View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Doing, not just talking - a Real World Heinlein project 
Post Re: Doing, not just talking - a Real World Heinlein project
I'd almost given up on seeing this forum online again, thanks Jim. I was "marklewis" on the old forum btw, using my full name now.

I'd love to get involved in a worthwhile project. I was miffed to find that the http://www.lunacity.com site is one of those half baked abandoned sites.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:41 am
Peter Scott wrote:
buy Heinlein books in bulk and leave them in public places with "gift from an anonymous philanthropist" notes;

Firstly : Hello from a noob to NotroForum, hope everyone's well. I've been into Heinlein since I picked up a copy of Time Enough For Love in the school library at around 12 or 13 and was hooked by his writing style - pretty much turned me on to SF there and then.

I seem to recall a reference to a similar "pass a book on" being in vogue a year or so ago, the idea was something along the lines of leaving a book you'd enjoyed somewhere & tagging it online with it's geolocation - darned if I can remember exactly what the site/concept was called. IIRC it was (is?) fairly popular so may be a good place to start for the above idea. I've been looking for an excuse to refresh some of my books for a while, and donating a few of the more sadly dogeared books into the wild may give me the impetus to do so.

I'll see if I can dredge the name of the site (fairly sure there was a site associated with the concept). If so I'll post it here.

Just thought to do a quick google for "pass a good book on" - came up with http://bookcrossing.com/ and http://pass-the-book.blogspot.com/ but don't think either is the one that was nagging at me, had one of those snappy, meaningless, web 2.0 names or something...

Similarly to others posting on this thread I have found that many of the RAH sites out there seem to be very out of date/inactive - this one definitely seems the liveliest I've come across. I was searching for Heinlein quotes at the time having mentioned the "Women & cats do as they please, men and dogs had better learn to relax & put up with it" quote to my wife and it tickled her fancy somewhat (can't think why...)

Mike

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:17 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Welcome to the RAH forum MacBeth !

yep have spouted the same RAH quotation to my 4 sons over the years "women and cats do as they please, men and dogs had better get used to it"- seems to pretty much hit it on the head doesn't it? it's a good life lesson

as for RAH quotations you may want to pick up a copy of RAH's "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"- you'll find it quite illuminating <G>

as for passing RAH books along to others, well i tend to target folk i know ( those who show an interest in other sci-fi type authors) and drop a reading copy of of "Stranger in a Strange Land" or any of the many other RAH novels i've grown to love- by targeting an audience, i feel safe knowing that the book may get read and won't end up in a trashcan someplace

Nick

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:47 am
Centennial Attendee

This has been brought up with at least one of you, but is the name Heinlein the prime focus here, or the values he represents? Are the legions of people with significant accomplishments (whether famous or not) who were inspired in large part by Heinlein not the best part of the legacy? Isn't the idea that he was something more than an entertainer?

In a perfect world you could possibly get Hollywood do actually do justice to ANY Heinlein book (Moon still is my favorite for that) and all of a sudden he would be the darling of the literary world....

As they seem to be downright desperate for ideas it does not seem so far-fetched, except for the part about someone in Hollywood reading.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Hollywood adaptations of Heinlein certainly could be great popular projects if done well. -- But there's a hang-up here, as Hollywood has structural issues with
(1) recognizing good writing
(2) conveying good writing to the screen

I've been claiming for years that Eric Frank Russell is an unappreciated potential treasure trove for Hollywood. Lots of excellent science fiction with humor and suspense, but not dependent on expensive-for-screen special effects.

Depending on the story, a number of Heinlein stories could translate almost as easily. Double Star and The Door Into Summer shouldn't be too hard, to pick a couple of novels off the top of my head.

But ... see issues above.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:04 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

The problem, succinctly put, is Hollywood. Even when decent creative team is put together, the pressures of industry assumptions and business as usual, and the panicky pressure from the checkbook crew, push even the best laid movie plan into the dumpster.

The rare exceptions are when someone comes along with big enough balls (read: such a massive success on their last film that no one dares tell them boo).

Not that this always works. Look at Shyamalan's almost unwatchable string of drek following the legendary Sixth Sense and promising Unbreakable. (I understand he is finally taking some very good advice and directing work by someone else for a while.)

James Cameron has never really capitalized on Titanic. Yet. We'll see if Avatar lives up to all the hype.

And please, if there is a god that watches over film, let Zac Snyder have every wind at his back with Watchmen. It is looking so incredibly good and right... may every last detail remain so.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:00 am
Centennial Attendee

So how is it that Phillip K. Dick has gotten a comparatively large number of his works adapted reasonably well for the screen? Frank Herbert had Dune, and Arthur C. Clarke had 2001 and 2010; I'd settle for *one* really good Heinlein adaptation, at least for now. Maybe Destination Moon qualified in its day, but I'm selfish; I want something younger than I am, thank you very much indeed.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

Dick is endlessly introspective and depressing, and his characters are all hopeless wretches that would make Dostoyevsky weep. Of course Hollywood and the literary world love him.

Heinlein is the opposite, the reaction is thus oppositely understandable.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:36 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Nice to see someone else sharing my opinion of Shyamalan. I hear that he can come up with an unbeatable beginning to a movie... but can no longer craft a coherent middle and end.

I wonder whether the state of the movie rights/options on the Dick material was particularly attractive for some reason? Of course, they did take extreme liberties with the works, but I was pleased with the results.

A problem with a lot of Heinlein's writing is that he so perfectly leveraged the medium he was in. There are things that can be done only in the written word, and he did probably all of them. Translating them to the screen could be nigh impossible.

Example: The extended period after Johann Smith recovered consciousness where she does not know he has changed gender. Even if you don't show her face, it is impossible to depict the critical conversations without giving away the voice. Have her unable to speak and typing on a keyboard? Doesn't begin to capture the emotional nuances of those conversations.

Or the conversations Johann has in his head, or the dialogue between Mike and various deities in an afterlife that's left to the reader's imagination? For that matter, the backstory of the Martians leaves their entire appearance to the imagination.

Just about every writer today has visions of screenplay rights dancing before their eyes as they write, and the result is a wilted spinach leaf next to Heinlein's lush greenery. They neglect vast swaths of the creative writing landscape.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Bill Patterson wrote:
The most complete collection, at the UCSC Archive, in the first place has only spotty holdings of magazine publications, as Heinlein sent out his copies to agents and so forth; in the second place is it is non-call storage for the next three or four years, and in the third place I wouldn't put anything useful or valuable into the current archivist's hands.

Is this because they broke one of the HUGO's?

Curt

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next