View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Leslyn in 1930 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Leslyn in 1930
Mrs. Leslyn Heinlein would have been incorrect.

In fact if she had used that even as a divorced woman it would have implied that she was openly admitting fault in the divorce. (per Emily Post in 1935)

How times have changed - last month a co-worker of mine was married, and after some thought she decided to take her husband's last name as her own. At least part of that decision was made based on the very long length a hyphenated version of both names would be. She said her husband was very surprised and touched that she would do such a thing!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:50 am

PeterScott wrote:
But maybe "volume" here spans multiple issues.
I think this is likely. The watercress recipe and the reference to a housewarming party are on page 44, and the poetry and the mini-biography are on p 71. I think it is likely that the poem is in a letter to the editor written as a follow-up to the recipe, and the bio is an editorial note about Leslyn. But I'd love to page through all the 1936 issues (and maybe later), one at a time, and see what else turns up.

The local library doesn't have them, however, but worldcat does show many places that do.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:43 am
Heinlein Biographer

BillMullins wrote:
PeterScott wrote:
But maybe "volume" here spans multiple issues.
I think this is likely. The watercress recipe and the reference to a housewarming party are on page 44, and the poetry and the mini-biography are on p 71. I think it is likely that the poem is in a letter to the editor written as a follow-up to the recipe, and the bio is an editorial note about Leslyn. But I'd love to page through all the 1936 issues (and maybe later), one at a time, and see what else turns up.

The local library doesn't have them, however, but worldcat does show many places that do.

It's collected all over the West and southwest -- it's considered one of the fundamental culture-shapers of the last 100 years.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:21 pm

HERE is the house that Leslyn lived in in 1968 (1974 S Argonaut, Stockton, CA - midway between Irene and Sanchez on the far side of the street). The tavern/gas station that Jules owned and operated was at 1735 Marengo. I think this lot (now empty) was at the SE corner of Charter (name changes to Marengo further west) and Fresno. From the house, go N to Charter, and SW to Fresno.

This info comes from City Directories scanned at Ancestry.com.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 am

And apparently Leslyn used to sing in public:

See Here

Better View

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:40 pm

BillPatterson wrote:
PeterScott wrote:
Wait a minute.

Mrs. R.A. Heinlein???

Don't understand the double-take. This was 1935 or 1936, remember: married woman are never referred to by their personal names in public. It would have been considered demeaning.

It wasn't until some time in the 1970's that married women were routinely referred to by personal names in newspapers (and then often by the solecism: Mrs. Leslyn Heinlein is just wrong.)

Here in Laredo in 2011, it is more likely that you refer to married women as Joe A. (Mildred) Smith, etc. (Not all Smiths are Joes, nor are all their wives Mildreds; just an example, see?) At least this is the form most often used for obituaries in the local paper.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 pm

HERE I posted part of a poem by Leslyn.

By using Bill Higgin's "Dead Sea Googling" techniques, I was able to figure out the whole poem:

Quote:
Invitation

THERE must be lots of pleasant folk,
As lonely as can be,
Who'd like to have some place where they
Could just drop in for tea.

I have two cups, two silver spoons,
A funny little pot,
Some tiny cakes, and steaming tea,
And toasted muffins, hot!

But not a soul to share them with.
And who'd drink tea alone?
I hardly know whose luck is worse,
Those strangers' or my own.

I think I'll make a little sign
To hang each day at four:
Tea Served Within, Admission Free,
And Room For Just One More.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:01 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Bill M., you're amazing!

The singing would have been when Leslyn was about graduation age, or thereabouts, from high school -- 18 or 19, I forget.

Thank you for the great little tidbits.

R.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 am

Leslyn's birth registration.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm

I've read that RAH and Leslyn had an open marriage. Most recently I read this in the Robert James bio on Leslyn in the Heinlein Journals. Does anyone have first hand knowledge this is correct? And what about during his marriage to Ginny? Somehow I don't think she would agree to that kind of lifestyle.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next