View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Another Opening of Another Show . . ." 
Heinlein Biographer

Post "Another Opening of Another Show . . ."
It just occurred to me that in November this year will be the 50th anniversary of the publication of Starship Troopers. Anybody want to discuss what might be done about it?

Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 pm
PITA Bred

Post Re: "Another Opening of Another Show . . ."
Peter. Tim. Tina. Get him!

Thu May 21, 2009 7:11 pm
Centennial Attendee

Bill Patterson wrote:
It just occurred to me that in November this year will be the 50th anniversary of the publication of Starship Troopers. Anybody want to discuss what might be done about it?

Personally, in honor of the occasion, I intend to fry some bacon. :D

Fri May 22, 2009 7:11 am
Profile YIM WWW

I guess it's time to begin my long-planned effort to see to it that the spelling "Johnny Rico" is corrected to "Johnnie Rico" at all 50,037 web sites where it's misspelled...

Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Bill Patterson wrote:

Delightful use of the passive voice. Why, something may well emerge from the etheric void, particle physics and quantum mechanics being as unpredictable as they are.

Sun May 24, 2009 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:

Delightful use of the passive voice. Why, something may well emerge from the etheric void, particle physics and quantum mechanics being as unpredictable as they are.

One more panel!

Ok, so I have enough regard for my skin not to make a direct suggestion. So sue me.

I've e-mailed Art asking if the HPT has any plans, and if it results in a correspondence intend to take the opportunity to point out how useless THS has become. I actually do have something in mind for this; it's just that I'm not sure how much can be done in only five months. But we've got a nice contact at the Naval Academy and Herb should be back from Sabbatical by then. I was thinking of contacting each of the five military academies that have had ST on its required or recommended reading lists and trying to get togther a very informal meeting.

But I think some kind of commemoration would be appropriate for at least each of the three highly influential core works, ST, Stranger, and TMIAHM.

"Books that will live forever have a lifetime of about thirty years" -- Mark Twain

Sun May 24, 2009 6:38 am
Heinlein Biographer

Bill Patterson wrote:

Actually, I would like to see some discussion. I had an immediate idea and I put out a feeler to see if it was practical. I thought off the top of my head that a big celebratory thingie would not be possible. I'm looking for other ideas.

Mon May 25, 2009 12:29 pm
PITA Bred

I'm at a loss trying to come up with anything meaningful to do, all issues of time and cost and effort aside. What, precisely, would be the goal or worth of publicizing or commemorating the anniversary? I ask that in the broadest possible sense, as in "what is there to be gained, by anyone, by recognizing the moment?"

The only point or purpose would be to spike sales of the novel. And maybe the wretched films. So we do [something], another 100,000 copies get sold, the Trust gets a pocketful... and? Other than that, I don't know what there is to gain by marking the milestone. (And I wish there was some good reason or purpose in getting the Trust another bag of loot, but frankly... whatever its purpose, it's not for anything I much value.)

What do you see as the point/purpose/goal?

Mon May 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Well, if someone who had never read the book were to pick it up and read it, that would be a good thing.

Troopers and Harsh Mistress are probably the only two Heinlein works that have had any influence on me (that is, I think I'd be a somewhat different person than I am if I had never read them).

Tue May 26, 2009 12:59 pm
PITA Bred

Bill Mullins wrote:
Well, if someone who had never read the book were to pick it up and read it, that would be a good thing.

I wouldn't disagree. How do you suggest we reach and inspire people who might be interested but have never read ST?

Tue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next