View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
St. Simon Jester 
PITA Bred

Post St. Simon Jester
I was doing some idle literary digging and came across the suggestion that "Simon Jester" - including the stick figure which devolved in time to 'horns and grin' - may have been inspired by Leslie Charteris's Simon Templar aka The Saint - who left a drawing of a stick figure with a halo as his calling card:

This may not have any basis in fact, but the notion makes perfect sense to me and I seem to recall some other Charteris/Saint references in Heinlein's work.

In any case, the astounding thing is that I was looking for images of the Saint stick figure because my father had it as a tattoo on his arm. Why? I don't know. He only laughed the few times I asked about it. But it's funny that this little circle would close in such a fashion.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 pm
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: St. Simon Jester
James Gifford wrote:
I was doing some idle literary digging and came across the suggestion that "Simon Jester" - including the stick figure which devolved in time to 'horns and grin' - may have been inspired by Leslie Charteris's Simon Templar aka The Saint - who left a drawing of a stick figure with a halo as his calling card:

This may not have any basis in fact, but the notion makes perfect sense to me and I seem to recall some other Charteris/Saint references in Heinlein's work.

In any case, the astounding thing is that I was looking for images of the Saint stick figure because my father had it as a tattoo on his arm. Why? I don't know. He only laughed the few times I asked about it. But it's funny that this little circle would close in such a fashion.

Well, y'know -- "They Do It With Mirrors" was originally written for and purchased by Leslie Charteris.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Hmmm.... It's possible, I suppose, although "Adam Selene" is far closer to any western Christian idea of a saint than "Simon Jester", or (for that matter) Mike himself. IMHO Simon Jester fits the eastern idea of the "fool for Christ" a whole lot better. ;-)

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Ah, "The Saint", yes. The "Killroy was here" drawing that proliferated during World War II is another possible progenitor, and I'm sure there are a number of others.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

A number of SF authors, including Cleve Cartmill and others, were involved with the Leslie Charteris organization in the late 40s, mostly ghost-writing novels, iirc. Heinlein was invited, but he wasn't interested in pursuing it.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]