View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm



Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Heinlein Biographical thread? 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 540
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
"To my taste government should be limited to exterior defense, interior defense, and adjudication -- and you'll notice I didn't say anything about public roads, public schools."
RAH, in a 12/19/1985 newspaper interview


Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile
Heinlein Nexus

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am
Posts: 375
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
IIRC, he also tended to approve of the national park system....


Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00 am
Posts: 61
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
BillMullins wrote:
"To my taste government should be limited to exterior defense, interior defense, and adjudication -- and you'll notice I didn't say anything about public roads, public schools."
RAH, in a 12/19/1985 newspaper interview

any more info on this interview? this is exactly the type of straight forward opinion that RAH rarely expressed. I'm not familiar with this interview, but I'd like to know more


Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:17 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 540
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
AlexHergensheimer wrote:
Any more info on this interview? this is exactly the type of straight forward opinion that RAH rarely expressed. I'm not familiar with this interview, but I'd like to know more
It was on the front page of the View section of the LA Times for that date. Your librarian can probably help you get a copy.


Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm
Posts: 540
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
Here's another statement by one of Heinlein's characters that I think is revealing about RAH:

" "Back" is for emergencies; the future is better than the past. Despite the crapehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands . . . with tools . . . with horse sense and science and engineering." D. B. Davis, speaking at the end of The Door into Summer.


Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:36 am
Profile
NitroForum Oldster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am
Posts: 669
Location: DC Metro
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
BillMullins wrote:
Here's another statement by one of Heinlein's characters that I think is revealing about RAH:

" "Back" is for emergencies; the future is better than the past. Despite the crapehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands . . . with tools . . . with horse sense and science and engineering." D. B. Davis, speaking at the end of The Door into Summer.


This book was written when Heinlein was still in his optimistic period, IMHO. I think his optimism that advancements in science would continue to make life better began to fade as time went on. (OK, you're going to ask me to prove my assertion, aren't you?) :x

_________________
"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable." - Heinlein, Expanded Universe


Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:01 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Posts: 2401
Location: The Quiet Earth
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
There's a maxim that the young see the future, adults see the present and the old see the past - I wouldn't say this is untrue of Heinlein, although his first two stages seem to extend to later years than most.

Look at the extent his later works are concerned with rearranging the past to make a better present. Even Door into Summer was concerned about rearranging the past and present to make a better future...

_________________
"Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders." - Luther
In the end, I found Heinlein is finite. Thus, finite analysis is needed.


Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 am
Profile
Heinlein Nexus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 2232
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
JamesGifford wrote:
Look at the extent his later works are concerned with rearranging the past to make a better present. Even Door into Summer was concerned about rearranging the past and present to make a better future...


+1 insightful

:mrgreen:


Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 152
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
The first two stories that happened by my mind while I was thinking about rearranging pasts and futures are "By His Bootstraps" and "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag". These are atypical, but they don't seem to fit into any simple schema.

_________________
http://www.Troynovant.com/ - recurrent inspiration


Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 am
Posts: 265
Location: Northwest Georgia
Post Re: Heinlein Biographical thread?
JamesGifford wrote:
Look at the extent his later works are concerned with rearranging the past to make a better present. Even Door into Summer was concerned about rearranging the past and present to make a better future...

Neither AYZ, BHB, nor DIS are concerned with 'rearranging' the past as all of the events which occurred, occur again as the protagonist(s) go through the time looping. They are simply seen from a different POV each time through the loop. This is not as apparent in DIS as Dan was not aware of his second trip the first time around. Clues, however, do indicate that they were the same. "Who left the screen unlocked" and "Where did he park his car" which are explained by events caused by Dan which are shown the second time.

(see http://dwrighsr.tripod.com/heinlein/Tim ... eories.htm. This was an earlier version of my article which was published in The Heinlein Journal in Vol. 11, June 2002 and Vol. 12, January 2003).

"Farnham's Freehold" does show a rearranged past, but it is doubtful as to whether Hugh and Barbara had any part in doing the rearranging as they found at least one change had already occurred when they arrived back in the past, notably, that Barbara's car had shifted from being an automatic to a manual drive.


Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF