View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Other RAH forums? 

Post Re: Other RAH forums?
Only two others I can think of are Usenet and possibly Dueling Modems, although I haven't been over there in years and don't know if they're even there any more.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

I was referring specifically to the former homes of the Heinlein Forum - started on Prodigy, picked me up when it moved to GEnie, then has been on SFFnet for a good ten years. SFFnet is a good place but a bit isolated, which is why I suggest moving the HF again - or at least opening a branch HQ here.

There was a hilariously insular little board called Quotable Heinlein. The forum was open-access and so had to be taken down a few years ago; my attempts to contact the five or so regulars and the board op all went unanswered. The site is still there, untouched since about 2000, but the forums and chat are still gone. I always kind of liked the place because I was the resident incarnation of Satan. Long story.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:38 pm
Centennial Attendee

Jim-- personally, I don't think you need to have a separate topic for the HF. In some blurb description for the NF overall, just put that the Heinlein Forum cobbers hang out here, too, and list the HF URL in links resources.

I'll eventually revise the HF web page to say that we frequent this forum, it's been linked since at least last year. After the Centennial I revised the webpage to be a little more current with what RAH resources were out there.

At one point at the dawn of widespread internet use the HF had forums on Prodigy, GEnie, AOL, SFFNet and Delphi. The only place we never really had a foothold was on CompuServe. The two main forums were Prodigy and GEnie, though. We had a couple of really great years on SFF Net, but then I think Web 2.0 kinda overtook serious genre discussion and now it's time to take it back. :)

I doubt we'll abandon the outpost on SFF Net, but if conversation takes off here I don't see people double-posting much. I think Jeffry's admin schedule would probably delete the group if it didn't get any posts in a quarter. It hasn't even hit the archive tipping point in the last few years.

I think the problem any RAH group is going to have is to get the right balance to allow newbies to discuss works for the first time, while still keeping those that have "been there done that" around for color commentary without intimidating the newbies.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:15 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Okay. I'll leave it to you - if at any time you think a separate forum for the HFers would be useful, let me know. It isn't a matter of use, as a forum costs zero except in my time to set it up, and perhaps a named locus would help focus the group even if they rarely post there.

JusTin wrote:
At one point at the dawn of widespread internet use the HF had forums on Prodigy, GEnie, AOL, SFFNet and Delphi.

Was that when SFFnet was a separate dial-in entity? I'd forgotten Delphi, and didn't AOL follow the demise of GEnie?

Quote:
We had a couple of really great years on SFF Net, but then I think Web 2.0 kinda overtook serious genre discussion and now it's time to take it back. :)

Yeah, well, explain this "Web 2.0" crap to me someday. I don't get it unless you mean Web 1.0 aw dressed up in flashy duds. :P

You are right that whatever the web is now, focused, accessible discussion of a variety of topics is the one thing that fell out of the mix. We need a Fidonet/21 or Usenet 2.0 or whatever.

Quote:
I think the problem any RAH group is going to have is to get the right balance to allow newbies to discuss works for the first time, while still keeping those that have "been there done that" around for color commentary without intimidating the newbies.

Abso-fraggin-lutely. I've thought about splitting the general discussion forum into (crudely speaking) noob talk and oldster whining. Nearly everyone who comes along new to online RAH has the same set of questions, and those who have been through a few rounds get real tired of the circular discussion. The newbies either get ignored, insulted or handed canned answers - and I guess every person who comes along is entitled to take the whole class if they so desire.

Maybe I'll refurb it so that this forum is Heinlein 101: Welcome to RAH Online and the other general forum is Old Hands on Deck or something. An intro/warmup/newbie lounge that interested oldsters can mentor as they like, and a postgrad lounge where no one asks what race Eunice was. :)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:20 am

James Gifford wrote:
Was that when SFFnet was a separate dial-in entity? I'd forgotten Delphi, and didn't AOL follow the demise of GEnie?

SFFNet was never a dial-in entity. Jeffry Dwight and Jim Macdonald, "Yog Sysop" of GEnie SFRT fame, opened it in August 1996 as an alternative place for GENie SFRT denizens to congregate after it became clear that GENie was approaching its death throes. It was the first purely Internet service I know about that did not offer dial-up, but offered everything else for paying customers. (Email, web site, and a news server.) I think I was paying customer #1 for them; Jeffry and I go back a long ways.

Jeffry is a serious Heinlein fan, as well as reader of all science fiction and fantasy. (He's the one who got me started reading Orson Scott Card, one of my favorite writers in the field.) He isn't a big chatter about what he reads, though, and never goes to cons or other group SF community events, so a lot of people don't realize what his specific SF interests really are.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Sorry, I'm misremembering. I know there was an entity that started as an uber-BBS and migrated to Usenet - and I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of something other than Fidonet. (And no, not AOL, either.) That SFFnet used the BBSing term "sysop" might be what's confusing me.

Anyway, I'd love to see the whole HF crowd find this place and bookmark it for occasional visits, whether or not the presence on SFFnet persists.

I wasn't an original HFer, but I came along fairly early in the game. I don't recall you in that crowd - did you not discover it until it moved to SFFnet?

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 am
Centennial Attendee

James Gifford wrote:
I wasn't an original HFer, but I came along fairly early in the game.

Jim has impeccable HF credentials since Audrey vouches for him. Forget about any writing or FAQs or anything. :lol:

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:17 am
Profile WWW

I'm not really an RHFer at all; I discovered this group/crowd on SFFNet and have been lurking for years and occasionally posting on the SFFNet Heinlein Forum group. I'm an avid reader whose favorite fiction tends to be SF, and Heinlein is one of the half dozen SF writers I find myself rereading time and again. He's got what the lit world calls an "authentic voice"; there really is nobody who writes like he does. He's also aware of and intelligent about people, not just science and technology, so his stories tend to resonate with me. I can quote whole swaths of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" from memory, and am almost at that stage with some of his other books. :-)

I got involved in SF fandom in general through the GEnie network, and after leaving GEnie on the demise of GENie*Basic services in 1993, wandered through various forums til Jeffry and Jim started SFFNet. (By the way, the word "sysop" was used on GENie as well as on Fidonet, hence its use on SFFNet.)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

sakeneko wrote:
I'm not really an RHFer at all; I discovered this group/crowd on SFFNet and have been lurking for years and occasionally posting on the SFFNet Heinlein Forum group. I'm an avid reader whose favorite fiction tends to be SF, and Heinlein is one of the half dozen SF writers I find myself rereading time and again.

Sounds like a fair dinkum cobber to me! Even if you don't self-identify, you can't escape. :roll:

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

sakeneko wrote:
(By the way, the word "sysop" was used on GENie as well as on Fidonet, hence its use on SFFNet.)

It's originally a BBS term, which applied squarely to Fidonet systems. GEnie was closely modeled on the BBS format so I suppose it's no surprise they used the term. I wasn't on GEnie that long and have little recollection of it. :)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next