View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Isaac Asimov's FBI File 
Centennial Attendee

Post Isaac Asimov's FBI File
Using the Freedom of Information Act, a group named MuckRock has obtained documents from the FBI pertaining to Isaac Asimov.

It's not highly interesting. It seems to stem from a couple of reports from the sort of informants who send trivial concerns and gossip to the FBI. And there is no connection to Heinlein whatsoever. Nevertheless, I thought it worth mentioning here.

Story: https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2013/nov/07/isaac-asimov-fbi-file-ROBPROF/

The FBI file: https://muckrock.s3.amazonaws.com/foia_files/10-23-13_MR8300_RES.pdf

Here's something not mentioned in news accounts of this file.
Quote:
On 4/20/54 REDACTED SOMEBODY advised [Special Agent, I think] REDACTED NAME that she and her REDACTED NOUN, a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, were "science fiction" enthusiasts and in 1952 or 1953 attended a three day convention at the Henry Hudson Hotel, NYC. It was confided to her at the convention by REDACTED NAME that Science Fiction Magazines did a large amount of "blind" publishing for the CP [Communist Party].

REDACTED SOMEBODY named ROBERT LOWNDES and DAMON KNIGHT as editors of the Science Fiction Magazines and ISAAC ASIMOV, a cancer researcher at the Boston General Hospital, as a contributor to Science Fiction Magazines. She stated that ASIMOV also wrote book reviews for the defunct publication named "Compass."

The following excerpts were taken from SAC [Special Agent in Charge, I think] letter 54-62 dated 11/3/54:

On 10/14/52 REDACTED NAME advised that the organization "National Compass Clubs" formed in March, 1951, by members of the CP with approval of the "higher committee" of the CP. According to the informant, the aim of these clubs was to hold CP meetings under the guise and name of the Compass Club and at the same time wath the policies of the New York daily newspaper "Daily Compass."

In 1952 REDACTED NAME advised that the editorial and reportorial staff of the "Daily Compass" was composed in the majority of Communists and Communist sympathizers.

The "Daily Compass" suspended publication on 11/3/52.

If I knew more about Commie-fighting, I might know what "blind" publishing was supposed to be.

It might be possible to identify the con where REDACTED SOMEBODY picked up this gossip, or to identify her and her REDACTED NOUN. Might not be worth the trouble.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]