View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Buy Gifford's Book! Only $430.55! 
Centennial Attendee

Post Buy Gifford's Book! Only $430.55!
Seen at: <http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0967987407/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all>

Commanding prices like these, Jim's book will make him wealthy in no time!

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Buy Gifford's Book! Only $430.55!
At prices like that, we can all take two and give one to the local library.
I do love Amazon, but their mistakes are nothing if not public.
Actually, I did buy that book from Amazon last year -- and it was worth every cent!

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:29 am
NitroForum Oldster

It really is a fine and useful book.

It's also nice not to have to wait centuries, as did Aristophanes and Shakespeare, to become wealthy from one's writings.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Hi, all!

I am back in e-connect for the first time in almost three weeks, a bit early courtesy of British Airways. It seems there was some booking foulup so instead of the quite comfortable coach-plus accommodations that brought us to the UK, we have the luxe Business-class section (flat bed seats, hot and cold running attendants, etc. - the kids are getting an extremely bent view of how traveling works!)

A side benefit is the business lounge here at Heathrow, so here I am, about a day early. Good to see you've all been behaving yourself. Except for YOU - and you know who you are. I'm watching you.

The book price is funny - there has been one on ABEbooks for quite a while at about $192 or so. I think this Amazon one might be a speculator trying for the brass ring, since I had to pull my sales listings down for the duration of this trip. Plenty of copies at just $24 will be back up in a few days, sorry dude...

Fabulous trip, much needed rest and relaxation aboard the MS Norwegian Jade for 14 days, and a fascinating visit to Londinium (whoops, London - visited too many Roman sites) in which I met Max Headroom's creator and quite accidentally had dinner in the Criterion - which will mean something to Sherlockians. In Nice, failure to follow through with contacts meant I missed meeting up with Eric, Anouk and Ugo, a belated email coming through after we had reboarded ship. However, I did visit 17 rue Dante and have the photos to prove it. Dr. Balsamo was out, je regrette to say.

I also visited Sir Richard Burton's tomb - quite a highlight for me and an interesting way to start the next few decades of work, more or less at the end, as it were. I have a paper on the topic mostly written and will have it available to those interested in a few weeks.

Saw too many other things around the Med to list - travel journals are often tedious to those who didn't make the journey and so I won't drone on. Details (e.g. a summary journal) on request. Details on the relevant topics as I have time. Must go get the family to our flying apartment house in a few minutes, then spend 11 hours or so explaining why this is NOT to be expected in future travels...

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 am
Centennial Attendee

WOW! I found a used copy on Amazon for 2400.00! I wonder how much my autographed copy will go for?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096798 ... -1&seller=

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 am
Heinlein Nexus

That is a gross misstatement.

You left out the $3.99 shipping.

:mrgreen:

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]