based on this story, and it would have been the more likely source, as Ginny was an opera nut.

Wikipedia (I know; I know) actually lists four:

* Undina, an opera by Alexei Lvov (1846)
* Undina (Tchaikovsky), an opera (1869) by Pyotr Tchaikovsky to the Russian libretto by Vladimir Sollogub
* Undine (Hoffmann), an opera by E.T.A. Hoffmann (1814)
* Undine (Lortzing), an opera by Albert Lortzing (1845)

Great to have you here, Robert. The panels of yours that I attended at the convention, especially the one on Heinlein's Women, were worth the price of admission all by themselves. Thank you!

Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Centennial Attendee

Is there a transcript of the Heinlein's Women panel? Or any of the panels?

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 pm
Heinlein Nexus

It would be the Hoffman or the Tchaikosvky.

And as far as transcripts, you're sleeping with the guy who would know about that, Audrey :)

I do have a distinct memory of the Heinlein women panel being taped -- but if not, I did take some notes.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:21 pm
Centennial Attendee

Well, yes, there is that.

But, that does not seem to make a transcript appear. I guess what he has is a massive unedited video of the entire thing which would take several weekends to watch.

So basically, no. I had hoped there was. I always did absorb what I read better than I what I have seen.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:54 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Hmmmm....well, perhaps the video can be posted in segments on the website?

Not sure what that implies or requires -- my tech days ended when Basic and Fortran stopped being the main programming languages, and hard drives were invented....

But essentially, Dorothy was the panel, with me leading her into memories and presenting spurs for things she hadn't thought about in years.

Yoji and the woman who had no idea why she was on the panel largely stepped aside in awe of Dorothy, and I stayed out of her way as much as possible, while keeping the panel moving forward.

I will look into my notes -- but Jim should have the whole thing taped, if my memory isn't playing tricks with me....I was on 20 panels that weekend, and some weren't taped at all....

Robert

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:59 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Most sessions weren't taped. The video of record was made in the main ballroom, which had little besides keynotes. I took a video camera around a few other panels when I had time, as a sampling, not a complete record. Were any other recordings made?

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Organizer

Lordy Peter! Both Tracy Majkol and Joe Dixon went to panels all day every day and recorded them. The only one where they doubled up was Starship Troopers, which was late at night. There is a *lot* of recoded material.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:57 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Thank Ghu, I thought I was going nuts -- I remember most of the panels being videotaped....thank you!

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next