View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Year of the Jackpot 
PITA Bred

Post Re: Year of the Jackpot
I'd concur. I don't think it represents Heinlein's philosophical thinking on any but trite levels; it's just taking a story gimmick and working it through to its logical conclusion - whoops, there goes the Sun, how sad, too bad... next story...

I find the prototypical Heinlein couple of the era lurking in the unlikely figures of Potiphar and Meade to be an amusing twist.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:01 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
I find the prototypical Heinlein couple of the era lurking in the unlikely figures of Potiphar and Meade to be an amusing twist.

Now that's an interesting observation. I hadn't thought of them as representing the "prototypical Heinlein couple of the era" because we meet her acting out a psychotic fugue episode, which just isn't very typical of the Heinlein woman.

OTOH, it might be a reflection of the problem in psychology he worked on for years of . . . er . . . (how do I frame this without getting into serious trouble???) how the specialized pyschological problems of women come about.

(Now, if I had Heinlein available to talk to I'd point out that men are just as susceptible to co-dependency and addiction issues as women, though there is a threshhold of other behaviors for the co-dependency and addiction issues to show themselves).

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 am
PITA Bred

I think they evolve into a prototypical couple - from a ditz having a mass-hysteria breakdown and a fussy little Hoag-like analyst into a real, swingin', pistol-packin' survival couple. They're not unlike the couple in Hoag by the end.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
I think they evolve into a prototypical couple - from a ditz having a mass-hysteria breakdown and a fussy little Hoag-like analyst into a real, swingin', pistol-packin' survival couple. They're not unlike the couple in Hoag by the end.

Interesting. I tend to think of Alluquere and Elihu from The Puppet Masters as the representative of that kind of picture from about that period, with a progression going from Gulf to The Puppet Masters, to, perhaps The Rolling Stones.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:19 pm
Centennial Attendee

Bill Patterson wrote:
James Gifford wrote:

Now that's an interesting observation. I hadn't thought of them as representing the "prototypical Heinlein couple of the era" because we meet her acting out a psychotic fugue episode, which just isn't very typical of the Heinlein woman.

OTOH, it might be a reflection of the problem in psychology he worked on for years of . . . er . . . (how do I frame this without getting into serious trouble???) how the specialized pyschological problems of women come about.

(Now, if I had Heinlein available to talk to I'd point out that men are just as susceptible to co-dependency and addiction issues as women, though there is a threshhold of other behaviors for the co-dependency and addiction issues to show themselves).

Oh please, do go on! This seems the kind of subject that could get the traffic stats up in a hurry. ;)

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:48 pm
Heinlein Biographer

freesharon wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
[OTOH, it might be a reflection of the problem in psychology he worked on for years of . . . er . . . (how do I frame this without getting into serious trouble???) how the specialized pyschological problems of women come about.

Oh please, do go on! This seems the kind of subject that could get the traffic stats up in a hurry. ;)

You ARE trying to get me into trouble!

The very short exposition is that Heinlein thought for years about why women are screwed up in the way women are screwed up (see Mary Lou Martin in "'Let There Be Light,"' who has a major case of codependency going on in my opinion) and came (in Time Enough for Love) to pretty much the same conclusion the feminists of the seventies came to when codependency was first recognized as a feminist issue: it has something to do with women's relationship with their mother and particularly at puberty.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 pm

beamjockey wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
He accidentally left off the entire last third of the story, iirc

Holy smoke. That's the only version I've read.

Wow. You lucky guy, to still have that ahead of you in your life.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3