View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Door into Summer 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: The Door into Summer
PeterScott wrote:
JackKelly wrote:
Does anyone else see echos of The Door Into Summer in the new movie "The Time Traveler's Wife?"

Actually, the description reminds me more of a decent little TV show called "Journeyman" that was on last year.

It started showing signs of intelligence, so of course it was cancelled.

I remember that show -- not bad, but they didn't, so far as I could tell, have a firm grasp on what they were doing with the time travel bit, so as they began complicating it with other time travelers, they started to lose story values,

I'm pretty sure that series came about because of the success of the Time Traveler's Wife book a few years before. Good book. It was a favorite at Special Collections because he's a Special Collections Librarian.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 am

What popped into my mind when I first saw the promos for The Time Traveler's Wife was not a time travel story at all, but a fantasy about an artist who starts seeing a girl, young at first, and growing successively older each time he sees her. He takes all of his inspiration from her and paints successive pictures. See plot synopsis here http://www.ask.com/movies/film/Portrait-of-Jennie/38772

Portrait of Jennie 1948 with Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Wonderful movie, that....

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:17 pm

BillMullins wrote:
Door Into Summer

It's also just full of ideas. Heinlein gets credit for "inventing" Autocad via Drafting Dan (they solve the same problem, although Drafting Dan does it mechanically [remember, Heinlein's Annapolis training led him to call himself a "mechanical engineer specializing in linkages], and Autocad does it via software). But he also should get credit for the Roomba (Hired Girl). He almost got the ATM -- I believe there is passing reference to a sort of stored value card. But at one point in 2000, Davis has to look for a 24 hour bank with tellers to get cash.

He completely missed the Internet (as have so many authors). Davis spends much time researching patents in people in 2000 that you and I could do in minutes with Google.

I also enjoyed that book, maybe the engineer in me.

I don’t know about “inventing” Heinlein played that game himself in some of the non-fictions, but he also said an idea is only worth a bottle of scotch – credit goes to the person who does the hard work of putting it together.

I will give you AutoCAD to a degree, but I think it was easily foreseeable that doing drawings by hand would be replaced. I don’t know about Roomba as the Hired Girl just repeated what she was taught, more like mail robots or baggage handling robots. Roomba is much more advanced than that.
I think he did hit the internet pretty well in Friday.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 pm

DavidWrightSr wrote:
Portrait of Jennie 1948 with Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones

It's showing tonight on Turner Classic Movies at 8:00 PM EST

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

All this talk of movies made me realize that The Door into Summer might be pulled off as a satisfying movie. But if it were live-action (and not done in the style of, say, A Scanner Darkly, even though that might well suit the material), it would require a close match of actors to play preteen and all-grown-up versions of the same character - a correspondence successfully approached in only one movie I've ever seen: Jennifer Connelly and Elizabeth McGovern as young and adult Deborah in Once Upon a Time in America, 1984.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Other good pairs of actors for the same character at different ages were Geena Davis and Lynn Cartwright as Dottie Hinson in A League of Their Own, and Lori Petty and Kathleen Butler as Kit Keller in the same movie.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 pm

JJGarsch wrote:
All this talk of movies made me realize that The Door into Summer might be pulled off as a satisfying movie.

There is a screenplay for The Door Into Summer by Herb Bermann in the George Pal (Destination Moon) papers at the UCLA Performing Arts Special Collections.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2