View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Other RAH forums? 
Heinlein Biographer

Post Re: Other RAH forums?
James Gifford wrote:
Jack Kelly wrote:
I saw your two posts, but also noticed that Bill is still quite active there.

Yes. He's maintained a presence there long after the rest of us moved along.

There's actually more Heinlein-related activity on rasf.w these days - but also more lunatics.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 am
PITA Bred

Heinlein activity on rasfw has come and gone over the years. Sometimes it's very good but the inanity level and the peevish nitpicker count tended to run high.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:12 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Heinlein activity on rasfw has come and gone over the years. Sometimes it's very good but the inanity level and the peevish nitpicker count tended to run high.

"Peevish nitpicker" seems about right. There's one guy (Mike Schilling) who is reasonably bright and sometimes quite funny, but when the subject turns to Heinleinian matters seems incapable of anything resembling ordinary discourse; since I have no interest in counting coup or playing social games, it can be a bit of a trial. And then there are the people like Gene Ward Smith who are bright enough but don't seem to be able to construe plainly-written English . . .

I said something a few months ago about being unable to discuss actual flaws and weaknesses of Heinlein there because the subject was immediately overwhelmed with a clutter of phony artifacts and incorrect readings (incorrect in the factual sense, not in the sense of disagreeing with x, y, or z) (the kind of thing of which Heinlein said "can't read or won't read"). I was immediately taken to pieces with disagreement. Then came a thread about how Heinlein supposedly badly misunderstood Relativity in Methuselah's Children -- on the sole ground, so far as I could tell, that (a) his exposition was popular rather than exact and (b) the posters would have made the exposition differently. Pointing out that a recent (2008) PBS series made exactly the same exposition of one of the points under attack (and therefore it was probably no less reasonable in 1940 than it had been in 2008) had no visible effect, and the thread went on to demonstrate exactly the point i had made in the earlier thread about drowning out sensible discourse in a flood of incompetent phony objections. *sigh*

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 am

This is Catherine Hampton, ariel@sff.net, so at least one person saw your post. I won't be abandoning SFF.net any time soon; it still has some wonderful groups for other types of discussion. The Heinlein-specific discussion is moribund, however, and I'm glad to see some actual fans here talking about RAH.

Just a couple of months ago I finally got around to reading Variable Star. IMHO like most of Spider Robinson's work it has plenty of Heinlein touches, but it read more like Robinson than Heinlein. I don't consider that a bad thing; Spider Robinson is a wonderful writer. However, if I want to read Heinlein, I reread any of my well-read and thoroughly worn copies of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", the unabridged "Stranger" (which for some reason I prefer to the official release), or any of a series of other novels and short story collections. (For some reason, I especially love "Citizen of the Galaxy", although it isn't normally considered one of his best works.)

My husband and I are moving to a new apartment next week, one large enough that we can both have our favorite books out of boxes and in their shelves! Since we both love Heinlein, that will include at least one copy of each of his books we have. (And *that* will include one copy of most books he ever published.) :-)

It's good to find this place!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Welcome.
My husband and I just moved in to a funky old house with enough room to unpack all the books, and we have wound up keeping two of each Heinlein: the hardbacks for the library, and old, much-highlighted paperbacks for a bookshelf in the bathroom. (Does this qualify as too much information? Hope not.)
Extras beyond that are being donated to friends, family, and my chiropractor's waiting room.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:04 am
PITA Bred

sakeneko wrote:
This is Catherine Hampton, ariel@sff.net, so at least one person saw your post. I won't be abandoning SFF.net any time soon; it still has some wonderful groups for other types of discussion. The Heinlein-specific discussion is moribund, however, and I'm glad to see some actual fans here talking about RAH.

Greetings and welcome!

SFF.net is unlikely to go anywhere any time soon and is a valuable resource all in itself, even if most of the individual forums are very quiet. I think I will poke JT about either echoing or continuing the Heinlein Forum here, simply for traffic reasons.

I think that part of the problem is that the several communities of fans have gotten disconnected from each other, so each group thinks there are only those five/dozen folks online. If we can concentrate the users here, it might form a nucleus to attract other wandering souls.

That would be worthwhile.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:01 am

Somebody has already posted on the SFF.net Heinlein forum group about this place; that's how I found it. ;-) But echoing it here might be a good idea. Posting over there once a month reminding people of this forum might also be a good idea. Even the less fanatical Heinlein readers probably would want to know about this forum because they occasionally have questions or want to talk about a Heinlein book or story they just discovered and read for the first time. (Yes, such people do exist, and I almost envy them the discovery.) :-)

Who is JT, by the way? The owner/operator of SFF.net is Jeffry Dwight, aka JD or Jade. (He's a fairly serious Heinlein fan himself, by the way.)

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Hi Jim, Catherine, et al. I'm JT. ;) My handle here is JusTin (I think JT was too short) but I will answer most readily to JT. Props to those of you who recognize the name Justin Foote from TEFL. My given name is John.

I have great sentimentality for an entity known as "The Heinlein Forum" and an interest in seeing it self-identified somewhere/somehow, but like I said on a.f.h I will go where the traffic is (and the noise ratio is low).

Since we are the longest posting internet haven for RAH discourse (english-speaking ;) I just want to keep it going and I'm not ego-bound exactly as to where. I own www.heinleinforum.com and I can direct people anywhere I want to from there for the discussions.

I let those on the HF know about your efforts, Jim, and I suspect you'll see the diehards create an account and lurk at least. My only problem with web forums is that I have to remember to check them. ;)

--JT

Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm
Profile WWW

Hey, JT. I saw a couple of your posts over on SFF.net tonight too. So that's who Jim was talking about. Yes, I remember Justin Foote from TEFL -- he's someone I'd want to have around, especially when civilization collapses. ;-) I hear you about "remembering to check them"; that's my biggest problem with web forums too. But I'll manage, at least with this one and the few others I usually do check.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Since you're here, JT - the question I was going to pose was whether or not you'd be okay with a "Heinlein Forum rev 4.0" (or whatever the counter is up to) here. I don't want to step on anyone's toes but as long as we're gathering up the sorry, scattered remnants of online RAHfandom, it'd be nice to see them here occasionally.

Let's see... Prodigy, GEnie, SFFnet... did I miss any instances?

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next