View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sully Sullenberger 
PITA Bred

Post Sully Sullenberger
It's very early in the year, but I nominate Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III as Heinlein Man of 2009.

Who he?

"..the US Airways pilot who today amazingly crash-landed a US Airways jet in New York's Hudson River without any apparent fatalities. The heroic Sullenberger, 57, has worked for US Airways since 1980, and before that spent more than six years as a U.S. Air Force F-4 fighter pilot. Sullenberger...is also the founder of Safety Reliability Methods. The firm describes itself as providing "technical expertise and strategic vision and direction to improve safety and reliability in a variety of high risk industries."

As TSG, the source of the above, footnotes, "Business should soon be booming." They also note, tongue-in-cheekly, that he "now must be considered the front runner to replace Hillary Clinton as New York's junior United States Senator."

This is the guy you want at the stick when sh*t happens. Kind of like Alfred Haynes, the pilot who made the horrifying miracle landing of Flight 232 at Sioux City. ("Oh, you want me to land on a runway? *laughs*) When Haynes appeared at the Airline Pilots Association meeting later that year, he received a 10-minute standing ovation from his peers. Captain Sullenberger to the podium please.

Lest anyone think this incident might have been a cakewalk (up we go, splash we go), read up on the nearly identical 1980 DC crash of Flight 90. 78 fatalities. Primary cause: pilot inexperience and poor judgement.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:10 am

Post Re: Sully Sullenberger
And let's not forget Air Canada 143.

I have long said that *this* is why we pay these guys $200,000 a year for half as many hours as Joe the Plumber.

Second. All in favor?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 am
PITA Bred

Oh, yes, jayzuss, the Gimli Glider. Deadsticking in a dead 767... what fun.

I'll take Experience in the Cockpit for $200,000, Alex.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 am
Centennial Attendee

Baylink wrote:
I have long said that *this* is why we pay these guys $200,000 a year for half as many hours as Joe the Plumber.

Um, not quite. Here's some airline salary info from pea.com:

American Airlines: 1st yr F/O: $31,080 and 10th yr Captain $123,420

Delta Airlines: 1st yr F/O: $50,400 and 10th yr Captain $204,636

UPS: 1st yr F/O: $26,004 and 10th yr Captain $200,508

Southwest: 1st yr F/O: $42,960 and 10th yr Captain $159,000

ATA: 1st yr F/O: $36,000 and 10th yr Captain $136,632

Airborne Express: 1st yr F/O $28,536 and 10th yr Captain $146,184

And half as many hours as Joe the Plumber? Wrong again. They have a max of 80 hours a month of actual flying, but, of course, that doesn't take into account all the other time they spend at work, training, doing pre-flight and post-flight tasks, and being away from their families on layovers and deadheads. Nor does it take into account furloughs. This is from Patrick Smith, the guy who writes the Ask The Pilot column in Salon: "The last heavy-duty furlough cycle, dovetailing nicely with our last economic recession, stretched from the late 1980s into mid-1990s. During that period, some USAir/US Airways pilots waited over eight years for recall."

My dad flew for American Airlines, and it was no picnic. As if all these other considerations weren't enough, he could never get used to a particular time schedule, since the trips he flew changed every month. He ended up spending a large portion of the time he was home asleep.

I think it's a shame that all the media attention is going to the captain of the flight, when the first officer in the right seat was every bit as responsible for the outcome. *And* he gave the shirt off his back, literally, to one of the passengers who had spent some time in the water and was cold.

Dan

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Heinlein Nexus

You guys beat me to the punch on several counts - including mention of the copilot while I was typing this!

I'll just add that the next time you see someone abusing a flight attendant and treating them as a high altitude waitress, remind them that a waitress will never be called upon to drag them out of a freezing river.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

dh490311 wrote:
Here's some airline salary info from pea.com:

American Airlines: 1st yr F/O: $31,080 and 10th yr Captain $123,420

Delta Airlines: 1st yr F/O: $50,400 and 10th yr Captain $204,636

UPS: 1st yr F/O: $26,004 and 10th yr Captain $200,508

Southwest: 1st yr F/O: $42,960 and 10th yr Captain $159,000

ATA: 1st yr F/O: $36,000 and 10th yr Captain $136,632

Airborne Express: 1st yr F/O $28,536 and 10th yr Captain $146,184

Hmm... are we to conclude from this that parcels are more important than people?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:15 pm
Profile WWW

Close enough for airline work. :-)

Those guys make twice what I do, and on up.

But I was lauding it, not denigrating it.

My point, which I believe you missed, was "he just earned his entirely yearly salary for the last 5 years, whatever it is".

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 pm
PITA Bred

UPS tends to be long-haul heavies, a class in itself. Southwest is nearly all short-haul 737s - they're the Greyhound of the air. Many of the other airlines have a long history of union problems. There's no simple basis for aircrew pay.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm
Centennial Attendee

Baylink wrote:
My point, which I believe you missed...

I got it. I just didn't want all the readers of the board to think that most or all airline pilots make $200K+/year for only 80 hours/month of work. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

I also neglected to mention the strict physical requirements. Airline pilots have to pass the most rigorous class of FAA medical exams every six months. Things that wouldn't disqualify anyone else for almost any other job (e.g. the slightest bit of color blindness) will ground an airline pilot instantly and forever. I lost my FAA medical certificate in 1989 with a diagnosis of Type II diabetes.

And, for the record, I heartily endorse the conclusion that Capt. Scully earned his entire year's salary in a few minutes this week. There are many such instances, the vast majority of which pass completely unnoticed by anyone in the cabin of the aircraft or on the ground outside of Air Traffic Control.

As for packages vs. people, UPS and FedEx also do all their flying at night, which raises the pay.

Dan

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, my best friend is trying really hard not to lose his Class 1 eligibility over his BP...

Last edited by Baylink on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next