View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Heinlein's height 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Alabama, USA
Post Heinlein's height
I did a Google search of the intenet and a search of this forum and could not find Heinlein's height mentioned anywhere. Does anyone know how tall was he?

_________________
Dan Thompson


Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:35 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Juneau, AK
Post Re: Heinlein's height
I believe that he was right around 6'0" if I recall from the Patterson bio.

_________________
"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."


Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 am
Profile
Centennial Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 453
Location: Aurora, IL, USA, Terra
Post Re: Heinlein's height
He appears to have been taller than George Pal, Keith Hetherington, and Dorothy Gardiner:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/i ... directlink

_________________
Bill Higgins
bill.higgins@gt.org
http://beamjockey.livejournal.com


Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 am
Posts: 555
Post Re: Heinlein's height
beamjockey wrote:
He appears to have been taller than George Pal, Keith Hetherington, and Dorothy Gardiner:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/i ... directlink


Probably Michael J. Fox, too.


Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:07 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Juneau, AK
Post Re: Heinlein's height
beamjockey wrote:
He appears to have been taller than George Pal, Keith Hetherington, and Dorothy Gardiner:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/i ... directlink


In the photos I could find on the Web with Ginny he looks about 6-7 inches taller than she, FTR. He apparently had good posture, due to Annapolis and/or the fact that children in his day were not allowed to slouch, which may make him look just a bit taller in photos.

_________________
"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."


Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:24 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Alabama, USA
Post Re: Heinlein's height
RobertPearson wrote:
I believe that he was right around 6'0" if I recall from the Patterson bio.


Thanks. I can't find my copy of the Patterson bio right now so I posted the question here, figuring somebody would know the answer.

_________________
Dan Thompson


Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 453
Location: Aurora, IL, USA, Terra
Post Re: Heinlein's height
Blackhawk wrote:
RobertPearson wrote:
I believe that he was right around 6'0" if I recall from the Patterson bio.


Thanks. I can't find my copy of the Patterson bio right now so I posted the question here, figuring somebody would know the answer.
Robert recalls correctly. According to page 49, at Heinlein's Navy physical on 10 June 1925, he was 6 feet tall and weighed 118 pounds. This would have been just short of his 18th birthday. I don't know whether he grew any taller. See http://books.google.com/books?id=Z93OvsN2yq8C&pg=PA49 .

_________________
Bill Higgins
bill.higgins@gt.org
http://beamjockey.livejournal.com


Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Alabama, USA
Post Re: Heinlein's height
beamjockey wrote:
Robert recalls correctly. According to page 49, at Heinlein's Navy physical on 10 June 1925, he was 6 feet tall and weighed 118 pounds. This would have been just short of his 18th birthday. I don't know whether he grew any taller. See http://books.google.com/books?id=Z93OvsN2yq8C&pg=PA49 .


Thanks. I didn't know the bio was available online.

_________________
Dan Thompson


Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am
Posts: 2110
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Post Re: Heinlein's height
beamjockey wrote:
According to page 49, at Heinlein's Navy physical on 10 June 1925, he was 6 feet tall and weighed 118 pounds.


Wow. 'Beanstalk' comes to mind.


Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 453
Location: Aurora, IL, USA, Terra
Post Re: Heinlein's height
Blackhawk wrote:
beamjockey wrote:
Robert recalls correctly. According to page 49, at Heinlein's Navy physical on 10 June 1925, he was 6 feet tall and weighed 118 pounds. This would have been just short of his 18th birthday. I don't know whether he grew any taller. See http://books.google.com/books?id=Z93OvsN2yq8C&pg=PA49 .
Thanks. I didn't know the bio was available online.
Parts of it are. Google Books, presumably following Tor's wishes, allows you to see a certain number of pages, and search the text, without allowing access to every single page. Handy for checking on details.

For all its limitations, Google Books is amazingly wonderful. We had nothing like it in the century I came from.

_________________
Bill Higgins
bill.higgins@gt.org
http://beamjockey.livejournal.com


Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF