View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Interesting Photo of Robert and Leslyn 

Post Re: Interesting Photo of Robert and Leslyn
Several years ago (before the biography, and the centennial), I ran across this in the LA Times of Sep 1 1929:
Quote:
Announcement is also being made of the wedding of Ensign Robert Heinlein and Miss Eleanor Curry of Kansas City, which took place June 21, shortly after the young officer was graduated from Annapolis with the class of 1929. Mrs. Heinlein, now in Kansas City, will arrive early in September to make her home in Long Beach, while Ensign Heinlein is aboard the U.S.S. Lexington.

I mentioned it to Bill P. (this was my first email conversation with him), who said that a few people knew details but were sitting on them until the book came out. So I did likewise until I got it into an issue of the Heinlein Journal.

The information has been out there -- nobody bothered to look. Several years ago I spoke to a niece of Elinor on the phone (nice lady), who said it was common knowledge within her family that she had been married to RAH, and was surprised that it was a mystery in Heinlein circles.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:10 pm
PITA Bred

Oh, there's no question that the information was right there in the open... but in many cases, you had to know exactly where to look to find it. The 1932 marriage certificate was a dead-bang giveaway, but the resources of the internet were still feeble and it took old-school searching in records to find the link.

Later, knowing that there WAS a 1st Mrs. and a close reading on the date of the marriage (which, shooting in the dark, could have been any time from about 1926 to 1931 - a helluva lot of records to search in a dozen locations) and finally a name - sure, it's easy now.

It shows up just how peculiar the history of Heinlein studies has been. A major figure, perhaps THE biggest figure in the field for decades... and no one before me in the 1990s took anything like a systematic approach to his work. No one before Bill and RJ ca. 2000 took anything like a methodical approach to his biographical background. It was a closed circle of information - if Heinlein didn't mention it, somehow it didn't exist. And Elinor had stopped being mentioned ca. 1932.

Go back and read the decades of earlier commentary and so forth - it's like a particularly fervid and not very bright bible studies group, endlessly chasing its tail on a very limited and deliberately controlled data set. So it's little surprise that it took 60-70 years for someone to start following up the suppressed clues and, you know, bringing in facts. :D

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 am

JamesGifford wrote:
Go back and read the decades of earlier commentary and so forth - it's like a particularly fervid and not very bright bible studies group, endlessly chasing its tail on a very limited and deliberately controlled data set.

No foolin'. I used to read every RAH-related biographical bit I could find, which basically amounted to that introduction to one of the books by Damon Knight and a few commentaries published in book form that ranged from assinine to not very good. But that was Texas in the 1970s-1990s. (Never did see the Panshin stuff. Just wasn't available, as far as I could tell.)

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm
Heinlein Nexus

holmesiv wrote:
(Never did see the Panshin stuff. Just wasn't available, as far as I could tell.)

You haven't missed much. This AFH thread bashing Panshin for trolling there is more entertaining. One of my first posts to AFH in there, too.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

PeterScott wrote:
holmesiv wrote:
(Never did see the Panshin stuff. Just wasn't available, as far as I could tell.)

You haven't missed much. This AFH thread bashing Panshin for trolling there is more entertaining. One of my first posts to AFH in there, too.

Got the impression I didn't miss much, but there was so little back in the early 70s on the subject, would have liked to have seen it.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2