View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Day After 
Heinlein Nexus

Post The Day After
I just rewatched this classic 1983 movie of nuclear armageddon. Pity the effects couldn't have been better; even only a year later "Threads" did a better job. TDA is set exclusively in Kansas City and its environs. Do we have any record of Heinlein rendering judgement upon it?

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 am
Profile WWW
NitroForum Oldster

Post Re: The Day After
PeterScott wrote:
I just rewatched this classic 1983 movie of nuclear armageddon. Pity the effects couldn't have been better; even only a year later "Threads" did a better job. TDA is set exclusively in Kansas City and its environs. Do we have any record of Heinlein rendering judgement upon it?

I don't remember any reaction by Heinlein, but I'm sure he was dismissive. The best scene in the movie was Jason Robards' reaction to the loss of power in his car due to the EMP and the subsequent nuclear flash over downtown KC. Up to that moment, the movie was great. It went downhill quickly from there.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Organizer

Most of it was actually filmed in Lawrence (where I lived at the time) -- the bumper to bumper cars, the huge field house of wounded -- even the people watching missles go up (the missles were seen from KU's Wescoe Hall) -- all that was in Lawrence. So any opinion here is colored by local stuff. Besides, Philip Wylie and Pat Frank wrote the definitive "Surviving a nuke" novels.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:30 pm
Heinlein Nexus

There are few movies whose main problem is a deficit of special effects, but that was one of them. Funny how the whole nuclear Armageddon antifantasy is no longer with us after dominating our thoughts for forty years.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Organizer

Well, the Armageddon books may come back, inasmuch as Pakistan has been handing out How-to Instructions for nukes for the last couple of years.

Wylie's Triumph is probably the one (with On the Beach) competing for most devastating. Wylie's Tomorrow! and Frank's Alas Babylon are a lot more optimistic. There hasn't been that much done with spotty destruction -- which I think is more likely to happen.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:01 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Oh, I fully expect a nuke to go off, killing people, within the next decade; surprised it hasn't happened already. But I don't expect the 20,000 warhead nuclear winter partial removal of the earth's crust scenario to happen in a hundred years or more.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 pm
Profile WWW

Any bets as to who tosses the first one? My money is on either Pakistan or India.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:41 pm
NitroForum Oldster

"on the beach" always left with with an eery and foreboding feeling- at the time, this scenario was a stark and all too real vision of what may be- pakistan and india? highly plausible one may lash out at the other- particularly if pakistan destabilizes - while nuclear weapon use may be regional, it may set other things in motion- where might it go ? you can only hope sanity holds power

the theme of post-apocalyptic life has been broached in many sci-fi stories and movies- it is examined from many perspectives- the common thread woven seems to be that of rebirth and getting it right the next time-it does make me wonder tho..... are we the next time? ..... or just "another time"? heinlein would proclaim his belief that, as a species, mankind will rise from the ashes and ruin- ascendency and decline- is that to be our story? our cyclical destiny?

looking at this and thinking i've asked many questions and provided no answers :) anyone have any ? lol call this my attempt to stir the forum from it's winter doldrums ;)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:33 pm

I might add that if either pakistan or india lobs one, israel might follow, with a lob of its own at pakistan.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:41 pm
Heinlein Nexus

holmesiv wrote:
I might add that if either pakistan or india lobs one, israel might follow, with a lob of its own at pakistan.

Why? Surely Pakistan is not that big a threat to Israel.

I expect the first nuke to be a terrorist act. Nation states have too much to lose.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next