View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Heinlein Society 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Heinlein Society
sakeneko wrote:
I'm not sure I want to know more <sigh>, but... You do have to go on if you want those of us fans who were out of the whole mess to know what you mean. For one, what on *earth* are the LA Freemasons? If that's in reference to something in Los Angeles, I lived there for a few years recently and don't know what you mean.

Perhaps you may have seen people doing this:

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/fiction/m ... ake02.html

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
sakeneko wrote:
I'm not sure I want to know more <sigh>, but... You do have to go on if you want those of us fans who were out of the whole mess to know what you mean. For one, what on *earth* are the LA Freemasons? If that's in reference to something in Los Angeles, I lived there for a few years recently and don't know what you mean.

Perhaps you may have seen people doing this:

http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/fiction/m ... ake02.html

And for a second there, I thought, "break dancing freemasons?" Nah!

Actually, the Masons are still around and everywhere; they just don't keep a very high profile.

David was a fairly high-level official in one of the LA Lodges (ISTR there are three or so around here). The impression I got talking to David was that they made all the arrangements among themselves. there was no up and down-hierarchy communication at all, and they relied on the membership to pay for everything and as a source of unpaid labor -- sound familiar?

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 pm
Heinlein Biographer

sakeneko wrote:

Oh, and if you lived in LA and found yourself driving on Wilshire from the westside toward downtown, you passed the Scottish Rite Masonic Temple between Western and Normandie. If you are at all involved with the arts community in San Francisco, you will attend performances as the Masonic Auditorium in the downtown.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:21 pm

I know what the Freemasons are, have since high school. But I wasn't (and still am not) at all sure what this particular reference was about. It sounded like it was about some SMOFish crowd in LA that used the term "Mason" but wasn't actually part of Masonry.

Oh, well. I'll figure it out sooner or later. ;-)

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

sakeneko wrote:
I know what the Freemasons are, have since high school. But I wasn't (and still am not) at all sure what this particular reference was about. It sounded like it was about some SMOFish crowd in LA that used the term "Mason" but wasn't actually part of Masonry.

Oh, well. I'll figure it out sooner or later. ;-)

Well, if David's example is meaningful, "SMOFish" may be an apt description, but so far as I know this is an ordinary Scottish Rite Masonic Lodge in Los Angeles.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 am
PITA Bred

Bill Patterson wrote:
Well, if David's example is meaningful, "SMOFish" may be an apt description...

Pronounced "Sma' fish"?

<fx runs away chortling with glee />

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 am
PITA Bred

Bill Patterson wrote:
Actually, the Masons are still around and everywhere; they just don't keep a very high profile.

That's likely because their backs are bent with age. My understanding is that US Masonry has an average age now in the late 50s. Fraternal organizations have been on the skids since the 1970s. Perhaps the DepRecession will rejuvenate them.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:10 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:

That's likely because their backs are bent with age. My understanding is that US Masonry has an average age now in the late 50s. Fraternal organizations have been on the skids since the 1970s. Perhaps the DepRecession will rejuvenate them.

I kinda doubt it. Freemasonry is the public doorway to a whole range of subjects that used to be labeled *esoteric*. But the esoteric wall is a lace curtain these days. Yo can get any amount of misinformation about, say, crystallomancy at any gem shop or street fair in any big city.

They used to get first pick of anyone who was interested enough in this out of the way stuff, because they held the gateway, and coming into the cold from a formalized gateway gave you exposure to a whole range of material in a specified pedagogical order (which is what the numbered degrees of Freemasony does). If, again, you get your curiosity satisfied by the ravings of a crystal mage, then you won't get exposed at all to, say, the HBofL theory of practical magic.

In Hollywood there is a general esoterica book-and-paraphernalia shop called Pan Pipes; I was browsing the bookshelves one way when I overheard the owner fielding a question from a seeker who obviously had no exposure to any of the lore. To this guy Gardnerian Wicca was The Way, the Whole Way, and the Only Way, which is bullshit. He only confused and repelled his prospect. I haven't been back since -- and I doubt that seeker has, either.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 am
Heinlein Nexus

It is my impression that the majority of Masons joined for the business benefits (i.e., "follow the money"). A eurocentric-tinged bias, perhaps, but I'd be shocked if the same reasoning didn't apply in the USA. Join the Masons and - so I was led to believe - you would be part of a club of successful people who would preferentially do business with you, sweeten deals, and generally smooth the way in return for you scratching their own backs.

These days there are a plethora more alternatives for that that don't require having your naked backside paddled amidst threats of being disemboweled for revealing the secret handshake - or so I was led to believe. The main benefit of joining the Masons these days seems to be to hang out with other people who want to rule the world. That would tend to select for an older demographic.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
It is my impression that the majority of Masons joined for the business benefits (i.e., "follow the money"). A eurocentric-tinged bias, perhaps, but I'd be shocked if the same reasoning didn't apply in the USA. Join the Masons and - so I was led to believe - you would be part of a club of successful people who would preferentially do business with you, sweeten deals, and generally smooth the way in return for you scratching their own backs.

These days there are a plethora more alternatives for that that don't require having your naked backside paddled amidst threats of being disemboweled for revealing the secret handshake - or so I was led to believe. The main benefit of joining the Masons these days seems to be to hang out with other people who want to rule the world. That would tend to select for an older demographic.

The shadow of 1826 still falls long over Freemasonry in the U.S. In public, the fraternal organization is all they wish to be known for.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next