View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Heinlein and Hollywood: what did he like? 
Centennial Attendee

Post Heinlein and Hollywood: what did he like?
Everyone who has read Grumbles knows about Heinlein's disdain for the process by which Hollywood makes/made films. Does anyone have any info on what movies or directors Heinlein thought well of (if any)?
For instance, while reading another piece on Capra-corn vs. Capraesque film-making, it occurred to me that Capra's Everyman and the values he promoted in his films might have appealed to Heinlein. On the other hand, there might have been some element so distant from Heinlein's heros that he found the whole body of work distasteful.
Does anyone have any info on this, or want to persue the question in a more theoretical "What Would Heinlein Watch?" format?

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:41 am
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: Heinlein and Hollywood: what did he like?
On the theoretical side, I'll take a stab at a movie "The Virginian" (with no intended play on words/Ginny) based upon book by Owen Wister. While, like all movies, it was not totally true to the book, the semblance is near enough for these purposes

I believe the old west moralities and charactors would've appealed to RAH. Self reliance in a hard scrabble world, a man was a man and lived up to his morals (even if it meant offing his best friend for being a rustler). Even the romantic side of this book/movie was RAH-ish. A man who was awkward in knowing how to love and had to feel his way through it all while ruled more by his principles than his heart.

I think this was close enough to RAH's own charactors (and self?) to hold some appeal to him. Hey Heinelin thought murder was a fine solution for general rudeness ! To hang a friend for the mortal sin of rustling would've seemed proper! (even while recalling what a good friend the guy was and all the good times they had shared togather)

next

Nick

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 am
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Heinlein and Hollywood: what did he like?
He liked "Destination Moon."

In Tramp Royale, he mentions going to see "Hollywood's latest revenge on television", or something to that effect.

I'm afraid in the thousands of his letters that I've read, I don't recall any admirable mention of any film. He mentions that he used to like Wells' "The Shape of Things to Come", but that it badly dated itself.

He tended to be a book reader, first, last and always. Even in his earliest letters, unlike Ray Bradbury for instance, he doesn't show the slightest interest in movies as obsession.

Robert

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]