View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
What is this worth? 
Centennial Attendee

Post What is this worth?
An examiner article today

http://www.examiner.com/x-1652-Gadgets- ... ty-gadgets

noted that a signed hard copy of Stranger would cost about $6000.

How does he know? Is there a "blue book" for Heinlein books? Or letters, etc, which are harder to get?

I have seen a little of Jim's issue with trying to get anything signed by Richard Burton - many people seem to hold onto this stuff because of its very high financial value, so scholars may have trouble accessing it.

Are we seeing this phenomenon with Heinlein as well? Is there even an accepted guideline for this?

Audrey

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: What is this worth?
I don't know, but I'm holding onto my three signed Heinlein books that I purchased from the late Charlie Brown. There is no scholarly value per se, though, because there are many, many out there, half or more fake I suspect. There is no blue book that I know of, just supply and demand. After Stranger, I think the next most valuable signed Heinlein book is Rocketship Galileo.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: What is this worth?
audrey wrote:
An examiner article today

http://www.examiner.com/x-1652-Gadgets- ... ty-gadgets

noted that a signed hard copy of Stranger would cost about $6000.

How does he know? Is there a "blue book" for Heinlein books? Or letters, etc, which are harder to get?

I have seen a little of Jim's issue with trying to get anything signed by Richard Burton - many people seem to hold onto this stuff because of its very high financial value, so scholars may have trouble accessing it.

Are we seeing this phenomenon with Heinlein as well? Is there even an accepted guideline for this?

Audrey

It's complicated. Ultimately the market is established by what people will actually pay for such a thing. But my imprression is that the current market for high-end Heinein is mostly speculative -- that is, David Aronovitz is trying to puff the market by doing things like collecting all three dedication copies of Stranger and then listing them for $25,000. The "value" of the books in the set thus becomes $8333.34. Which is wildly off scale. Despite a lot of desire for Stranger, Putnam's deestroyed the first-edition collecting value by letting it go to SFBC a month before the trade release. Nevertheless, an authenticated first edition of Stranger in Fine condition could conceivably sell for the same range as TMIAHM and Starship Troopers -- which is to say $4500 on average. So a signed Stranger could conceivably sell for $6,000 -- if such a thing could be found. I've never even heard of a signed Stranger coming on the market.

Books, however, are not the problem. Aronovitz bought the collection of letters Cal Laning between him and Heinlein that Laning gave Leon Stover (Stover had agreed to put all his research materials in the Archive and simply did not) and will not allow them to be used for research purposes because that would devalue the collecting value.

So, yeah, it does affect scholarly use.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]