View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Heinlein speech at 1976 Worldcon 

Post Heinlein speech at 1976 Worldcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNZeFizdjk

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:51 pm
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Heinlein speech at 1976 Worldcon
According to Youtube, "This video is part of the Video Archeology project coordinated by Geri Sullivan, with technical work by David Dyer-Bennet." The 1976 World Science Fiction Convention, MidAmeriCon, mounted an impressive effort to videotape panels, ceremonies, and other parts of its program. Recently Geri, David, and other volunteers have been working to digitize these tapes and make them available.

The clip is described this way:
Quote:
Speech by George Barr (Fan Guest of Honor) plus tributes to Robert Heinlein (Professional Guest of Honor) along with his response. MidAmeriCon, the 34th World Science Fiction Convention, was held in Kansas City in 1976. This video of the Guest of Honor Banquet includes tributes to Robert A. Heinlein from Bob Tucker, Alfred Bester, Frederik Pohl, George Scithers, Jerry Pournelle, L. Sprague de Camp, Larry Niven and others. There's a lot of respect and love evident in these tributes, and not a little humor.
So most of its length is occupied by speakers other than Heinlein. We don't see Heinlein take the stage until about 1 hour and 6 minutes into the ceremony. He speaks briefly, mostly to milk laughs from the crowd.

This video is hosted on the channel of the Fanac Fan History Project, where one can explore quite a few other clips featuring prominent fans and authors. I'm pretty sure more will be added as the Video Archaeologists continue their excavations...

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

beamjockey wrote:
According to Youtube, "This video is part of the Video Archeology project coordinated by Geri Sullivan, with technical work by David Dyer-Bennet."

By the way, Heinlein scholars might like to note that David Dyer-Bennet, an expert photographer, not only attended the 1976 Worldcon, but also took photos of Heinlein autographing stuff.

David has made his photos available to Wikimedia Commons. As a result, they are very widely reproduced, and you have probably seen one or more of them. When you do image-searches for "heinlein" or "robert heinlein" on Google or Bing, David's pictures invariably come up in the top ten or fifteen hits. Sadly, they're not always attributed to him.

When you see a black-and-white image of a bald Heinlein in a Hawaiian shirt sitting at a table, surrounded by fans (if they haven't been cropped out), sometimes with a couple of cans of Coke visible at his elbow, you're looking at David Dyer-Bennet's work.

Here's an example at Wikimedia Commons.

Here are all David's photos from that Worldcon, Midamericon, including many shots of Robert and Virginia Heinlein.

Though I didn't attend that Worldcon, I'm surprised at how many fans in these shots are people I know. Guess I've been in fandom a long time now.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Profile WWW

Is that Spider Robinson standing in the middle of this one?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:12 pm

BillMullins, here's the caption, from the wikimedia commons batch, for a picture taken seconds before the one you refer to:

Quote:
Ozzie@Spaceyideas.Com at 207.203.67.250 said: Robert Osband (Ozzie) is getting his copy of "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" autographed by Robert Heinlein while wearing the training liner of space suit he bought at ILC Inductries of Dover DE, when the manufacturer cleaned out the attic and held a garage sale following the end of the Apollo Program.

The hirstute gentleman may well be Spider Robinson. Here's a picture of Spider from 1976:

FWIW . . .

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:09 am

From comparing the pictures, I'd guess that it is not Spider. The beard on the "possible Spider" is much denser than the one on the guy in the Sheraton picture.

This shot shows RAH with a pack of cigarettes. I'm surprised that TB didn't cure him of that habit.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:17 am
Centennial Attendee

BillMullins wrote:
From comparing the pictures, I'd guess that it is not Spider. The beard on the "possible Spider" is much denser than the one on the guy in the Sheraton picture.

The Sheraton-Park Hotel picture is from Discon II in 1974, not 1976, according to the fanac.org site. (As it happens, that photo was ALSO shot by David Dyer-Bennet!)

Spider's beard ebbed and flowed in those years. Here's a photo from around 1975 or 1976 where his beard is rather full.

I tried to compare the gent in DD-B's Heinlein photo with old photos of Spider by the shape of their eyeglass frames-- something which might change less often than hair or beard-- but I can't say I found anything conclusive.

Note that the guy we're speculating about is wearing a (denim?) jacket and a white shirt. Ozzie, who is wearing his dark "space suit" coverall, is to the left, and, though they have similar long hair, glasses, moustaches, and beards, Ozzie is not Possible-Spider.

When I first looked at these photos, I recognized Ozzie, e-mailed him to verify that it was he in the autograph line, and told DD-B about this. Ozzie is an interesting character. The best story I know about him is that he arranged for his hometown to have the only vanity area code I know of.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

More vintage photos of Spider Robinson here and here. In none of the mid-1970s vintage SR photos is his beard as dense below the corners of his mouth as is the beard of the mystery gentleman.

beamjockey wrote:
The best story I know about him is that he arranged for his hometown to have the only vanity area code I know of.

There are more.
(I am a UTK alum, engineering, class of 1985)

Central Kentucky, including Lexington, is 859. The Univ of KY is in Lexington: 859 = UKY.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Quote:
This shot shows RAH with a pack of cigarettes. I'm surprised that TB didn't cure him of that habit.

BillMullins, I don't think having had the tuberculus bacillus and smoking have much to do with each other. Heinlein remained a heavy smoker until the late 1970's, and he did die at age 80, a ripe enough age for that period of time. His long period of smoking likely exacerbated his death from emphysema and heart failure, and it clearly had something to do with his TIAs and blocked carotid artery. But, other than leaving some scar tissue in his lungs, I don't think his bout with TB early in his adulthood affected him much at all.

For cigarette trivia buffs, note the coupon trapped under the cellophane. I'll bet those were either Raleighs or BelAirs.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:31 am

mostlyclassics wrote:
For cigarette trivia buffs, note the coupon trapped under the cellophane. I'll bet those were either Raleighs or BelAirs.

Good eye!

If you zoom in and rotate on this shot, you can see that yes, they are Raleighs.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next