View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
A Heinlein film, or a Heinlein ripoff? 
PITA Bred

Post Re: A Heinlein film, or a Heinlein ripoff?
Peter Scott wrote:
Uh, I think Jubal needs to be an American.

And less of a languid, boneless fop as well.

Sean Connery seemed to be in the running just about forever for the role (fannishly speaking), but the same argument applies. About needing to be a convincing Leftpondian, not the other. He would have been an excellent Jubal except for that dammmmed burrrrrrrr.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Peter Scott wrote:
Uh, I think Jubal needs to be an American.

Not only an American, but someone who personifies the type of character Jubal is - a crotchety, learned old man who came from humble backwoods rural origins - and capable of being a real bastard. Yep, Hackman fits the bill.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Perhaps O'Toole would be too languid. I suspect he could alter his accent at will. Actually, I guess he would not be a good match (stream of consciousness going on here as I write) - his name occurred to me in light of his speaking abilities which are phenomenal and how that ties to being an attorney.

Although not possible now, would anyone have accepted Jackie Gleason as Jubal? An early Gleason but post honeymooners? Say where he was at in his career when he did the "The Hustler"?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:09 am

I would never attribute anything to the human disease called Manson. The worse thing about that creature is that what good could be gleaned from the counter-culture will always be tainted by it, but if Germany can get over Hitler.... anything is possible.

Now, here is the jab! While in Samoa this last week, seeking anything to keep me sane, the History Channel (a week late out there by the way), was showing some of Chuckles parole hearings and they did not mention he was influenced by Stranger but was influenced by Scientology. I was amused doubley since they had a Scientology Ministries tent set up next to Mac Donalds there. Aren't coincidences just grand! What can I say, since we are talking about "made up" religions. Then again, they all are as far as I'm concerned.

I am only and egg (what's that sulfur smell?)

~Rick

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:35 am

Will Smith as VMS... Let's give the man a break. He doesn't have to play Every Single Lead SF character does he? :D . However, the idea certainly challenged my mental image of Mike. That was a good thing.

Side Bar, I always thought of Reagan as Douglas...no really! I always thought of him that way, when I ever bothered that is.

Jubal should be an American... but Brits play Americans better than Americans and Scots more so. There I go again... trying to stick Sean Connery in there somewhere. Now I did it! I can just see him doing Jubal and the idea scares me, after all, I'd watch Robin Hood just to see him do Richard III for two minutes.

There was a time when I thought that Val Kilmer might serve the Michael role well.

Needless to say... yet I do anyway, all the ideas certainly add flavor to the soup, but no matter, Hollywood would give us the finger in the end.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:03 am
NitroForum Oldster

I like the idea of Morgan Freeman as Jubal and Will Smith as Mike.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:59 am
Heinlein Nexus

Shifting topic slightly... after catching "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" recently, and finding it better than I had expected, I believe I have found the leads for another RAH story... ladies and gentlemen, I give you Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Joseph and Gail Gilead-Greene.

Last edited by PeterScott on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Peter Scott wrote:
Shifting topic slightly... after catching "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" recently, and finding it better than I had expected, I believe I have found the leads for another RAH story... ladies and gentlemen, I give you Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Gail and Joseph Gilead-Greene.

Perfect! And Kettle Belly Baldwin is...Alec Baldwin!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee

Did anyone else think, in 2000, when the commercials started for James Cameron's Dark Angel TV series, that it seemed very much like the setup for Friday? I waited for the first episode with great excitement as Friday is one of my favorite Heinlein characters.
I found the major differences were that
* Friday was trained as a doxy and ran away only to be recruited for military service, whereas the engineered kids in DA ran away from military service to attempt to have ‘human’ lives, and
* Friday's Boss was (at least from her point of view – and mine) one of the good guys, but Max’s ex-Boss was (at least from her point of view) one of the bad guys, willing to kill her rather than have her running free.
The Crazy Years were in progress, the U.S. was effectively a third world country, government was not to be trusted, and corporations functioned as governments.
Since it was television, they introduced an antagonist/love interest in the first episode, and the second season degenerated into a Monster of the Week fest, but there were aspects of the first season I really enjoyed.

Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 pm
Centennial Attendee

JohnBlack wrote:
I could see Jubal being played by any of the following:
Donald Sutherland (yes, yes put aside that he was in Puppet Masters)
Morgan Freeman (I don't recall any racial requirement).
Kevin Spacey
Possibly Pacino (think about that speech he gave at the end of Scent of A Woman).
For Valentine Michael Smith I would suggest Johnny Depp.

A younger Jim Carrey might have been a credible Mike.
And Spacey would make an interesting Kettle Belly Baldwin too...

James Gifford wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:
It appears that Manson did name his son Valentine Michael Manson.
This would be a pretty big leap of faith to believe the choice of names was coincidence.
On the other hand, perhaps this is a case of the chicken or the egg. Did the naming of
the child occur after the appearance of the story that Manson was influenced by SIASL?

Manson was in custody by the time all the stories started circulating. I once ran down
all the details and as best as I can recollect without doing some digging again is that
one of the girls was a Stranger buff, but that Manson himself was ignorant/disinterested

Same understanding here. The only writings Charles Manson was interested in
were the Bible, and the Beatles' lyrics (he literally considered them as prophets).
Later on, he confirmed that he didn't know the name Heinlein, and hadn't read Stranger.

On the other hand, one of the girls, Mary Brunner, was a former librarian. She was
the mother of the first child born into the "Family", and named him Valentine Michael
(V. M. Brunner, rather than Manson, I think, but I could be wrong here).

There's an additionnal weird coincidence. Charles Manson had changed his middle
name to "Willis". But it seems that it was only a wordplay over "Charles' will is Man Son's"....

Sat May 03, 2008 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next