View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Leslyn in 1930 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Leslyn in 1930
RobertJames wrote:
Marion Beard was not Colin's mother; she was one of Leslyn's best friends.

Keith Hubbard was Colin's mother, who was Leslyn's sister.

Great find on the 1930 census -- I had never heard her claim to be a public school teacher. She probably didn't do it for very long, since she was at Columbia from 1930-1932. Between that, the time at Pasadena Playhouse, and the college degrees, it isn't hard to see why RAH fell for her. Until her alcoholism and attendant mental issues arose, she was every bit as much a "Heinlein Woman" as Ginny ever was.

Different fields, of course.

Robert

Does explain why she had those teaching certifications, though, even if it was only as a substitute.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm
Heinlein Biographer

JamesGifford wrote:
Absolutely fascinating that she makes no reference to either of her more famous names or their connections.

(For those not up on the details, Leslyn Macdonald Heinlein remarried ca. 1953 to a Jules Moccabee and lived out her life in their [restaurant? general store? inn?] in Stockton, California. She never lost her vituperation for RAH.)

Fabulous find, Bill.

I think it was a combination gas station and barngrill

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:31 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Gas station and bar....no funny ideas about no drinking and driving back then :)

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 pm

If you search in Google Books for "RA Heinlein", you come across a recipe submission to Sunset Magazine by Mrs. R. A. Heinlein, of Hollywood CA. It's a snippet view, so you can't see the whole page or article, and Google Books metadata S*U*C*K*S (but is getting better), so it's difficult to figure out what issue it is so you can go to the library and get a dead tree version. It's probably from the spring of 1936 (there is reference to St. Patrick's Day).

The quote, as best I can reproduce it:
Quote:
It's perfect for St. Patrick's Day, but that's not the only day Watercress Spread will be used for canapes, and for sandwiches open or closed. As the originator, Mrs. R. A. Heinlein of Hollywood, says, it's got more than color. The flavor is not effeminate -- it makes a big high with (snippet ends here)

Note that this is right in the middle of the time that Robert says he and his wife were influencing local politics with a pot of tea and cookies on Sunday afternoon get-togethers. Apparently Leslyn was quite the hostess . . .

If you search for "Heinlein" in that volume, you get a little more of the story:
Quote:
At a housewarming party for 60 guests, Mrs. Heinlein served these snatch-and-carry refreshments: (snippet ends)

and the last half of a poem by "Leslyn M. Heinlein"
Quote:
I think I'll make a little sign
To hang each day at four:
Tea Served Within. Admission Free.
And Room For Just One More

Search for "Leslyn", and you get a biographical note:
Quote:
After Leslyn M. Heinlein got her M.A. at U.S.C. in 1929, she spent 1-1/2 years with the Pasadena Community Theatre, playing leads, then 2 years as head of the music department of Columbia Pictures, and then got a permanent job in her favorite profession -- housewife. Last year her husband retired form the Navy and they bought a house in Hollywood, and this year she's going to pick some flowers. For 3 years, every time she planted sweet peas the Navy heard about it, and sent the Heinleins somewhere else.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:29 am
Heinlein Biographer

Arrgh! You and Robert have GOT to get together and get these things written up for the Journal.

I bet the watercress canape was a cream-cheese spread. What we now know as California cuisine was just getting started in the 1930's. (nowadays it would be more likely to be a variation of pesto) ISTR this is also about the time Erma Rombauer was putting together the first version of The Joy of Cooking (but she was very midwestern)

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Yo, Bill. I just put this material (crediting you) into an extended footnote in the Biography. It's a good thing (words I never thought Id see coming out of my fingers...) that the copyedit is happening now.

thanks very much!

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:22 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Wait a minute.

Mrs. R.A. Heinlein???

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

PeterScott wrote:
Wait a minute.

Mrs. R.A. Heinlein???

Don't understand the double-take. This was 1935 or 1936, remember: married woman are never referred to by their personal names in public. It would have been considered demeaning.

It wasn't until some time in the 1970's that married women were routinely referred to by personal names in newspapers (and then often by the solecism: Mrs. Leslyn Heinlein is just wrong.)

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:04 am
PITA Bred

The history of "Mrs." is one of the most peculiar stories in English and sociology.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:28 am
Heinlein Nexus

Oops... I was thrown by the fact that apparently the same magazine referred to her two different ways. But maybe "volume" here spans multiple issues.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next