View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Heinlein on Facebook -- The Heinlein Society facebook page 

Post Re: Heinlein on Facebook -- The Heinlein Society facebook pa
Quote:
It would be nice if any of these breezy passers-by stayed for more convo, but in my experience it's 1 in a 1000. I get thinker's comment about this forum being "too much" for novices...

Jim, I'd love to contribute more, but I must confess to being more than a little overwhelmed by the level of conversation... it's not really for the novice, nor the faint of heart!
I could be regarded as one of the "breezies" referred to above, as I'm a relative newcomer to the forum who has contributed little to the dialogue; but it's not for lack of desire, it's because I'm not used to it (yep, that speaks volumes for the quality of discussion available).

Quote:
My considered conclusion is that Heinlein just doesn't have as many fans as we'd like to believe;

That's not to say that my interest in Heinlein, or his effect on my own thinking, is at all minor... I consider him to have been a primary influence - not just for the ideas that lurk behind the story lines, but because of the voice in which he wrote - clear, no-nonsense, certain. That voice became a dear friend in my mind as I grew up and read more of his work - a patient uncle who had the time to spend with his green young nephew.

Finding the forum and the Virginia Edition came as a complete surprise - Heinlein titles had just begun to reappear in the bookstores here (a limited range of paperbacks - usually only SIASL and TMIAHM) and never a hardcover to be seen. I had begun to think RAH was a relic of a bygone era whose writings and wisdom lived on only because I would bring them into a conversation.

Reading the forum was a knockout; I was frankly amazed. A bunch of Heinleins conversing ;) !! Here were clear positions, clearly stated, carefully argued, intelligent observation; there was wit! Real wit - crafty wit, sly digs, dry observations, nudges, winks, belly laughs and genuine good humour - mixed in, too, with chagrin, compassion, disgust and resignation at the plight/stupidity/sadness/whatelse of our society and fellow man. There were opinions expressed where it was obvious the person voicing them had a genuine interest and concern for our human race as a whole; where there was thinking in the big picture level that Heinlein used to write in.

'Fraid I was struck dumb. I could pass for articulate in usual company; I was having trouble formulating my sentences in the face of such well-spoken company :oops:
It's actually been a "growth experience" - the ideas that have bubbled under the surface for so many years have lacked development for the lack of a forum in which to discuss them.
So much so, that I find they aren't fully formed at all, they're only just germinating. All a bit overwhelming, atcherly. :shock:

Don't think that you're alone here - the usual culprits are posting regularly - yourself Jim, Peter Scott, Rob Pearson, Catherine, Bill Mullins, Dan Henderson, Nick Doten, to name those who come quickly to mind - but there are the likes of me, too, hovering on the edges and soaking up the camaraderie, and enjoying the banter, the cheek and the intelligence. And the light you have lit in the darkness illuminates us all, not just those who post.

So maybe it is a bit much for the "novice", but there is value here, and every visitor is potentially a stayer. And the novice aspires to something greater, surely?
We just need to find our voice and start chipping in.

So if there's a reader out there whose a guest on the forum: if you enjoy listening but don't quite feel up to talking yet, sign up, and let us know that RAH is an important part of your reading.

And if you're a not-contributing-very-much forum member like me, at least post a "Hear Hear" to let these good folk know that the room isn't empty of listeners, though it may lack a few speakers.

...and if there "ain't nobody here but us chickens" ... well, it's a small but appreciative audience.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Clarification:

I meant the quality of discussion available outside this forum requires less expenditure of intellectual effort, and generally lacks the rational rigour found here.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

This is the saying I selected for the next week. I posted it on Facebook just now.

We’re simply trying to survive—and the first principle of survival is not to worry about the impossible and concentrate on what’s possible.

Heinlein, Robert A. (2011-04-19). Have Space Suit - Will Travel (Kindle Locations 962-963).

