View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever 
Centennial Attendee

Post Re: Sarah Palin: Most "Heinleinian" VP Candidate Ever
James Gifford wrote:
The primary piece is Robert James' biographical sketch of Leslyn that was published in the Heinlein Journal a couple of years ago. If you're not one of the few whose library might be able to get a copy through ILL, then you can get a reprint from Bill P.

Issue #9, July 2001. There were some followup short articles and letters in subsequent issues.

It's really a superb article, and he did a spectacular presentation at the Centennial on Heinlein's Women. I wish he were contributing here.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

Yes, he ran down an impressive personal history on her. The collective knowledge went from about a paragraph to about as much as can be learned about an ordinary person. (That is, someone who isn't extensively documented by third parties during their life.)

Dr. J. is, unfortunately, saddled with more than his share of responsibilities and has all too little time to correspond, individually or en masse.

Not many realize that he had a panel or presentation in every single slot of the Centennial. And was grumping because there wasn't time for more. :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:28 pm
Unlike some others, I find it plausible that Sarah Palin is very like a Heinlein character.

The question is, is she Agnes Douglas or Nehemiah Scudder?

-Ian

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:28 am
Centennial Attendee

IanSmith wrote:
The question is, is she Agnes Douglas or Nehemiah Scudder?

There are better options:
Caribou Barbie
Bible Spice
Mooselini

Plus, she's apparently been beatified: http://tinyurl.com/4ve978

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
PITA Bred

Actually, I have to admit that when I first heard the news that McCain had picked Palin, I was intrigued. Off-the-wall, yes. Odd, yes. Interesting and possibly amusing choice, yes.

Then I found out it wasn't MICHAEL Palin.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:02 pm
Heinlein Biographer

James Gifford wrote:
Actually, I have to admit that when I first heard the news that McCain had picked Palin, I was intrigued. Off-the-wall, yes. Odd, yes. Interesting and possibly amusing choice, yes.

Then I found out it wasn't MICHAEL Palin.

Ha! I was using that joke the afternoon the nomination was announced! My version was "I found such a sensible nomination quite refreshing -- until I found out it wasn't Michael Palin." I wonder if that's one of those things that made the rounds, or if it's such a natural thought several people came up with it more or less simultaneously.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 pm
Heinlein Nexus

The best line I heard in days was on CNN from Fareed Zakaria, a guy whose thoughtfulness has always impressed me on his Daily Show appearances, when he said, quite seriously, that the problem "isn't that she doesn't know the answer; it's that she clearly doesn't understand the question."

Watching McCain when he chaperoned her on her latest interview with Katie Couric was hilarious, too. His body language was like a neon sign hanging over his head at a Nevada diner, screaming All-You-Can-Eat Embarrassment.

I keep hoping that any day now the American public will awaken from its torpor like Godzilla emerging from hibernation and say, "Okay, we're done with being idiots; now it's time to get serious." I'm just afraid that it will turn out that there is nothing hibernating and What You See is All There Is.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Heinlein Biographer

Peter Scott wrote:
I keep hoping that any day now the American public will awaken from its torpor like Godzilla emerging from hibernation and say, "Okay, we're done with being idiots; now it's time to get serious." I'm just afraid that it will turn out that there is nothing hibernating and What You See is All There Is.

Oh, it's much more frightening than that: they think they're dealing with reality in realistic, sensible ways. Much more disturbing: They think there's nothing to wake up from.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:51 am
Heinlein Biographer

Sarah Palin never struck me as being "Heineinian" in any dimension -- she's just your typical perky consie chick. However, I've been very amused by the fact that the Black and the Woman got on opposite tickets in this election, so that there is a very real possibility of a Hundred (and Fifty) Year Revenge from Frederick Douglass' betrayal of his feminist constituency. (I don't see any real possibility that President Hussein will get elected).

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:55 am
Heinlein Nexus

Bill Patterson wrote:
I don't see any real possibility that President Hussein will get elected.

Are you basing your projections on polls in obscure New Mexican towns?

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next