View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Doing, not just talking - a Real World Heinlein project 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Doing, not just talking - a Real World Heinlein project
cjmaloy wrote:
Is this because they broke one of the HUGO's?

Not entirely. It's more because the current archivist doesn't give a sh*t about any Heinlein stuff that doesn't fit on an indexed shelf - preferably the smallest shelf she can find. A vast amount of material collected by the original archivist, a devoted Heinlein friend, has been purged.

If it weren't Bill telling the stories, I wouldn't believe them - no professional librarian/archivist/curator could possibly be so inept and poor in judgement. But yup, she is.

We'll have to talk about why Heinlein's desk, chair and typewriter were not at the Centennial some time. It will involve interjections like "You B*TCH!" a lot.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Peter Scott wrote:
A problem with a lot of Heinlein's writing is that he so perfectly leveraged the medium he was in. There are things that can be done only in the written word, and he did probably all of them. Translating them to the screen could be nigh impossible.

Example: The extended period after Johann Smith recovered consciousness where she does not know he has changed gender. Even if you don't show her face, it is impossible to depict the critical conversations without giving away the voice. Have her unable to speak and typing on a keyboard? Doesn't begin to capture the emotional nuances of those conversations.

Or the conversations Johann has in his head, or the dialogue between Mike and various deities in an afterlife that's left to the reader's imagination?
I'd guess that creative sound engineers could come up with several alternatives. Some tricks have been used to set off dream conversations. Perhaps a gender-ambiguous voice for the internal dialogue; perhaps echo or reverb for the deities. Like in print, putting telepathic conversations in italic.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Has anyone heard of BookCrossing.com? They tag books for release into the wild, and -- if the finder cooperates by visiting the site and updating the book's file -- track them and their reviews with new readers. They have 21 copies of TEFL and 17 TMIAHM 'in the wild' here in the US. Here is their URL: http://www.bookcrossing.com/.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
cjmaloy wrote:
Is this because they broke one of the HUGO's?

Not entirely. It's more because the current archivist doesn't give a sh*t about any Heinlein stuff that doesn't fit on an indexed shelf - preferably the smallest shelf she can find. A vast amount of material collected by the original archivist, a devoted Heinlein friend, has been purged.

If it weren't Bill telling the stories, I wouldn't believe them - no professional librarian/archivist/curator could possibly be so inept and poor in judgement. But yup, she is.

We'll have to talk about why Heinlein's desk, chair and typewriter were not at the Centennial some time. It will involve interjections like "You B*TCH!" a lot.

What he said. I was organizing a tour of the memorability to either start or wind up at the SF Museum (then they dropped out because they wouldn't devote a 6x9 space to it), and the Butler Library after a weekend stopover at the Centennial. I made up a great deal of explanatory material for the pieces of the exhibit. Then when I put the Butler library rep together with Christine Bunting, she cut me out and sent it directly to them. So we wound up with none of the memorabilia, and the library wound up with none of the explanatory posters and such.

YOU BITCH is much, much too weak.

But, returning to the original question, I wouldn't put anything valuable into Bunting's hands because she doesn't have an Archivist's understanding of what an Archive is for and repeatedly has destroyed ordered collections and culled material out of not only the Heinlein collection but others -- I was appalled when I found out she had put one of the library's student assistants to sorting and throwing away material deemed junk mail. Now this is not an unreasonable thing to do -- but there is no way in hell that a student assistant can make that kind of judgment. It needs to be done by a scholar with some knowledge of what Cage was concerned with at various times in his life.

Similarly, she was going to donate to Friends of the Library any book in the Heinlein collection that was also in the library's General Collection -- something so barbarically lacking in understanding of what a special collection and archive is all about that I realized this was an issue worth fighting about and essentially wrecked my relationship with the library over it. But I got the minimum necessary to preserve it -- she deaccessioned the material to Art instead. But she has done things like randomized a carefully ordered collection of all the paperback issues of his books I believe she was talking about getting rid of duplicates there, too).

Sorry for the long quasi-absence. I've been having troubles accessing my aol account as well as scrambling to get some kind of living going.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am
PITA Bred

Bill Patterson wrote:
I was organizing a tour of the memorability to either start or wind up at the SF Museum (then they dropped out because they wouldn't devote a 6x9 space to it), and the Butler Library after a weekend stopover at the Centennial. I made up a great deal of explanatory material for the pieces of the exhibit. Then when I put the Butler library rep together with Christine Bunting, she cut me out and sent it directly to them. So we wound up with none of the memorabilia, and the library wound up with none of the explanatory posters and such.

Yes, is is. Actually, it was not the Butler Library, it was the Bates County Museum. All of this happened in the last week before the Centennial - just imagine how damned cool it would have been to have RAH's desk, chair and typewriter on display there! - and without a word of explanation, Christine went directly to the museum person and made a deal that made absolutely certain the material would go straight to the museum without the slightest side trip. The smug f*ck-you-ism of it was flabbergasting.

And then the museum rep had the gall to ask us to send people their way to see the stuff, and whined at me later that we hadn't helped out with their special "new acquisition" showing that weekend. I didn't even bother finding the Museum when I visited Butler that Monday.

And the library got the big banner that hung behind the Gala stage at the Centennial.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:51 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
I was organizing a tour of the memorability to either start or wind up at the SF Museum (then they dropped out because they wouldn't devote a 6x9 space to it), and the Butler Library after a weekend stopover at the Centennial. I made up a great deal of explanatory material for the pieces of the exhibit. Then when I put the Butler library rep together with Christine Bunting, she cut me out and sent it directly to them. So we wound up with none of the memorabilia, and the library wound up with none of the explanatory posters and such.

Yes, is is. Actually, it was not the Butler Library, it was the Bates County Museum. All of this happened in the last week before the Centennial - just imagine how damned cool it would have been to have RAH's desk, chair and typewriter on display there! - and without a word of explanation, Christine went directly to the museum person and made a deal that made absolutely certain the material would go straight to the museum without the slightest side trip. The smug f*ck-you-ism of it was flabbergasting.

And then the museum rep had the gall to ask us to send people their way to see the stuff, and whined at me later that we hadn't helped out with their special "new acquisition" showing that weekend. I didn't even bother finding the Museum when I visited Butler that Monday.

And the library got the big banner that hung behind the Gala stage at the Centennial.

Right -- it was the museum. I was going back and forth among the library, the SF museum, the Bates County museum, and the Archive, so I got confused. All for naught.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5