View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Tunnel in the Sky (A) 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm
Posts: 17
Post Tunnel in the Sky (A)
I'm 'lettering' my subject because I hope to do quite a bit of posting about Tunnel.


I reread Tunnel for the first time in a long time about 2 years ago (having read and reread, &tc many many times earlier). For two years now I've been unable to escape from it's spell. (Note: I have severe clinical depression and find repetitive tasks comforting. Despite that, there's nothing like the Master to keep stretching one's brain.) I'm both reading it and trying my hand at rewriting some of it. (I like things to go right; PeeWee lives!)

Every time I poke at Tunnel, and I tend to read it in bits now, there's something new.


> 'Combat Pioneers' mentioned once, but an immediate extended imagery comes to mind. Of course they'll be combat pioneers;
probably because of environmental extremes, but I maybe a 'lost' colony will need some help to start over again.

Johann to Rod: "I'd rather team with Thor than with a platoon of Combat Pioneers."
While waiting for their class to be sent through the Gate from Terra.

Comments?


Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 603
Location: Reno, NV
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
Just reread Tunnel in the Sky myself, first time in probably twenty years. I liked it then, and love it now. :-) Heinlein usually does have new bits for me, even those books that I've read so many times that I can recite long passages from memory.

_________________
Catherine Jefferson <ctiydspmrz@ergosphere.net>
Home Page: http://www.ergosphere.net


Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 2233
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
You're right; I'd never noticed that little throwaway before. Heinlein really mastered that art of putting you in the milieu without explaining everything, or needing to.


Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 am
Posts: 265
Location: Northwest Georgia
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
VeraLenora wrote:
Johann to Rod: "I'd rather team with Thor than with a platoon of Combat Pioneers."


Reminds me of another quote from Rod's sister Helen, "I'm hoping our squadron will be tagged to take part in the pacification of Byer's Planet."

What's going on there, I wonder? New colony or disgruntled colonists or ?


Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 541
Location: Aurora, IL, USA, Terra
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
DavidWrightSr wrote:
VeraLenora wrote:
Johann to Rod: "I'd rather team with Thor than with a platoon of Combat Pioneers."


Reminds me of another quote from Rod's sister Helen, "I'm hoping our squadron will be tagged to take part in the pacification of Byer's Planet."

What's going on there, I wonder? New colony or disgruntled colonists or ?
Revolt of the stobor, perhaps.

_________________
Bill Higgins
bill.higgins@gt.org
http://beamjockey.livejournal.com


Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:52 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am
Posts: 669
Location: DC Metro
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
Tunnel - my default favorite Heinlein. His depiction of the masses gathered at the Gate is particularly vivid. The Chinese being forced-marched through. Later, the party with the Conestoga wagons and Buffalo Bill lookalike guide. Awesome.

_________________
"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable." - Heinlein, Expanded Universe


Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Juneau, AK
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
I just reread it too, first time in probably 10 years. I wonder if sister Helen's Amazons are a unit of the Combat Pioneers?

One other thing struck me--we never find out, that I could see, who killed off Johann and Thor (and if I read correctly, very soon after they go through the Gate) and who tried to kill Rod. Though Rod's knife was found by Jackie on an unrecognizable corpse, IIRC.

I don't have the book with me now and won't have access to it until next week; anyone picked up a hint about who the mysterious Bad Guy(s) are?

_________________
"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."


Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:32 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: Tunnel in the Sky (A)
RobertPearson wrote:
I just reread it too, first time in probably 10 years. I wonder if sister Helen's Amazons are a unit of the Combat Pioneers?

One other thing struck me--we never find out, that I could see, who killed off Johann and Thor (and if I read correctly, very soon after they go through the Gate) and who tried to kill Rod. Though Rod's knife was found by Jackie on an unrecognizable corpse, IIRC.

I don't have the book with me now and won't have access to it until next week; anyone picked up a hint about who the mysterious Bad Guy(s) are?




We never do find out who killed Braun, or who assaulted Rod. I'd say that one of theMcGowan brothers is the best bet though.

One thing re Tunnel that I've wondered about.....that super nova must have been the star next door. It didn't interfere with the initial transport, so it must have happened immediately afterward. As it was visable to the students, it had to have been really close and as bright as a small sun. Maybe i'm missing something?


Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF