View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
RAH correspondence surfaces at Northern Illinois University 
Centennial Attendee

Post RAH correspondence surfaces at Northern Illinois University
Just found this on the interweb. I have no idea if this correspondence is known to Mr. Patterson and other Heinlein scholars at this forum, but just in case....

http://rarelylynne.livejournal.com/119899.html

Quote:
I'm pleased to announce that Northern Illinois University has acquired the correspondence archives from the 1962 WorldCon (Chicon III) that was held in Chicago as an addition to our SF collections. These archives document the behind-the-scenes workings of putting together a WorldCon, as well as the interrelationships between SF authors, publishers, and their fandom in the 1960s.

1962 is the year that Theodore Sturgeon was the WorldCon GOH, and that Heinlein won his Hugo for Stranger in a Strange Land. You can find some pictures (not part of this archive) here.

Once the archives are processed, they will be made available to researchers through a finding aid. This acquisition was made possible through the generosity of the Friends of the NIU Libraries....

... Inside those binders is extensive correspondence with Isaac Asimov (in which he is asked to make a silly speech about the Importance of Pinching Derrieres), Robert Heinlein (talking about his wife's health problems), Theodore Sturgeon, Alfred Hitchcock's people, Ray Bradbury donating a manuscript for auction, Forrest Ackerman, and a whole lot of other people.

As mentioned, there a link to photos of the event (though not part of the NIU archives), including a nice shot of "Heinlein holding court" in a hotel room full of fans, and another of RAH receiving his Hugo for SiaSL.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 am
PITA Bred

Post Re: RAH correspondence surfaces at Northern Illinois University
Fred R wrote:
As mentioned, there a link to photos of the event (though not part of the NIU archives), including a nice shot of "Heinlein holding court" in a hotel room full of fans, and another of RAH receiving his Hugo for SiaSL.

I presume the latter clearly shows the spotlight that Mr. H. demanded from the concom.
:lol: :roll:

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 am
NitroForum Oldster

Great pictures. I especially like the one of Harlan Ellison looking like he was about 12 years old.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:14 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Actually, this could be immensely valuable in sorting out Earl Kemp's unsupported claims about Heinlein's behavior WRT the con. Bill or RJ need to get their hooks into that material and vet Kemp's claims. (Betcha he never expected to have his backside so exposed...)

Not that it will make a bit of difference to the Panshinites. They know old Bob was really a domineering jerk the way Kemp described it, letters and other data be damned.

And they're so puzzled about it. :mrgreen:

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Actually, this could be immensely valuable in sorting out Earl Kemp's unsupported claims about Heinlein's behavior WRT the con. Bill or RJ need to get their hooks into that material and vet Kemp's claims. (Betcha he never expected to have his backside so exposed...)

Not that it will make a bit of difference to the Panshinites. They know old Bob was really a domineering jerk the way Kemp described it, letters and other data be damned.

And they're so puzzled about it. :mrgreen:

What they've got is part of Kemp's end of the correspondence which is in the Heinlein Archive. I debated what to do about Kemp's splenetic assertionsand ultimately decided it was not necessary to do anything specific, for two reasons: the teapot is too tiny -- a splinter of a splinter, and second Kemp's essay is to a certain extent self-refuting. Any body who knows anything at all about the facility or worldcons in general knows instantly that a follow-spot would simply not be possible in the circumstances Kemp talks about.

Apparently that whole story comes out of a phone conversation Ginny happened to overhear as she was in the room at the same time, in which Heinlein said he didn't want to take "the shine" off Sturgeon. Ginny mentioned this in passing in a tape recorded interview with me about four months before Panshin published his "Crazy Monkey" papers.

I covered what I thought needed to be gotten into the record in the second volume of the biography, but, frankly, this is a subject so minor that it didn't need much attention because it would throw the scale of the biography out of whack.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]