View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
A Heinlein film, or a Heinlein ripoff? 
PITA Bred

Post A Heinlein film, or a Heinlein ripoff?
There is a secretive movie project afoot (barely) that has made many wonder if it's either The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, or a ripoff that will borrow elements from that novel. It's tentatively titled Earth vs. Moon and almost nothing has been announced beyond the writing and production team.

Check out the skimpy Hollywood Reporter article.

The Heinlein trustees have been alerted, so woe to someone if this is a planned borrowage.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: A Heinlein film, or a Heinlein ripoff?
There was an actual screenplay adaptation of TMiaHM out there a few years ago that sounded promising. I guess it went the way of most Heinlein movie deals. I'm tired of every other science fiction movie being a Philip K. Dick adaptation.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Jack Kelly wrote:
I'm tired of every other science fiction movie being a Philip K. Dick adaptation.

I'm almost as big a PKD fan as Heinlein fan, but I'd have to agree that his darlingness with the literati and film crowds is wearing thin.

Since you're tired of old Phil, I won't point you to this recent news item. Well, yes I will. Put on your boggle braces first...

Mr. Dick, meet Mr. Disney. Walt, Phil. (Seriously.)

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:52 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Another possibility is discussed at http://www.nightly.net/movies/universal ... h-vs-moon/ .

This is in that stage of development where movies have about as much viability as an individual sperm in a <expletive deleted>. It must first penetrate the egg...

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

It will be interesting to see the details, even if it never gets greenlighted.

As for sperm in bad places, I suggest you hie over to Apple.com and among the trailers you'll find one for Zombie Strippers. Sit through it if you can. It is so bad Ed Wood would flinch, yet it appears to be a serious production... for limited values of serious.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Now that I've gotten my giggles away from the trials and tribulations of germ cells. Zygotes Unite!... Oops, to late.
Not to mention, the first thing to come to mind was, " A sperm in the hand is worth two.... " Forgive, but I could not resist.

Down to the movie question. This has alway been a sore spot with me. I might trust Jackson to honor the spirit of Heinlein's work and I'd probably enjoy Joss Wheton's adaptations no matter what. My faith stops right there.

Bob would probably want to send me to the woodshed for being so fanatical, but when I hear rumors that they are even thinking of doing "Stranger In A Strangeland" it makes my skin crawl and I begin to have empathy for Muslims who get enraged over the idea of cartoons of their Prophet Mohammed. Most of my reaction is, however, from the "wonderful" (the quotes = sarcasm) job Hollywood has done with almost everybodies work.

Out of all the near misses and down right abominations... I'd have to give Puppet Masters the only star as far as a current Heinlein attempt. Up to the point of going dirt cheap on special effects in the end, the acting was good and except having zero gonads (not back to that again) when it came to not even trying for an artful way of doing operation Bareback (not the mountain) or even Suntan, which they did not, I thought they came close in a cheap sort of way to the spirit of the novel. This is of course is a complete opposite when considering Starship Bloopers as an example on how to ruin an adaptation when you have the budget to do everything but what people really wanted to see. We had seen bugs, we had seen spaceships, we've even seen shower scenes.... ok, maybe not enough of those, but we wanted Combat Suits. Personaly, I've rather have waited for the movie Iron Man to be made to having "Starship Troopers" wasted on that half attempt.

The only positive thing that I can say is that the technology of film making has now reached the point where almost anything can be done and the brite side of it all is those who will profit may have learned a good lesson. Look how long it took for Hollywood to "get it" and make a marketable movie from the MARVEL collection.

Here is the fun part. When we talk about movies, who would you cast in the parts if you could? This one takes up hours on long road trips. Here's a warning, before you reject an option, remember what almost everyone said when they heard Tom Cruise was doing the Vampire Lestate role. ((I screamed the loudest at first)) Now, I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Now I'm going to try and sleep, knowing I'll try and cast the two most impossible roles in my head... Jubal Harshaw and Valentine Michael Smith.

~Richard Jones

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:19 am
Heinlein Nexus

Harshaw - Gene Hackman. No question in my mind. But that's as far as it goes, folks, because we do not live in a world that is capable of making or even appreciating a proper rendition of SIASL on the silver screen. Hell, we're far less adventurous than the late sixties/early seventies at this point - a decade that gave us A Clockwork Orange, Hair, Zardoz, or even Help! for that matter. The world has retreated from the notion of being anything grander when it grows up and is consumed merely with trying to subsist. Ironic considering that the aforementioned flower of creativity bloomed at a time when we lived under the constant threat of total and instant nuclear annihilation.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

Even more significantly, there's no film to make it a sequel of. (Hollywood thinks that) Audiences don't understand movies without numbers at the end of the title.

Today's fun fact: a high-budget remake of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is underway.

Oh, and there's a $100m effort starring Will Ferrell underway to bring Sid and Marty Krofft's cheezy 1970s Land of the Lost series to the big screen.

And they say H'wood has no imagination!

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Let me talk to Hollywood... ((No Don't)) The SiSL sequels are oddly in any of the late "World as Myth" novels. Of course, I'd say they would have to read between the lines to find them...that assumes that they can actually read in Hollywood.
~ James.
------------
Gene Hackman was my Jubal choice also...for many many years. I once considered Geoge C. Scott in the early days. Due to lack of options more than anything else.

Now here is a thought that surfaced after looking over a lifetimes work. Have you considered Robin Williams for Jubal. Now!!! just take a minute and stop choking, Peter, because he has captured some of Jubal's rare qualities.

Alas, I'm still stuck on Michael as the real fulcrum issue. Perhaps CGI is the only answer there and our tech is no where "that" good no matter what I posted earlier. Martians and beasties and anything from J.O.B. would do for that. Oddly though, some of the studies on human reactions to Computer Game "realism" might just apply. If Michael were CGI there would certainly be an off-world feel to him. ;)

I could not agree with you more about the current reversal, and a long-trend one it has been, yet that is more of a cyclic human thing in rapidly advancing mixed cultures. As a general rule, two steps forward, one step back seems to apply. Though, after this last step back, I think we are due for a GIANT LEAP forward for mankind. Of course, my ultimate hope for this country and a civilized world is that before the brown monkeys kill the orange monkey, the orange monkey gets laid enough in the dark to reek havoc with the gene pool. Clockwork Orange, Hair, Zardoz, and Help!.... Peter we are going to have a lot of fun here on these forums if you keep pulling up those memories.

~Rick

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Quote:
Have you considered Robin Williams for Jubal.

/me faints . Gosh, no, I haven't. As long as Hackman breathes, I don't think I could. RW carries too much baggage to be seen with the gravitas the role demands. People would be watching to see when he did the ad lib crazy act.

Ten plus years ago, Tom Hanks could have perhaps pulled off JMS. But this is so hypothetical. Who could even direct it (now that Kubrick is dead)? Hell, who would finance it? And what would the MPAA rating be? Is there one beyond X? "Rated XXX for scenes of graphic violence, full-frontal nudity, group sex, cannibalism, and probably bestiality and incest... we couldn't watch it all the way through."

Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next