View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Meeting H.G. Wells? With Bradbury? 
Centennial Attendee

Post Meeting H.G. Wells? With Bradbury?
I was recently talking to a pal at a con who said that Heinlein met H. G. Wells when Wells visited Los Angeles in the early 1940s. He said Heinlein invited Ray Bradbury along (I know they were acquainted, probably from LASFS meetings) for this. I asked him how he learned of this, and he said that Bradbury wrote about it in an essay, but he couldn't remember where.

Can anybody point me to the source of this story? I realize that scrupulous attention to historical detail is not Mr. Bradbury's strong suit, but I would like to read his account for myself. And if accurate it would, to express myself in a manner less than scholarly, be cool. Rather like C.S. Lewis and Arthur C. Clarke debating the evils of spaceflight in a pub, with J.R.R. Tolkien looking on.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Post Re: Meeting H.G. Wells? With Bradbury?
You BELIEVED something said about Heinlein at a con? Man, have I got a bridge to sell you. I'd tell you to go look up gullible if that word was in any dictionary.

:D

Yes, he met him at a book signing - nothing more noble or exalted, AFAIK (but The Bill might ring in with more details).

What famously came out of this was a book (The Sleeper Wakes) inscribed to RAH and signed by HGW. It was given to Leon Stover just before Heinlein's death, which all things considering (Stover being a Wells expert who happened to write one of the only positive books about RAH during his lifetime) is appropriate.

I know the book was auctioned or sold some time before Stover's death, but I know not the details.

I challenge all of you to think of a more significant piece of Heinlein realia - inscribed and signed by one of the greatest SF writers of all time to a fan who would become his equal. Borjemoi, I'd love to have that book. Almost as much as... Well, Bill knows the item I'd like to have. Maybe someday.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:53 pm
Centennial Attendee

Quote:
Borjemoi, I'd love to have that book. Almost as much as... Well, Bill knows the item I'd like to have. Maybe someday.

Truly, you are a man of mystery.

Anyway-- book signing, eh? A meeting is a meeting. Wonder if Bradbury got a book signed as well.

For a record of an earlier trip by Wells to Hollywood, see Time for 13 January 1936. I actually have this issue.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,755645,00.html

Sadly, the online version does not include the charming photo of H.G. Wells clowning with the much taller Ethel Merman.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
You BELIEVED something said about Heinlein at a con? Man, have I got a bridge to sell you. I'd tell you to go look up gullible if that word was in any dictionary.

:D

Yes, he met him at a book signing - nothing more noble or exalted, AFAIK (but The Bill might ring in with more details).

What famously came out of this was a book (The Sleeper Wakes) inscribed to RAH and signed by HGW. It was given to Leon Stover just before Heinlein's death, which all things considering (Stover being a Wells expert who happened to write one of the only positive books about RAH during his lifetime) is appropriate.

I know the book was auctioned or sold some time before Stover's death, but I know not the details.

I challenge all of you to think of a more significant piece of Heinlein realia - inscribed and signed by one of the greatest SF writers of all time to a fan who would become his equal. Borjemoi, I'd love to have that book. Almost as much as... Well, Bill knows the item I'd like to have. Maybe someday.

Nothing really to chime in about -- it was a book signing in I believe 1941, and a lot of the LASFS people must have gone, but I haven't seen any other documentation about it than the one or two mentions in Heinlein's correspondence.

Wells did US tours periodically; considering that whenever he was in the area he stopped by to chat with Upton Sinclair, it's a little surprising that Heinlein didn't meet him earlier (except that Sinclair got out of Democratic politics just months after Heinlein became acquainted directly with him.)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:22 am
Heinlein Nexus

As I understand it, Heinlein inscribed it as well before giving it to Stover -- now that is a collector's item....

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]