View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever 
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever
I had to post this:

http://www.theimproper.com/Images/Art/palin%20flow%20chart.jpg

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:43 am
Profile WWW
PITA Bred

I was just explaining to my 8yo, who is busy mastering Rubik's Cube, how algorithms work. Part of the discussion was about how insects like ants and termites very likely "think" with nothing but algorithms.

Insects and other low forms of life, it would seem.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 am
NitroForum Oldster

You betcha!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Heinlein Nexus

Jack Kelly wrote:
I agree and I've been saying the same thing for some time now. If Obama is not polling a minimum of 10 points ahead of McCain the day before election day, he is likely to lose because of the "Bradley effect;" subsequently it would be known as the "Obama effect."

Up to eight points now:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/06/poll.of.polls/index.html

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Centennial Organizer

OK -- I think a lot of guys are going to be torn between their racism and their misogyny, which rather amuses me.

The folks calling for McCain's medical records are being stonewalled. Malignant melanoma is likely to kill him dead, and he wants to be President when it happens.

Obama could be the risen Christ, and with brown skin there are a lot of people who will say "Thanks but no thanks" to heaven. I certainly know enough of them.

Between that internal argument and the electronic vote finagling -- not to mention the methods for purging voter rolls -- the outcome is way up in the air.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:37 pm
PITA Bred

"There was no election in 2016."

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm
Centennial Attendee

Tina: Too true to be good or, unfortunately, denied out of hand.
James: I sincerely hope Heinlein was wrong on this aspect of The Crazy Years, but I'm not counting on it.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 am
Heinlein Biographer

TinaBlack wrote:
OK -- I think a lot of guys are going to be torn between their racism and their misogyny, which rather amuses me.

The folks calling for McCain's medical records are being stonewalled. Malignant melanoma is likely to kill him dead, and he wants to be President when it happens.

Obama could be the risen Christ, and with brown skin there are a lot of people who will say "Thanks but no thanks" to heaven. I certainly know enough of them.

Between that internal argument and the electronic vote finagling -- not to mention the methods for purging voter rolls -- the outcome is way up in the air.

I see the pundits are finally starting to talk about the "Bradley Effect" -- even Willie Brown was on local TV today talking about it in reference to the Colin Powell endorsement (he makes a good point I don't think I've heard before -- that there are number of "Obama-esque" officials coming into office around the country. Unfortunately he never defined exactly what he meant by "this kind of candidate," so I couldn't figure out what the -esque was supposed to mean. The amount of gas vapor in this campaign is frustrating).

The pundits are talking about the Bradley Effect (or Bradley Factor) as if it means only racism but that's not what I understand it to mean -- which is simply telling pollsters one thing and voting another way (for which submerged racism can be one reason). I think the closeness of the polls indicates there are a lot of other factors unidentified, and those factors are going to have their biggest effect on the center - which is where the popular vote is going to be decided. It's a curiosity of American electoral politics that the party extremes determine electoral count while the center determines the popular vote.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:38 am
PITA Bred

Bill Patterson wrote:
It's a curiosity of American electoral politics that the party extremes determine electoral count while the center determines the popular vote.

Ah... what? "That goes right up to the edge of being... confusing."

I saw discussion of the "Bradley effect" several weeks ago but only mentioning the term in passing. I think it's more than just race, but a hidden racial bias is at the core of what's meant.

It has a much more sinister (I almost said "darker") side, too. I think President Obama is going to be the target of some virulent hatred never before focused on the Oval Office (I almost said "White House" - this is really going to change all the default terminology...) Only so much hatred can be whipped up against yet another old white guy. Obama being black is going to bring out some real - real scary - loons.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Bill Patterson wrote:
It's a curiosity of American electoral politics that the party extremes determine electoral count while the center determines the popular vote.

Ah... what? "That goes right up to the edge of being... confusing."

I saw discussion of the "Bradley effect" several weeks ago but only mentioning the term in passing. I think it's more than just race, but a hidden racial bias is at the core of what's meant.

It has a much more sinister (I almost said "darker") side, too. I think President Obama is going to be the target of some virulent hatred never before focused on the Oval Office (I almost said "White House" - this is really going to change all the default terminology...) Only so much hatred can be whipped up against yet another old white guy. Obama being black is going to bring out some real - real scary - loons.

Strange -- I was just posting to this when it spontaneously re-set and got rid of everything I had posted.

At any rate, I hadn't intended it to be confusing. I meant only that centrists don't typically tend to be prominent in the party organizations, which tend to be dominated by activists of either right or left(insofar as those terms have any real meaning). Electoral politics is very sensitive to party organization input, while the popular vote doesn't have any particular mechanism for taking party organization into account.

I think you're right about the stuff that's been hiding under rocks and will come out into the open if Obama is elected -- which is good for us as a polity but very unpleasant to have to experience in any case.

OTOH -- we've been through this kind of thing once before; it was a part of the undercurrent of the 1960's, too.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next