View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Quotes 
Post Quotes
Hello all,

I am trying to source a quote that I believe to be from Lazarus Long, but cannot find any record of it.
The quote I recall goes something like " you can no more stop men from politicking than you can from fornicating". Can anyone point me to a source?

Thanks

Anthony

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Post Re: Quotes
Anthony Callanan wrote:
Hello all, I am trying to source a quote that I believe to be from Lazarus Long, but cannot find any record of it.
The quote I recall goes something like " you can no more stop men from politicking than you can from fornicating". Can anyone point me to a source?
Thanks
Anthony

I'm a bit tardy on this one, just stumbled across your post.

Time Enough for Love
"Variations on a Theme: III"
page 111 in Ace softcover

"I didn’t have much hope for it. Man is a political animal, Ira. You can, no more keep him from
politicking than you can keep him from copulating—and probably shouldn’t try. But I was young then,
and hopeful. I hoped to keep politicking in the private sphere, keep it out of government. I thought the
setup might last a century or so; I’m amazed that it has lasted as long as it has. Not good. This planet is
overripe for revolution—and if Minerva doesn’t find me something better to do, I might show up under
another name, with my hair dyed and my nose bobbed, and start one. So be warned, Ira.

(please keep in mind that the Lazarus quote above may, in fact, be a "blatant falsehood, a self-serving allegation, or an amoral anecdote not suitable for young persons") ;)

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]