View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
What would RAH think about "GUN COTROL" 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: What would RAH think about "GUN COTROL"
JamesGifford wrote:
The NRA's arguments tend to be sweeping - Brooklyn and Flyspeck, Oklahoma should have the same minimal permit laws, if any such laws are needed at all. It's nonsense on the face of it, like saying all roads should have a 65 MPH speed limit.

That is a brilliant analogy.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:54 pm
Profile WWW

I am glad I started a interesting dicussion thread, that was my reason to join up. In another section I wish the aliens among us would give up their "MASQUARADE" in order to bring order to our species. I do beleive the jump in intellect from the lower primates to the higher ones Orangutangs and chimps no where approachs the jump the higher ones to homo sapiens. This is either due to a spiritual addition " a soul" or as I contemplate interference fom some out side agency. Excuse my improper cosmological term, but I feel it is a accepted "SCIENTIFIC " fact that galaxies and solarsystem cool from the outside in. Another fact I accept is we are pretty far out from the center of the MILKY WAY. Past the boondocks well into aboriginal or even lesser territory. Using "OCCUMS RAZOR" isn't a fair asumption that we are NOT THE BIG DOG. When I see the mess we seem to get ourselves into, I have to shake my head and say " Where the hell are these awful childrens parents---".
RAH was one of the GREATEST VISIONARIES I know of. He projected and wished for a much better species than we have become.
I wish the human race could live up to his hopes. If it takes my idiotic assumptions to happen, so mote it be.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm
NitroForum Oldster

i think RAH would've proposed a species wide rebellion against any alien trifling in the affairs of man- i'd enlist in that insurrection :) humanity is no one's lab rat

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:49 pm
Heinlein Nexus

So was Heinlein against undocumented aliens?

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

PeterScott wrote:
So was Heinlein against undocumented aliens?

Maybe "undocumentaried"?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:34 am

CharlesO wrote:
When I see the mess we seem to get ourselves into, I have to shake my head and say " Where the hell are these awful childrens parents---".
RAH was one of the GREATEST VISIONARIES I know of. He projected and wished for a much better species than we have become.
I wish the human race could live up to his hopes.

It's only 2012. Heinlein gave us at least until the middle of this century, or the beginning of the next, to realize "THE FIRST HUMAN CIVILIZATION." And despite the occasional day-to-day idiocies we see around us, technology, law and government are all gradually working in that direction. I don't really believe in the "singularity" but I don't rule it out, either.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah but I won't live to see it. Case Sera Sera.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:36 pm
NitroForum Oldster

I happen to be in the middle of a book that covers in part some early history.

Triumvirate by Bruce Chadwick, which is about the writing of "The Federalist Papers" and the adopting of the Constitution.

I am not ignorate of US history but I am amazed just how pro-gun the Founding Fathers were. Thomas Jefferson had a personal armory full of guns and advocated boys at the age of 10 should be given guns.

Personally I was taught to shoot by my father at a young age and was also taught resepect for guns as well. I no longer own any guns because I don't hunt anymore and I have doubts that having a pistol in my home would be any real protection.

All that said I think the policies of the NRA need to be seriously looked at.
It is much to easy in this country to buy weapons, and buy weapons that have no use other than to kill people.

We need serious national gun control. There should be licensing and passing
of classes before legal gun ownership is allowed. Yes I know people will get around the law and criminals will get weapons, but would that lunatic in Aurora, Co killed all those people if he hadn't gotten weapons. And no one
will ever convince me that any civilian needs an "Uzi- type" weapon.

Finally yes I know a future authoritarian government could pull the files and conviscate all the guns, but if your not smart enough to read the signs and
hide your guns, your too stupid to own a gun.

Gracefully stepping off my soap-box to avoid the tomatos and bricks.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 am
Heinlein Nexus

You just described my own position more succinctly and earthily than I could have. Nicely done.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Can't resist:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next