View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
"Another Opening of Another Show . . ." 

Post Re: "Another Opening of Another Show . . ."
How about a simple and short press release from the current publisher or the Trust to the student sections of the various professional Engineering and Technical societies: IEEE, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Physical Society, SPIE, American Chemical Society, Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, etc; schools with strong military backgrounds (service academies, Norwich, Texas A&M, etc.); and the student newspapers of top engineering schools (The Tech at MIT, etc.)

The release should mention Heinlein's origins in engineering, and how it led to such an influential novel. The targeted audience is geeky enough that it should be receptive to the message, and technical education is still rigorous enough that the idea of reading a book shouldn't scare people off.

Wed May 27, 2009 9:48 am
Heinlein Biographer

Bill Mullins wrote:
How about a simple and short press release from the current publisher or the Trust to the student sections of the various professional Engineering and Technical societies: IEEE, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Physical Society, SPIE, American Chemical Society, Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, etc; schools with strong military backgrounds (service academies, Norwich, Texas A&M, etc.); and the student newspapers of top engineering schools (The Tech at MIT, etc.)

The release should mention Heinlein's origins in engineering, and how it led to such an influential novel. The targeted audience is geeky enough that it should be receptive to the message, and technical education is still rigorous enough that the idea of reading a book shouldn't scare people off.

That's a very cogent suggestion, Bill. Thanks. I'll pass it along.

Wed May 27, 2009 6:10 pm

I have Tunnel in the Sky on my rising 8th graders' reading list. I would be happy to put Starship Troopers in my classroom too, but I have such a tiny corner of the sky and a very small influence.
I do, however, buy both Starship Troopers and Moon is a Harsh Mistress in large quantities and hand them out. And I sent ST to a friend's son who was serving in Iraq. Bit by bit, little by little, I do what I can.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2