View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
New Heinlein Tribute book? 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: New Heinlein Tribute book?
freesharon wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
James Gifford wrote:
One of my favorite cartoons of all time shows Colonel Sanders handing a menu back to a waitress. "Anything but fried chicken."

Yeah. The VE didn't do that to me, but the biography certainly is.

I can certainly believe it, but I hope you know that those of us out here waiting for that bio are ever so grateful for all the time you dedicated to the project, and look forward with great anticipation to its publication. Thanks!

You're certainly welcome as can be. I greatly enjoyed doing it -- but the editing has turned into a torture. And even though we're not even finished with the first volume (2 and a half hears after turning it in), I'm starting to forget the original research that made it possible to write it in the first place, which means I'm getting to the point where I cannot realistically do the kinds of revisions the editor wants to see. I find myself having to omit factual statements because I cannot find the citation -- for no reason other than that I cannot remember any longer exactly how Heinlein phrased a comment (and cannot therefore find it in my notes). And since the editor has the bizarre notion that any mention of any kind of interiority -- feelings, thoughts, intentions -- requires special citation, this is a severe handicap, becoming severer.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:43 pm
Heinlein Biographer

freesharon wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
James Gifford wrote:
One of my favorite cartoons of all time shows Colonel Sanders handing a menu back to a waitress. "Anything but fried chicken."

Yeah. The VE didn't do that to me, but the biography certainly is.

I can certainly believe it, but I hope you know that those of us out here waiting for that bio are ever so grateful for all the time you dedicated to the project, and look forward with great anticipation to its publication. Thanks!

Arrgh! Internal Server Error when I tried to post the long reply, and it's all disappeared into the ether.

Well, you are certainly welcome. I enjoyed doing it. The problem is two and a half years after receiving the ms. the editor has not finished with the first volume, and I'm starting to forget the exact wording of the millions of words of letters and so forth I read nine and eight and seven years ago. Since the editor has the bizarre notion that any form of interiority claim -- thoughts, feelings, intentions -- requires special citation, this is becoming a severe handicap, as I can no longer find the exact quote in the 30 MB file of notes I used to write the books.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:43 pm
Centennial Attendee

Bill Patterson wrote:
The problem is two and a half years after receiving the ms. the editor has not finished with the first volume, and I'm starting to forget the exact wording of the millions of words of letters and so forth I read nine and eight and seven years ago. Since the editor has the bizarre notion that any form of interiority claim -- thoughts, feelings, intentions -- requires special citation, this is becoming a severe handicap, as I can no longer find the exact quote in the 30 MB file of notes I used to write the books.

Not for the first time, I find myself wishing that the PDFs of the correspondence had been scanned with optical character recognition. I don't know whether that is even practical for documents of this kind-- certainly in every PDF there are a few pages that are unreadable-- but it would be great for this stuff to be searchable, even if the error rate were pretty high.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 am
Profile WWW

Well, I certainly hope you're *keeping* the first edition, before editorial-order rewriting...

:-)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2