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Dominic, nice posting, and there's hardly anything lacking in your critical thinking processes as far as participation in these fora. If you have a thought, post it, see how it goes.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

JamesGifford wrote:
My considered conclusion is that Heinlein just doesn't have as many fans as we'd like to believe; there might be 100 million people who have read a book by him, but as you go up the ladder of having read more than one book, having actively tried to read a number of his books, and into having read most of his books and wanting to be chummy with others who have... well, folks, we're it.

I have this nascent notion that Heinlein fans are more numerous than we think and there is simply a silent mass. I like to think this is because they are too busy building SpaceShipTwo and its brethren; and certainly the commercial space development cadre that attended the Centennial fell into that category; definitely not 'fen'. Being a Heinlein fan might be like being a fan of salt; even though you use it every day doesn't mean you feel the need to discuss it with fellow salt users.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

This is a posting from Jan. 21. It is a link to a Heinlein timeline I built for a new reader that wished to read Heinlein in order. When first asked I put a shorter timeline on Facebook. It didn't work properly because Facebook doesn't have very good formatting tools (none). Even-so the reader response was great. So I built a better timeline and posted it on the THS website [link below].

Facebook post [Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hein ... 862?ref=hl]
Please post comments or questions about this timeline here.
HEINLEIN TIMELINE | The Heinlein Society
www.heinleinsociety.org [THS webpage URL:http://www.heinleinsociety.org/category/heinlein/raharticles/]
On January 7 I posted a Heinlein timeline on the Heinlein Facebook page for a reader who asked for assistance in determining the order of Robert’s books. The post drew a lot of looks, many more than I expected, so I decided to crea

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 am
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
I have this nascent notion that Heinlein fans are more numerous than we think and there is simply a silent mass.

I think you have to draw fandom's line between "fans" and "readers," here. There may well be millions who have read a large handful of Heinlein but have never thought it worth saying much about it. I think the number of people who have read enough Heinlein to be moved to discuss it are a much smaller number than we've led ourselves to believe.

It was always the goal, in every iteration of Heinlein forums, to be welcoming to the most tentative new participant without driving the hardcore types away in boredom. I'm not sure any instance, whether those I organized or predecessors and others, every really succeeded. I don't know what it would take to maintain a meeting ground that accommodates those halfway through their first RAH and those who will scream and have a grand mal seizure at their fiftieth encounter with "was Eunice black?" ...and I say that having tried to create that space for some 15-20 years.

I can't think of a time a newbie was actively scared off, but I can see why they'd be loath to start a thread amid the central pack of Sons of Heinlein, wearing our battered kuttes and grunting about battles past.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 am

This is a Facebook page post from Jan. 21

The Old Heinlein Site

The current Heinlein Society webpage runs on WordPress. It hasn’t always been on WordPress. Only recently was this change made. I call this to your attention because lots of information that is part of the site from the 2003-2004 era hasn’t been transferred to the new WorldPress site yet. There are many pages of great info still available on the old site. New Heinlein readers will benefit from looking at this material. Go have a look. http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/index.htm. Note the links on the left side of the page. Use these links to move around the old site. I suggest you bookmark this page. Another page that includes a tremendous amount of info is the Concordance page. Look down the left side and click on Concordance. It’s an amazing who’s who and what’s what for many, many Heinlein books and stories. Happy reading.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Dominic - great couple of posts. Please continue to contribute here. You may well make up for my late lethargy. :D

This Forum - may it live forever - stands as the premier repository of - what? Intelligent Heinlein discussion? Yes. Old, weary Heinlein-loving curmudgeons? Check. But the folks here are also very welcoming, and will never treat you with less than respect, as long as you return the favor. Post away.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 am
Profile WWW

This is the Heinlein Facebook page post from: January 20.
Facebook page URL: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hein ... 862?ref=hl

It's another Heinlein quote.

Customs tell a man who he is, where he belongs, what he must do. Better illogical customs than none; men cannot live together without them. From an anthropologist’s view, ‘justice’ is a search for workable customs.

Heinlein, Robert A. (2011-09-20). Citizen of the Galaxy (Kindle Locations 1824-1826). . Kindle Edition.

These get the most interest so I post 1 per week.

Have a good day everyone!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next